Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Texas that do not fit into any other Texas subforum.

Old 10-26-2007, 02:33 PM

Default Alcoholism Help for newly released

He just got out on DWI and has started it again..........What would happen if we went to parole officer to try and get him help? What can we do to try and get him help AA is not working at all.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2007, 02:59 PM
Donation Award 

I see that you are in the DFW Area. I'm not sure whether or not it is still in operation but The Salvation Army in Forth Worth use to have a Day Treatment Program that was based on income and it was quite good at the time that I knew what was going on. If he wants to help himself, I would certainly recommend that he check with Salvation Army in both Dallas and Forth Worth. If they do not have an active program, they may be able to refer you elsewhere.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:03 PM

What lormur said. The packet my hubby received in the parole orientation was all about how the parole officer should be seen as someone who wants to help not someone who will instantly revoke. I don't know how true that is. Our parole officer can't seem to see the broken beer bottles that he has to walk over to get into the house so not sure what he'd do if we brought it up.

If you contact the parole officer, just be prepared for any outcome. Good luck and know that you are definitely not the only one in this situation.

Old 10-26-2007, 05:46 PM

Unfortunately, AA and other 12 step programs are almost all that is offered as far as treatment goes, even though they are NOT treatment at all, but merely a support group, and one with definite religious flavorings at that. AA's own triennial study of its membership revealed a 5% success rate--actually a lower rate than the rate for those who do nothing at all. This may have a lot to do with the fact that today so many AA meetings are filled with coerced attendees who do not want to be there at all.

The success rates are somewhat better with cognitive-behavioral therapy, but not a lot.

There are some new medications out there that are helping some alcoholics. Acamprosate is one of them. Here is an excerpt from an online article I read:

"Medications To Treat Alcoholism
Alcohol Research & Health, Spring, 1999 by Bankole A. Johnson, Nassima Ait-Daoud
Advances in neurobiology support the development of medications to treat alcoholism by modifying the activity of specific chemical messengers (i.e., neurotransmitters) in the brain. Among the most promising new medications is acamprosate, which appears to decrease the intensity of craving after a person has stopped drinking. Naltrexone ([ReVia.sup.TM]) has been shown to decrease alcohol consumption, although its practical effectiveness may be compromised by poor patient compliance and other factors. Ondansetron shows promise for decreasing drinking and increasing abstinence rates among early onset alcoholics, who respond poorly to psychosocial treatment alone. Researchers are investigating whether the use of specific medications in combination can further enhance their effectiveness. Additional research is needed to determine how medications interact with different psychosocial factors and treatments."

Addiction is being shown to be a disease of the brain chemistry, NOT a moral failing or a character defect, and as such, should be treated medically and scientifically. Have you seen the HBO special, "Addiction"? It has a really good segment on alcoholism and how the new medications are helping people.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:54 PM

I'm sorry to hear your trouble. unfortunately, I feel if you seek help from the PO he will go back in. That happened w/ one of my sons. I will pray for you...