Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > Florida Prisons & Jails > Florida - Region 3 Facilities
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Florida - Region 3 Facilities Information and Discussion about the following facilities: Avon Park CI, CFRC-E, CFRC-Main, CFRC-S, Desoto Annex, Florida Women's Reception Center, Hardee CI, Hernando CI, Lake CI, Lowell CI, Lowell Annex, Marion CI, Polk CI, Sumter CI, Zephyrhills CI

Old 08-03-2010, 05:20 AM

It seems obvious the cough is to expel anything hidden -- but I actually tried this (NOT with anything up my butt, though!) and I can't be sure it would expel anything, so I would presume they do a cavity search as well, although Mike didn't mention it.

Well, with these guys all there naked at the same time, they are all feeling the same humilitation, so they are in the same boat. The guards could care less, I am sure, they see it everday and probably wish they didn't have to see the sausages and all swinging around while they are coughing! LOL!

I know, not a funny situation, but I am trying to find what humor I can, when I can, to survive this! LOL!
The Following User Says Thank You to Mikesprincess For This Useful Post:
Niki (08-03-2010)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2010, 10:15 AM

Yes, surviving is where I am at sometimes.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:06 AM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Thanked 7,664 Times in 3,024 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by webgal318 View Post
Thank you. I agree - the newbies are already scared and the veterans don't care.
The picture in your signature - is that your son as a baby?
My avatar is a picture of my son as a baby. My signature pic is his son.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:02 PM

How old is your grandson now? He is so sweet. I am so sorry that your son is missing out on seeing his dad. I am sure you miss your son.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:08 AM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by webgal318 View Post
How old is your grandson now? He is so sweet. I am so sorry that your son is missing out on seeing his dad. I am sure you miss your son.
My grandson is 10 months today. He actually gets to see his father every Sat. and Sun. during visitation. It's better than nothing but he's missing out on so many of the "firsts" that happen- like first time sitting up, first time crawling, and now my grandson is real close to walking but I doubt he'll have his first steps at visitation. I miss my son being with us for holidays, birthdays and his infamous "stop-in"s just to give Momma a hug. But we do go to see him at least one day every weekend so that's a whole lot better than when he was in prison 1000 miles away and we only got to see him once and that was behind glass for one hour.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:19 PM
Dylansmom

Default Central Florida Reception Center phonecall

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacealright View Post
My boyfriend is being sent to the Central Florida Reception Center sometime soon..Does anyone know how long it will be before he can call me? He has my land line phone number, but does anyone know how to transfer his calls from the landline to my cell? Do I have to use a service like Global Tel Link or do the charges just show up on my phone bill? How soon until I can see him?

Please write back, I am very confused and I miss him so much. Thanks.
my son Dylan was sent there last wednesday aug 25th 2010. He said he couldnt call for one week. your other Question I dont know but its alot of money.

Last edited by dylansmom; 08-30-2010 at 01:20 PM..
Old 08-31-2010, 12:13 AM

My friend is there right now and he has been there for five weeks so far. He did send me the visitation forms but told me I have to wait until they send him to his main camp before I can go visit him. The process of approval from what I hear is about 30 days once you send the paperwork in. I am not sure that you will be able to see him until he gets to his main camp.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:35 PM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylansmom View Post
my son Dylan was sent there last wednesday aug 25th 2010. He said he couldnt call for one week. your other Question I dont know but its alot of money.
Welcome to PTO Dylansmom. I think you'll find that this is a great site for information and support.

Your son probably won't be able to call you for at least 2 weeks. The first week they are at CFRC they are mostly in orientation and they don't get the chance to turn in their phone list until they see their classification officer. I'd count on it being at least 2 weeks and possibly longer. I'm assuming that you already have a landline and that he knows the number.
If your phone is relatively new (like past 2-3 months) go ahead and send your son a copy of your phone bill which includes the phone number on it. That will help to expedite approval of your number.

If your phone company allows you to receive collect calls then you may not need to do anything else to be able to receive calls. But if they don't you'll need to set up an account with Correctional Billing Services. The prepaid option is usually the best because you'll have complete control over how much is spent on calls and they won't block your number as long as there is money in the account. They say they will notify you if the balance gets low but in my experience they don't actually do that so we keep track ourselves on their website. Here's a link: CBS You might want to do some research if your phone co. does allow collect calls and find out how much his calls will be from CFRC. Often it's cheaper going through CBS and you can check how much calls would be through CBS by clicking on the general information tab and then selecting the rate my calls option. Just enter your phone #, the name of the prison and select 15 minutes for call length (that's how much time DOC allows) and it will tell you how much your calls will be.

