Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > LOUISIANA > Louisiana Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Louisiana Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events Current news items and information on events related to the Louisiana prison & criminal justice systems.

Old 02-24-2020, 07:14 PM
Crazy Cajun Super Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 19,290 Times in 7,483 Posts
Default Louisiana Continues to Imprison People Past Their Release Dates

A Department of Corrections official knew the extrajudicial practice was going on but little has been done to correct it.

The head of Louisiana’s prison system knew the state was keeping thousands of people behind bars long past their release date, according to a new court filing in a lawsuit by Rodney Grant, a man imprisoned 27 days past his court-ordered release date.
In a May 23, 2019, deposition, James LeBlanc, secretary of the Department of Public Safety and Corrections (DOC), testified that he knew the extrajudicial practice was happening for at least seven years.

And, here is the rest of the story....

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LifeTraveler For This Useful Post:
KarmaRocks (03-09-2020), Shine0749 (03-08-2020)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2020, 10:54 PM
Donation Award 

Thank you for sharing this and for remaining so active in this forum!

This is such a sick practice but I'm not the least bit surprised. For the most part, Louisiana does not treat incarcerated individuals like human beings. A lot of the DOC employees view them as "state property"... that term came from a relative of mine who works at one of the prisons. I cringed when I heard her say that and immediately went completely off on her. Even if I wasn't in a relationship with an inmate, I still wouldn't view another human being as anybody's property. But that mentality is all too prevalent in this state. Lord willing, some serious changes to laws and perceptions will start to take effect soon!
Old 03-09-2020, 09:43 AM
Crazy Cajun Super Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 19,290 Times in 7,483 Posts

I wish more people were active in this forum. I've also heard my husband use that reference as "state property". Of course, he wasn't having it, but that doesn't stop DOC employees from referring to them that way.

Families of loved ones in this state seem to have this great fear of Louisiana DOC. What they don't understand is that there is power in numbers, and if more than just a few stood up, some real changes might take place.

The Following User Says Thank You to LifeTraveler For This Useful Post:
Shine0749 (03-30-2020)
Old 03-09-2020, 07:24 PM

Thanked 2,239 Times in 882 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeTraveler View Post
I wish more people were active in this forum. I've also heard my husband use that reference as "state property". Of course, he wasn't having it, but that doesn't stop DOC employees from referring to them that way.

Families of loved ones in this state seem to have this great fear of Louisiana DOC. What they don't understand is that there is power in numbers, and if more than just a few stood up, some real changes might take place.

There are some active advocacy groups based in Louisiana that are hoping to have people help them speak out. The Vera Institute of Justice is a good one. They put out email newsletters that are very informative & they show up. https://www.vera.org/centers/new-orleans

Another active group is Louisianians For Prison Alternatives. I had trouble accessing their site but just saw one of their emails with a link to their info. https://mailchi.mp/splcenter/happy-t...1?e=3debd35ec9

A group that is also very active statewide is Voice Of The Experienced. You might sign up for their news emails to see what they're doing for change. https://www.vote-nola.org/

You are so right- if we don't speak for our loved ones why should others? The louder we are the harder it is to ignore.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GaReform For This Useful Post:
LifeTraveler (03-10-2020), Shine0749 (03-30-2020)