Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > SOUTH CAROLINA > South Carolina Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

South Carolina Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the South Carolina Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 09-10-2011, 06:03 PM

OMG!!! My man just got transferred to Tyger River on Thursday and I was very excited and nervous to see him because this was a "new experience" I waited in the blazing sun only to be denied visit because I had on a hat! I was so upset because at the other facility he was at the hats were allowed. I asked why we could not wear hats and could not get an answer. Needless to say, I told the CO that I would throw the hat in the garbage or whatever and they still would not let me in. I mean this is the first time I have visited there and for me to drive as far as I did I was very upset. The CO had a hat on but the visitor cannot? I just don't understand.....
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2011, 09:56 PM

Oh my,((hug)) I'm so sorry. That is one of my biggest fears when i'm able to visit. How soon will you be able to go back?
The Following User Says Thank You to giavana2007 For This Useful Post:
hawksgirl (09-11-2011)
Old 09-11-2011, 08:31 AM

I am going back today with no hat. Hopefully everything else will be up to par. I have never been turned away due to something I had on, it was only because he could not have a visit due to be in lockup or lockdown. But you best believe I will be on my p's and q's from here on out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by giavana2007 View Post
Oh my,((hug)) I'm so sorry. That is one of my biggest fears when i'm able to visit. How soon will you be able to go back?
Old 09-11-2011, 02:06 PM

Very glad to know your getting to go visit today They didn't tell you he was in lock up when you went? Smh...wow. How nice of them.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:37 PM

Actually he was not on lock up this time. I was just meaning that was the only time that I have ever be turned away from a visit. I was able to visit him today and it was a new experience for each of us. It was a good visit but just different. I have got to get used to this change of pace on a Level II yard vs a Level III yard.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:23 AM

Glad you had a great visit What are the differences between the lvl 2 and 3?
Old 10-23-2011, 09:00 AM

Default Visitation Questions

Our son has been in Kirkland for over a month . When he gets phone time we get the calls .. If they are on lock down we wait until it is over ..

I sent in our visitation forms - Now what ?
I dont know who to call to even know if we have to schedule this visit or just show up on visitation days to Kirkland ?

The number I have is for the visitation center where the forms are turned in to - yet the voice mail is ALWAYS FULL.

Please fill me in on exactly how to visit and for it to go smooth. I have read some horror stories..

I sent in like 7 visitation forms for me dad and his siblings and his fiance
( I know they probably wont allow her to visit )

How do I find out where to go or what is the days and times to visit or even WHO was approved ?

As far as the money for the snacks - Exactly what do I take ? Also I read stories where people money was sniffed by dogs and they were turned away ..

No one in our home does drugs -- how difficult is this process going to be ?

If he gets on lockdown for the phone he will never be able to tell us anything .

Any help you could give me with this one ?

Thanks so much for helping me out !
Old 10-23-2011, 03:59 PM
Account Closed

It takes normally 2-3 weeks for the visitation forms to be approved. He will be notified when you are approved and he will be responsible for letting you know when that occurs. You are correct that his fiancee will not be able to visit while he is at Kirkland. Only immediate family can visit.

Visitation is held Monday-Friday and you have to call Kirkland (803-896-1521...tell them you need to schedule visitation with a R&E inmate) to schedule an appointment one week in advance of visiting. Visitation is held from 12-2pm and you are allowed to visit twice/month.

As far as money, you will have to buy a Paykey at Kirkland. No cash is allowed inside the prison. You will need to bring a $5 bill to buy the key and then $5s, 10s or 20s to fill it. The key will hold up to $50 at a time, but the machine will not accept $1 bills. You can only bring your license and keys with you inside. You can wear a watch and a pair of stud earrings and a necklace with a religious symbol and that's it. Once he moves to another yard it relaxes in some cases.

I never encountered the dogs at Kirkland. Honestly visitation there was easier for me than at his permanent yard. Most times if you are respectful to them they are respectful to you. I didn't have any horror stories while he was in R&E and he was there for 75 days. I visited him several times while he was there and each one was fine. The only nightmares I have run into have been on his permanent yard, but that's only because they have a bunch of yahoos working there.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:49 PM

Pay keys at Wateree have increased to $6, have to have $5 and a $1.
The Following User Says Thank You to beachmomma For This Useful Post:
choclgs (05-17-2013)
Old 05-17-2013, 01:04 PM
Carolina traveler
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,775 Times in 2,548 Posts
Default Inflation???

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmomma View Post
Pay keys at Wateree have increased to $6, have to have $5 and a $1.
Wow, have they posted a reason for the increase? I just purchased one a month ago where my love was and it was still $5, but it looks like I'll be purchasing another one if he has to move soon. They should at least offer some kind of exchange because the paykeys aren't transferable between all SCDC institutions.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:34 AM

