Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas Prison and Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas Prison and Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Texas Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 01-25-2020, 12:29 AM

Default Greeting cards banned / The Inspect 2 Protect program

I hear notices have been posted that greeting cards will not be allowed to be sent to offenders as of March 1, 2020. Reportedly this was an official notice posted as an IOC (I think those were the initials). I know rumors run rampant, so not jumping to conclusions. Am I just behind on the change? Anyone know what’s going on with this.....and if true, the why? I would have to assume someone did something stupid and cost everyone card privileges, if rumors are correct.
The Following User Says Thank You to satx18 For This Useful Post:
ilovejames (02-09-2020)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2020, 06:22 AM
The Cowtown Moderator

Thanked 6,546 Times in 1,785 Posts

Don't know the specifics, but more than likely it's to do with prison system's effort to curtail the problem of contraband on both sides of the equation....into prison as well as out of prison.
satx18 (01-25-2020)
Old 01-25-2020, 11:05 AM

Thanked 1,142 Times in 512 Posts

Drugs can be used in the making of decorative paper. That is where all jails will be heading. Crazy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ms Sunny For This Useful Post:
satx18 (02-08-2020)
Old 01-25-2020, 06:52 PM
The perfect bad example

They must be getting ready to go paperless. Electronic mail only.

Does anyone spiral into control?
The Following User Says Thank You to e-Tex For This Useful Post:
satx18 (02-08-2020)
Old 01-25-2020, 08:13 PM
PTO Administrator
Donation Award 

Thanked 37,026 Times in 17,087 Posts

From TDCJ's webpage:

Quote:
Offender Mail

Offender mail procedures will be changed as follows:
  • Offenders will only be allowed to receive mail from general correspondents on standard white paper. Mail received on colored, decorated, card stock, construction, linen, or cotton paper will be denied.
  • Letters sent to offenders may not contain uninspectable substances such as perfume, stickers, lipstick, bodily fluid, powdery substances or artwork using paint, glitter, glue, or tape.
  • Offenders may not receive greeting cards of any kind.
  • There is no restriction on the length of incoming or outgoing correspondence; however, a limit of 10 photos will be allowed per envelope.
TDCJ encourages electronic messaging to reduce the entrance of contraband...
https://www.tdcj.texas.gov/news/inspect_2_protect.html

They're calling it The Inspect 2 Protect program

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
Dirty Hippie (02-28-2020), dtmom2013 (01-27-2020), ilovejames (02-09-2020), marco1969 (01-26-2020), satx18 (02-08-2020)
Old 01-26-2020, 02:42 PM
Billy's Sweetheart

My husband told me this was posted in his unit on Friday. There is a problem with exactly what the website above speaks about inside the unit. He sees it on a daily basis and it has caused several issues. It's a shame that we will no longer be able to send them Greeting cards for holidays and birthdays after 3/1/20 because there are a few bad apples, but unfortunately it is for everyone's safety.

He's also said they there is rumor that books will no longer be able to be sent through Amazon.com, and will only be allowed in from the publisher directly, also no hardcover books will be let in. I am not sure on this, as there was no written notices published yet, so will be calling the mailroom on Monday to find out.
Old 02-08-2020, 03:22 PM

I am hearing it is a K2 issue....somehow attaching K2 to/in cards. A few can mess it up for everyone! They make everything so hard! I hope the book issue isn’t true. I’ve already reset my Amazon account to not use any delivery system except USPS or UPS after having one delivery denied because it was delivered by a PRIME vehicle.....like I could make that delivery choice. So frustrating!

Last edited by satx18; 02-08-2020 at 03:38 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to satx18 For This Useful Post:
ilovejames (02-09-2020)
Old 02-08-2020, 03:37 PM

Just saw this posting on the TDCJ website.......

“Only persons on an offender’s visitation or OTS call lists may deposit funds or make Ecomm transactions.”

What is an OTS call list? (Offender Telephone ??) If I’m on his visitor list I’m allowed to make deposits and send Ecomm? Does this start March 1 also? Sounds like they are definitely wanting to go straight electronic for inbound mail.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to satx18 For This Useful Post:
ilovejames (02-09-2020), patchouli (02-08-2020)
Old 02-08-2020, 04:32 PM
PTO Administrator
Donation Award 

Thanked 37,026 Times in 17,087 Posts

Yes, that's how I read it.....if on the visit list or the call list you can make deposits and/or order ecomm for that inmate. That cuts off one of the ways that contraband is paid for in the prison system No more calling the wife or mom and having them put money on another offender's account or order ecomm for another inmate.