You've already found the Florida forums which are a great place to get information about DOC and the individual prisons. My son is currently at Tomoka CI in Daytona Beach. He was at CFRC from 11/19 until 12/31/09.
I'd like to invite you to check out the Parents Forum of PTO as well. Here's a link- Parents Forum . We all understand what it's like to have a child in the prison system and we help each other get through this sometimes rocky adventure. No one understands what a parent goes through when a child is incarcerated unless they have been through it themselves. Other family members and friends typically don't understand why this affects us so profoundly so we lean on each other to get through one day at a time.
I hope you'll join us
Old 08-31-2010, 12:47 PM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsWifey View Post
Best to contact Correctional Billing Services (you have to contact them by phone to set up an account).
Good news! You can now set up your account online with Correctional Billing Services.

The prepay is the way to go. CBS holding times suck sometimes so have patience. The faster it's set up, the better off you are with getting your loved one's phone calls. You can pay online or by phone if you have a credit card, check card or prepay credit card once your acct is set up. Good luck!
More good news! I recently discovered that CBS has an online chat feature where you can make changes to your account (like adding phone numbers) or ask questions. The wait time is usually very minimal and you don't have to worry that you won't be able to understand the person you end up talking to. I'm loving it!!!
Old 08-31-2010, 12:48 PM
Account Closed

My husband was at CFRC before being transferred. They will not be allowed to call while there. They have to wait until they get to the final place to be able to call. I would wait before setting up an account with CBS until you find out where he is going to be. Most places use CBS but from what I understand the private facilities use someone else. As for visitation it only took us 2 weeks for a response. Good Luck!
Old 08-31-2010, 12:53 PM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyA68 View Post
My husband was at CFRC before being transferred. They will not be allowed to call while there. They have to wait until they get to the final place to be able to call. I would wait before setting up an account with CBS until you find out where he is going to be. Most places use CBS but from what I understand the private facilities use someone else. As for visitation it only took us 2 weeks for a response. Good Luck!
My son was able to call from CFRC the last 2 weeks he was there. I think it just depends on how quick they get their list turned in and how quick the Classification Officer chooses to submit it for approval. In dealing with DOC patience is most definitely a virtue and is something that most of us lose before long.

We got our visitation approved within 2 weeks at my son's permanent prison too. I waited about 10 days after I knew they had received our appplications and then started calling his Classification Officer. He was great about pushing through immediate family members but took longer for extended family and friends. If you call, be nice even if they aren't.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:25 PM

Unhappy Need info on Central FL Reception

Ok so my boyfriend is currently in the central fl. reception center and he has been there for 2 weeks now. I've only heard from him once thru mail. I called and they said he is not allowed to make phone calls or have any visits and also that he'll be there for 4 to 8 weeks which sucks so much. This is the hardest thing ever, not hearing from him for so long kills me! So today i went on the website to see if they changed any of his info. and his custody went from "pending" to "close"!! what does that mean?? ughh i'm so confusedd right now, and he was moved to the East unit yesterday.. i wish i had a clue about what's going on with him.. If anyone can give me helpful information i would reallyy really appreciate it!
Old 09-29-2010, 06:33 PM
Banned

Thanked 2,119 Times in 1,147 Posts

Close means lock down, I think that you can call his classification officer and get any info you need. I'm in south florida if I can answer your questions I will. Welcome to PTO!!!
Old 09-29-2010, 07:29 PM

wow.. why would he be on lockdown.. and do you know how i can get his classification officer's number?? thanks!
Old 09-29-2010, 07:42 PM
Administrator Emeritus
Donation Award 

Thanked 6,545 Times in 3,575 Posts

Close custody doesn't necessarily mean he is on lockdown. While some close custody inmates are placed in an actual cell, many are in open bay dorms along with medium and minimum custody inmates. Here is the information from the DOC website that defines the different custody levels for you:

The system uses five (5) distinct groups, described as custody levels: maximum, close, medium, minimum, and community.
  1. Maximum: Refers to inmates who are under a sentence of death.
  2. Close: Refers to inmates who must be maintained within an armed perimeter or under direct, armed supervision when outside of a secure perimeter.
  3. Medium: Refers to inmates eligible for placement at a work camp with a secure perimeter, but who are not eligible for placement in an outside work assignment without armed supervision.
  4. Minimum: Refers to inmates eligible for outside work assignments, but not for placement at a community residential facility.
  5. Community: Refers to inmates eligible for placement at a community residential facility.
Welcome to PTO!