I talked with someone at the vending company and they told me that you can get a refund if the move was -i cant remember their wording- but not the inmates "fault". I have called twice and not gotten how exactly that works but I've called twice and no one who really knows is available. Also, at Turbeville, it says the recharge takes $5, $10, $20 but it does take $1. We almost didn't get to visit cause we had $1 and my daughter was going to run them back to the car (Wateree machine took $1) and the guard said we could not visit if return to our car. At Wateree, as long as you hadn't checked in, you could go back to the car. I was ready to throw away the $1 when the guard said it took them. CLEARLY not what the sign said.....lol. and my daighters jeans were too tight but they let us in anyway when she found out he was a transfer as they "are stricter" there per the guard.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:58 PM

so this may be a dumb question...I read online about visitation and what to wear. I comlpeted understand you can't wear low cut clothing, jewelry, things with metal, etc. So this ultimately makes me look at my wardrobe and think to wear sneakers, a sweatshirt, and yoga pants with a sports bra for fear even a bra would set off the metal detector. I am really nervous about visiting my boyfriend and want to do everything to see him without being turned away. Would yoga pants be too revealing? they flair at the bottom like jeans, look like dress pants but are fitted through the thigh....like every other pair of pants i own except sweatpants.
I know this is dumb...so I am asking are bootcut yoga pants safe?
Old 12-01-2013, 02:26 PM
Carolina traveler
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstimer319 View Post
so this may be a dumb question...I read online about visitation and what to wear. I comlpeted understand you can't wear low cut clothing, jewelry, things with metal, etc. So this ultimately makes me look at my wardrobe and think to wear sneakers, a sweatshirt, and yoga pants with a sports bra for fear even a bra would set off the metal detector. I am really nervous about visiting my boyfriend and want to do everything to see him without being turned away. Would yoga pants be too revealing? they flair at the bottom like jeans, look like dress pants but are fitted through the thigh....like every other pair of pants i own except sweatpants.
I know this is dumb...so I am asking are bootcut yoga pants safe?
It's really up to the CO and what they view as "allowable" because I've seen people turned away for tight pants and others allowed in. Same for shirts/low cut tops.

Do not wear yoga pants, they may say they're too tight. You'll be safer wearing sweatpants, It's not fashionable but I know a few who have just to avoid conflicts. The part about them being "fitted through the thigh" is concerning. If you wear a long, loose shirt that covers half way over your thighs, it may be alright. The sports bra is a good idea if you don't own anything wireless.

I've just resorted to wearing the same few pairs of jeans I've known have been okay to not have to worry about it all. It's one less thing to worry about when all you want to do is relax and enjoy your visit.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:11 PM

My son's cousin sent in her visitation form but her physical address was not the same as her DL ( why hasn't she changed it????). I think she got denied. Can she resubmit when she gets everything proper or is there a time limit on reapplying?
Old 12-12-2013, 08:00 PM
Carolina traveler
Donation Award 

[quote=beachmomma;7263592]My son's cousin sent in her visitation form but her physical address was not the same as her DL ( why hasn't she changed it????). I think she got denied. Can she resubmit when she gets everything proper or is there a time limit on reapplying?[/quote]

I don't believe there is. If she was denied based on inaccurate address information, she needs to correct it and reapply.
Old 09-20-2015, 03:59 PM

Default Denied Visitation

Anyone know how to appeal a visitation denial? I never received the denial letter because I moved but I called and was told I was denied because of a 10 yr old record for a minor offense. Any and all help is appreciated. Feeling hopeless
Old 09-29-2017, 03:00 PM

Default Help !!!

I was wondering what scdc visits are like. Are you able to touch the inmate ?
Old 09-29-2017, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiashell View Post
I was wondering what scdc visits are like. Are you able to touch the inmate ?

Yes, we are allowed one kiss and one hug to greet each other and when it's time to leave.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sirod9115 For This Useful Post:
Indiashell (09-29-2017)
Old 09-29-2017, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirod9115 View Post
Yes, we are allowed one kiss and one hug to greet each other and when it's time to leave.
Cool thanks so much. Also do they still allow you to do the picture thing
Old 09-29-2017, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Cool thanks so much. Also do they still allow you to do the picture thing
They do but your LO has to purchase the tickets in advance and there is always the chance that they just don't take pics the day that your there. That has happened to me twice.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sirod9115 For This Useful Post:
Indiashell (09-29-2017)
Old 10-14-2017, 11:39 AM

Hi I wanted to know how long is visitation
Old 10-14-2017, 09:29 PM
Carolina traveler
Donation Award 

Quote:
Hi I wanted to know how long is visitation
Saturdays and Sundays are 8am - 12pm or 1pm -5pm.

Holidays are 9am-12pm or 1pm-4pm.

Some facilities have Friday visits, you have to check with your loved one for the times as they vary.
Old 04-21-2018, 11:05 AM

My husband just got to R&E about 2 weeks ago. I already filled out the visitation form for me and my children. I was just wondering how marriage is verified. Will I have to show our marriage certificate? Just need to know if I need to go get another one as ours was in our lock box that I lost the key to.
Old 04-21-2018, 11:47 AM
Carolina traveler
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuvallsWife View Post
My husband just got to R&E about 2 weeks ago. I already filled out the visitation form for me and my children. I was just wondering how marriage is verified. Will I have to show our marriage certificate? Just need to know if I need to go get another one as ours was in our lock box that I lost the key to.

Yes you need to provide a copy to verify/prove your relationship to him. You will also need the long version of your children's birth certificate as well.
Old 01-20-2020, 05:08 PM
Carolina traveler
Donation Award 

Default SCDC Twitter

Follow Twitter for up-to-date visitation information

https://twitter.com/scdcnews?lang=en