Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Covid -19 (Corona Virus) news & information
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Covid -19 (Corona Virus) news & information Please use this forum to share information concerning Covid -19 in California, including institutions affected and lock downs. Please do not discuss individuals who have the virus.

Old 06-21-2020, 09:54 PM

Default CDCR releasing inmates w/less than 180 days due to COVID Starting July 1st

OK SO I CAN HARDLY CONTAIN MYSELF....
I've known this for a few days but couldn't find anyone here talking about it. Maybe I'm not looking correctly idk. But they announced this last week. My man and a few others in his dorm were spoken to by parole on Friday. He wasnt given a date yet and wasn't exactly told he was going to leave. I'm assuming they forward applicants to Sacramento but then again I am not sure. Any thoughts on how this might work. He has 146 days. I'm pretty sure he will be able to get out. However I wonder if on July 1st they will just wake him up and say roll up or will he know a date well before they day. They say it will be implemented starting July 1st so I'm like does that mean people will start going home that day. What do you guys think?

Copied and pasted from CDCR website. I havent made enough posts to attach url I guess::::

CDCR Announces Community Supervision Program to Further Protect Inmates and Staff from the Spread of COVID-19
JUNE 16, 2020
Community supervision program will create increased capacity and space to help with inmate movement, physical distancing, and isolation efforts

SACRAMENTO – The California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (CDCR) today announced the implementation of a community supervision program to eligible inmates in order to amplify actions to protect staff and inmates at the state’s prisons from the spread of COVID-19.

Specifically, CDCR’s community supervision plan will be for eligible inmates who have 180 days or less to serve on their sentences and are not currently serving time for domestic violence, or a violent or serious crime as defined by law, or are a person required to register as a sex offender under Penal Code 290.

The incarcerated person must also have housing plans identified before participating in the program, and they will remain under close supervision for the duration of their sentence, up to 180 days. Once an offender meets their regularly scheduled release date in the community, they will either remain on state parole supervision, transfer to county post-release community supervision, or discharge from their sentence, depending on their post-release requirements. To ensure public safety, those under community supervision may be remanded back to state prison for any reason to serve the remainder of their sentence.

The community supervision plan is scheduled to begin implementation on July 1, 2020.

Through the suspension of county jail intake, as well as the expedited parole of approximately 3,500 incarcerated persons in April, CDCR has reduced the incarcerated population by more than 8,000 since mid-March.

Before an incarcerated person is released from any institution, they will be offered testing for COVID-19 within seven days of their anticipated release. For those who test positive, CDCR will work with state and local public health and law enforcement officials to find housing where the incarcerated person can be safely isolated and monitored. They will also be released with five reusable cloth barrier masks provided by the department with appropriate precautionary measures taken during transportation.

All victim notification requirements are being met. For more information on CDCR’s efforts to protect staff and inmates from COVID-19, visit here.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2020, 01:16 AM

I was really hopeful that they would release them today. A parole officer showed up at my house on 6/24 to check it out. Told me that my brother would be coming home soon. He didn’t know when but felt like it would be very soon as they were rushing the agents to complete the home checks. I called the agent on 6/29 to see if he had the new release date. He didn’t. I called his counselor the next day, she also didn’t have any information either.

My brother hasn’t called since they’ve been on lockdown for the last week and a half due to the positive Covid cases at CCC, so we haven’t had the chance to discuss anything.We’ve gotten two letters though and he doesn’t seem to know about any early release for himself.
Old 07-02-2020, 07:22 AM

I asked my girl about it since shes done all planning and all that and is in the near release time, they dont know. I think this will take a few weeks to figure out. But if its 180 days then your guy may be leaving depending on the crime though...
The Following User Says Thank You to studebaker71 For This Useful Post:
Patrickj (07-02-2020)
Old 07-04-2020, 10:03 PM

They should be released free and clear, not on parole. Parole shouldn't even exist. They will just release them and bring them back in later to fill occupancy up.