"To thine own self be true" - William Shakespeare

He's home!!!!
Old 09-30-2010, 05:12 PM

I did 8 months at CFRC. They made me a permanent laundry man. Most guys there never wanted to screw with the phones anyway because half the time they didn't work and they wanted to wait until they got to their permanent camp. Plus, you had to sign up on a phone list and the officers would not want to deal with it. No visits for anyone who is NOT a permanent inmate. As for being a CLOSE custody inmate...a lot of guys there are CLOSE that really doesn't mean a whole lot in Orlando. You can still go to canteen and the yard, the only difference is a lot of times they wouldn't let them out at "night" (dusk) to go to the chapel or whatever. I didn't mind Orlando, but it is a reception center and they are constantly receiving/transferring inmates...so the staff is not inclined to help with things like phones and stuff. I don't know of anyone that was at CFRC for more than 8 weeks unless they were permanent like me. He'll probably get out of there in under 4 weeks...that always seemed to be the magic number around there. They get so many people they HAVE to constantly flip the inmate population.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:40 AM

Wow that's crazyy.. thanx everyone for the info! If ya wanna share more feel free! i need all the info i can get! I feel much better now, i was worried he was in some kind of trouble, he never gets into trouble in there.. So that scared me for a minute. So maybe it's nothing serious.. I'm so glad i found this website, this has helped me out alot, you guys that have been through this for a long time have alot to share and it feels nice to hear that i'm not the only one going through all this! thanks everyone, God bless!!

-Steph
Old 10-01-2010, 11:43 PM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

If he has been moved to CFRC-East that means he is finished with classification. They are most likely just waiting for a bed to open up somewhere that meets his needs for custody level, any medical problems and any programs he might need or want. You can call his classification officer and see if they are anticipating him being there awhile. If he is you may be able to submit a visitation app. to CFRC-East and actually start getting visits there.

Mail is notoriously slow at CFRC. There's one mail room for what amounts to three separate facilities- Main, East and South. I live like 20 minutes from there and mail took an average of 7 days going either way when my son was there.

Has your boyfriend turned in a phone list to his CO yet? If you have a landline and it is new you might want to send your BF a copy of the bill or something that shows the name and address of the phone customer as well as the actual phone #. If the phone isn't in your name, make sure he uses the name of the person who's name is on the bill on his phone list. If he's turned it in and it has been 4 weeks I can give you the name and number of the person in Tallahassee that is in charge of the phone contract. Just send me a PM.

Basically close custody just means he won't be working outside the walls of the prison. Depending on where he ends up he may be in a cell or a dorm. Either way he will be with other inmates with the same custody level. Over time and with good behavior his custody level may be decreased.

Any other questions, feel free to ask. The only stupid question is the one that you didn't ask! Hang in there. Things will get better real soon...Niki
Old 10-02-2010, 10:39 AM

thanx alot for the info! and i dont have a landline yet., hoping to get that asap.. I heard if he doesnt put me on his phone list when he gets to his main camp that he's gonna have to wait 6 months to change it, is that true? thanks againg for all that info it was really helpful!
Old 10-03-2010, 04:58 PM
Administrator Emeritus
Donation Award 

Thanked 6,545 Times in 3,575 Posts

He may have 1 more chance to add you once he gets to his permanent facility. Some will allow them to submit a phone list when they get there. If so, he can add you then as long as you have your phoneline setup and the info to him. If not, he can only add in his update month. His update month is determined by the last number of his DC number. There is a Sticky thread at the top of the FL phone forum that will tell when his update months are. It may be sooner than 6 months depending on what his number is.

"To thine own self be true" - William Shakespeare

He's home!!!!
Old 10-04-2010, 03:11 PM
LOVE knows NO TIME

My boyfriend just got sent to CFRC while he is awaiting placement. From what I have read on here, the mail in that place is very slow. I wrote him the day he got transfered and addressed it his name, DC# CFRC-Main (along w/their address) today I got my first letter from him and he said if I write him I must address it the exact way he did along with his bunk # and all....now I am worried he's not gonna get the first two letters I have sent.
I know he can receive stamps, envelopes, paper and pics, does anyone know if you can send all that stuff in a manilla envelope as long as it is smaller than 8x10?
I am totally new to this. How do they approve the phone list? Are they going to call my number to verify it or what?
I sent him the name number and address it is billed too....Also, I am sending him money through Jpay, do inmates get notified about WHO put money into their account? I hate this!!
Old 10-04-2010, 04:07 PM
I'm NOT broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt'slove View Post
My boyfriend just got sent to CFRC while he is awaiting placement. From what I have read on here, the mail in that place is very slow. I wrote him the day he got transfered and addressed it his name, DC# CFRC-Main (along w/their address) today I got my first letter from him and he said if I write him I must address it the exact way he did along with his bunk # and all....now I am worried he's not gonna get the first two letters I have sent.
I know he can receive stamps, envelopes, paper and pics, does anyone know if you can send all that stuff in a manilla envelope as long as it is smaller than 8x10?
I am totally new to this. How do they approve the phone list? Are they going to call my number to verify it or what?
I sent him the name number and address it is billed too....Also, I am sending him money through Jpay, do inmates get notified about WHO put money into their account? I hate this!!