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
ilovejames (02-09-2020), satx18 (02-08-2020)
Old 04-12-2020, 07:49 AM
Cockeyed Optimist

Default Inspect 2 Protect: Rule changes affect offender mail, visitation, accounts

Implementation begins March 1
Inspect 2 Protect: Rule changes affect offender mail, visitation, accounts
“The Texas Department of Criminal Justice (TDCJ) hosted its Houston-area Public Awareness Corrections Today (PACT) conference in late January and discussed several key policy changes affecting offenders within the agency. These changes to the contraband policy are called “Inspdct 2 Protect” and are designed to promote the safety of anyone who spends time inside the penal facility, including offenders, visitors, volunteers and correctional staff.”
https://www.tdcj.texas.gov/news/inspect2protect.html

In summary, 3.5K letters/mo had K2 or something else. Penpals are only allowed to send plain white paper. Anything colored, decorated, or non-standard will be rejected. No perfume, stickers, lipstick, paint, glitter, glue, or tape. Pics can be sent through JPay. Canines will also be used to sniff visitors. Offenders with contraband indicators will only be able to receive money through bank-to-bank transfers and money orders from those on their visitor or telephone list.
Old 04-22-2020, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satx18 View Post
Just saw this posting on the TDCJ website.......

“Only persons on an offender’s visitation or OTS call lists may deposit funds or make Ecomm transactions.”

What is an OTS call list? (Offender Telephone ??) If I’m on his visitor list I’m allowed to make deposits and send Ecomm? Does this start March 1 also? Sounds like they are definitely wanting to go straight electronic for inbound mail.
Yes, you are correct. I have spoken to several people trying to get information on this. You are only allowed to send money if you are on his Phone system Panel they call it the OTS ( offender telephone system) and if you are on his visitation list. It was supposed to go into effect March 1st. But I did speak to someone who told me that it may not be right on march 1st because they are not that organized lol Go figure. But if you are on their list for the phone or visitation you should be good to go to send them money. and exactly. As for the mail they just want straight regular writing paper and no fancy anything pretty much. They found so many SIM cards and decorative paper laced with K2 and other things hidden inside many Greeting cards. It sucks but also a good thing. no birthday or holiday cards anymore. But, i would assume that Jpay will start to take over after a few years. Everything is going electronic. It can be verified and controlled more. And less work for the lazy employees lol. Hope yall are staying safe and god bless!
Old 04-30-2020, 08:39 PM

Does anyone know if under the new rules I can write him letters in colored ink? Like purple or green pens?
Old 06-17-2020, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katietopp View Post
Does anyone know if under the new rules I can write him letters in colored ink? Like purple or green pens?
I am pretty positive you can write in colored pens as well as draw things on your paper, you can even try and create a card just don't make it too fancy lol. Sorry so late of a post I haven't been on in a while. Good Luck
Old 06-18-2020, 09:25 PM
Cockeyed Optimist

Default Cannot Use Address Labels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grad0507 View Post
Implementation begins March 1
Inspect 2 Protect: Rule changes affect offender mail, visitation, accounts
“The Texas Department of Criminal Justice (TDCJ) hosted its Houston-area Public Awareness Corrections Today (PACT) conference in late January and discussed several key policy changes affecting offenders within the agency. These changes to the contraband policy are called “Inspdct 2 Protect” and are designed to promote the safety of anyone who spends time inside the penal facility, including offenders, visitors, volunteers and correctional staff.”
https://www.tdcj.texas.gov/news/inspect2protect.html

In summary, 3.5K letters/mo had K2 or something else. Penpals are only allowed to send plain white paper. Anything colored, decorated, or non-standard will be rejected. No perfume, stickers, lipstick, paint, glitter, glue, or tape. Pics can be sent through JPay. Canines will also be used to sniff visitors. Offenders with contraband indicators will only be able to receive money through bank-to-bank transfers and money orders from those on their visitor or telephone list.

Even address labels are considered contraband!