Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW YORK > New York Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

New York Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the New York Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 05-16-2020, 02:09 PM

Question Do's and Don'ts of Writing and sending pictures

Are there any links that can explain what you can write in a letter and what you can't ?
Also, a link for sending pictures, what's allowed and what is not, for certain inmates?
( nothing sexual.. For writing or sending pictures )

There are so many different sites, that say different thing's it's impossible to fully understand. So if anyone has a link that will tell you the actual facts that would be wonderful.
A friend of mine from way back when..has been Incarcerated for 10 years out of 40 Yrs And I just found out, and decided to write. But it's really hard to know what's allowed and what isn't. He is at Clinton Correctional.

Also, has anyone ever been hesitant To say something in fear you may upset or offend them?
I know why my friend is incarcerated, but I do not know all the details, nor do I want too. I do not feel it is my business, I also feel that if they've come to terms or even moved on from the shame they may have felt with their crime, I would never want to make him feel that way again.
( I hope I worded my thoughts clearly )

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2020, 02:55 PM

Thanked 4,316 Times in 2,051 Posts

Can't write about anything illegal. Can't send anything with a map(escape reasons)

You can send emails through Jpay and pics. You can write regular mail. Written or printed up to 5 pages. No crayons. No labels for addresses. Return address must have your full name.

I would keep it light for initial letters. If you write back and forth a bit, you'll get into a groove.
Old 05-17-2020, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by He'sJustAFriend View Post
Are there any links that can explain what you can write in a letter and what you can't ?
Also, a link for sending pictures, what's allowed and what is not, for certain inmates?
( nothing sexual.. For writing or sending pictures )

There are so many different sites, that say different thing's it's impossible to fully understand. So if anyone has a link that will tell you the actual facts that would be wonderful.
A friend of mine from way back when..has been Incarcerated for 10 years out of 40 Yrs And I just found out, and decided to write. But it's really hard to know what's allowed and what isn't. He is at Clinton Correctional.

Also, has anyone ever been hesitant To say something in fear you may upset or offend them?
I know why my friend is incarcerated, but I do not know all the details, nor do I want too. I do not feel it is my business, I also feel that if they've come to terms or even moved on from the shame they may have felt with their crime, I would never want to make him feel that way again.
( I hope I worded my thoughts clearly )

Thank you
I’ve sent only 4x6 size photos and nothing sexual. Well, one I’m in a bathing suit but I’m also with my Son in a pool but it’s more a family photo. I’ve written him sexual things and we’ve had heart to hearts. He’s written to me of his crime and I’ve asked him questions. I say just be yourself. One thing I’ve learned about a man on the inside, they love mail and they love feeling like someone cares. Also, a lot of them are stronger than you know. Don’t be too afraid to offend them because inside there, all they have are their thoughts some times so anything you wanna know they have already played in their mind countless times. So write in your first few letter that you’d love to know more about a situation and see if he takes the bait. If he has a tablet, jpay is a best option too because it’s faster. All you can do is try. Good luck!

I ❤️ You Mr.J

..Waiting is the hardest part in loving someone; you need to wait in order to know that it is true..
Old 05-17-2020, 07:26 AM

Thanked 1,142 Times in 512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsHarley23 View Post
Iíve sent only 4x6 size photos and nothing sexual. Well, one Iím in a bathing suit but Iím also with my Son in a pool but itís more a family photo. Iíve written him sexual things and weíve had heart to hearts. Heís written to me of his crime and Iíve asked him questions. I say just be yourself. One thing Iíve learned about a man on the inside, they love mail and they love feeling like someone cares. Also, a lot of them are stronger than you know. Donít be too afraid to offend them because inside there, all they have are their thoughts some times so anything you wanna know they have already played in their mind countless times. So write in your first few letter that youíd love to know more about a situation and see if he takes the bait. If he has a tablet, jpay is a best option too because itís faster. All you can do is try. Good luck!
Bait is kind of the wrong word, perhaps he might want to share.
Old 05-17-2020, 07:32 AM

also, be clear in your own mind of your intentions. Are you writing out of curiosity? Are you writing for friendship? Out of concern? Because you had a past thing for them?

If you intentions are good ones, then you should have no worries.
The Following User Says Thank You to onedayatatime13 For This Useful Post:
MizzyMuffling (05-17-2020)
Old 05-18-2020, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Sunny View Post
Bait is kind of the wrong word, perhaps he might want to share.
Youíre right, my apologies

I ❤️ You Mr.J

..Waiting is the hardest part in loving someone; you need to wait in order to know that it is true..
Old 05-18-2020, 10:32 AM

I may add a few funny bits on this subject that made me laugh over the years. The process of compliance from loved ones and the prison is a cat and mouse game just like it is with a inmate and prison. Ours just doesn't result as much in direct punishment (until it does of course!)

I will say that if there is intent to do something illegal, you will run the chance of getting in trouble enough to join your inmate. Drugs and talking about cases where you are implicated or weird stuff like that of course you will run that risk. These letters are read and scrutinized and the state feds and justice dept gets more money the more criminals they catch, so don't be a criminal, because that is what they want....

So aside from actual criminal stuff which I dont want to get into, is some funny stuff and tips I can share of my experience.

I got a few letters back. Especially from Jail vs Prison. Now the first time I was scared and saddened and shocked and angry. Then after I while I was desensitized and motivated to solution.

Picture of a few friends and one is flipping the camera off -- that sent back!
Picture of me crouching facing the camera and hands loose -- that sent back!
Picture with a droplet stain of some beans I was eating -- that sent back!
Envelope with a coffee stain -- That sent back!
Letter with DMV paperwork for her to sign -- That sent back!

So this was frustrating to see since I didn't think I did anything bad. But it's the rules so whatever.

What did I do? I simply took scissors and cut out the offending stain or hand gesture then re sent the exact same letter... IT WORKED!

So there are solutions, but all in all it is a back and forth and if you are respectful of the policy and not take it personal, there is ways to make it work.

Now what doesn't work for me was sending the DMV paperwork in. They denied that altogether and we have had to let things like that lapse till she gets home. Sucks.
Old 05-24-2020, 11:34 AM

Are we allowed to send pics of the inmate and loved ones taken together prior to their incarceration?
Old 05-25-2020, 09:32 AM

What about the pictures you send on Jpay email? What is appropriate there to send?
Old 05-25-2020, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter4tempest View Post
What about the pictures you send on Jpay email? What is appropriate there to send?
Whatever you have stamps for. Each picture is one stamp. If one picture is not acceptable, they won't get the email is you attach them all together.
Old 05-25-2020, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slygal View Post
Are we allowed to send pics of the inmate and loved ones taken together prior to their incarceration?
yes, they are allowed pictures of themselves.
The Following User Says Thank You to onedayatatime13 For This Useful Post:
MrsHarley23 (05-25-2020)