Hi and Welcome. I know this all seems so confusing and complicated right now, it hasnt been that long since my fiance was there and I was just as clueless.
Mail: I have never put his bunk or dorm number on his letters and he has always gotten them. I put his name and DC #, then the facility name, facility adress and zip code. Be sure to always put full return address.
You can send stamps, envelopes, pics and paper...there is a limit to total number of each that they can have, also you can only send 15 "other's" total at a time (ie. you can write him a 6 page letter front and back and send 5 pictures and 5 envelopes and 5 pieces of blank paper) When I send stamps, I put them on the envelopes and put his name and DC# in the return address spot (I'm don't trust they will get to him otherwise). Yes, you can send it in a 8x10 or smaller manilla envelope, just make sure you remove the metal clasp and dont send padded ones.
Phone: I had to have a landline set up, so I sent him a copy of the work order which had my name, address and the number. No one called me to verify anything, he just kept trying to call every day until he finally got through. I set up a pre paid account with CBS when he was in county jail, and just had my home number added to the account. I would wait and see where he ends up permanently just in case they don't use CBS.
Money: I only use western union now, quick collect online is the cheapest. I had some problems with jpay in the beginning. Yes, he will get a receipt with the amount received and who sent it.
I hope this helps, I know it sucks but it gets easier as time passes and you learn more about the system.
Take care of YOU and PM me if you need/want

"Together we are a circle, no start and no end" -Adam
Old 10-05-2010, 02:29 PM
LOVE knows NO TIME

Thank you Adam's Sunshine for responding so fast!
I am going crazy with worry, somehow I have to learn how to deal with this cause I have 5 long years ahead of me.
I already have an account with CBS (from when he was in county) and have had my land line # added to it. He told me he doesn't need a copy of the phone bill, but I am starting to think otherwise.
I am just so worried after reading everyone's post about mail slowness or non-delivery period that he is not going to get my letters and think I forgot about him. I guess I am just going to have to learn to play this waiting game.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:44 PM
I'm NOT broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt'slove View Post
Thank you Adam's Sunshine for responding so fast!
I am going crazy with worry, somehow I have to learn how to deal with this cause I have 5 long years ahead of me.
I already have an account with CBS (from when he was in county) and have had my land line # added to it. He told me he doesn't need a copy of the phone bill, but I am starting to think otherwise.
I am just so worried after reading everyone's post about mail slowness or non-delivery period that he is not going to get my letters and think I forgot about him. I guess I am just going to have to learn to play this waiting game.

You are very welcome!
Send the phone bill, if he doesn't need it then he can throw it away, but if you don't send and he needs it then that is just going to add more days of not talking...can't hurt
I got a letter from Adam about 10 days after he got there, it took my letters to him about 5-6 days (they don't get mail on weekends) from Tampa area. This was a really rough time for both of us, but we got through it, and so will you and your man. He will get your mail, just try to be patient and know that this is just a transitional phase and it will end soon enough.
Yes, the waiting game is no fun...in fact I have been playing since yesterday waiting on a phone call from him. He is at Santa Rosa, where they just opened the new Blackwater prison today, so they were going to be transferring some inmates there and I dont know if that has something to do with not hearing from him. I know he wasn't on the list to transfer there, but they still may have them on lockdown or something. I guess I will find out when the game is over
Take care of yourself and try not to worry too much, it's easy to let our minds wander into places they should not go.
Feel free to PM me if you want to keep in touch or just need to vent

"Together we are a circle, no start and no end" -Adam
Old 10-06-2010, 01:29 AM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

MattsMom- Try not to worry about the slow mail. The inmates are well aware of how slow the mail can be. They know that there is nothing done with the mail on the weekends. It doesn't get sent out, it doesn't get delivered and it doesn't get opened and checked.

He may not know for sure whether they are going to want your landline paperwork or not. The CO's often don't tell them that is a possibility. But if you know he has already turned in his phone list and it's been 2 weeks or longer you can try calling Mr Larry Purintun in Tallahassee at 850-410-4180. He is the DOC employee that is in charge of the contracts for phone services for all of the DOC facilities with the possible exception of the private ones. He can check on the status of the phone approval and he will send an email to the Securus people who actually do the approvals. They will call you pretty quickly once they get his email (like within an hour or two) and he will usually tell you to call him back if you don't hear from them in a certain amount of time. If the Securus people need that phone paperwork they will give you either a fax number or an email address to send it to them. If that's all they needed to approve the list it will get taken care of in a matter of an hour or so.