Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Use this forum to discuss Federal prison Visitation info & issues, Phones, Packages & Mail issues & topics.

Old 06-23-2020, 08:56 PM

Default DOJ Approved Video Visits

I went to both the BOP and the DOJ sites so I could get complete confirmation and link it but I had heard scuttlebutt around that inmates at several BOP male facilities were informed today that video visitation is in the works. Then hubby called and said it was on their bulletin board online but was not super specific.

Apparently many of the facilities already have the equipment to start this and it has now been approved. Nothing seems to say when this will happen... how it will happen but it is a step with it being in the works. And no, no one knows if this is going to be a temporary thing or it will be permanent when everything is all said and done.

I'm going to guess that each facility is going to be in charge of setting everything up at their own pace and we know how that may turn out. But there is hope.

I know there are some that disapprove of enacting video visit but for now it's something and personally since the facilities who have already had it continue to have in person visits (well, when we could) I don't see a reason at this point to believe that they will never allow in-person visits again.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Girl22472 For This Useful Post:
Taliba00 (07-05-2020), YOGA62 (06-23-2020)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2020, 10:40 PM

I saw many posts as well today. The only article anyone had was regarding Covid that I saw. It was a poorly worded article, but my interpretation was that it was providing for free calls and free video visits during the declared national emergency. Were you able to find an article stating all facilities were getting video? I wonder how that would work at a high security level where they lose all electronic privileges but still have visits.
Old 06-23-2020, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by His_Queen13 View Post
I saw many posts as well today. The only article anyone had was regarding Covid that I saw. It was a poorly worded article, but my interpretation was that it was providing for free calls and free video visits during the declared national emergency. Were you able to find an article stating all facilities were getting video? I wonder how that would work at a high security level where they lose all electronic privileges but still have visits.
No.. I found nothing official out in the public but I had already heard from others on sites and areas about it and when my husband called today and when I was done with my updates as we do I said "did you see something about video visits" and he laughed because he was just getting ready to tell me about it because he knows I have mentioned it several times, especially through the COVID things because he'd tell me good luck with that... and I had been contacted privately by someone in another organization that they were working on it at all facilities and he still kept telling me he wasn't holding his breath. I think he was upset that I asked him before he could tell me because he knew I'd be excited to hear it.
Old 06-23-2020, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl22472 View Post
No.. I found nothing official out in the public but I had already heard from others on sites and areas about it and when my husband called today and when I was done with my updates as we do I said "did you see something about video visits" and he laughed because he was just getting ready to tell me about it because he knows I have mentioned it several times, especially through the COVID things because he'd tell me good luck with that... and I had been contacted privately by someone in another organization that they were working on it at all facilities and he still kept telling me he wasn't holding his breath. I think he was upset that I asked him before he could tell me because he knew I'd be excited to hear it.

Oh so maybe it’s just a situational thing. My husband’s facility doesn’t have anything like that yet. I know some places have tablets and kiosks to read mail. I would never want to visit over video. The BOP will find a way to take away in person. We have too much time left to not touch him.
Old 06-23-2020, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Oh so maybe it’s just a situational thing. My husband’s facility doesn’t have anything like that yet. I know some places have tablets and kiosks to read mail. I would never want to visit over video. The BOP will find a way to take away in person. We have too much time left to not touch him.
I don't agree with the idea that the BOP will take in person visits away forever... they have not done so in the woman's facilities for one, for two they have lost all kinds of money on other things through all of this as well as the communities around the prisons that I don't see it happening. I mean look how much they make in vending and other stuff from visits... they are going to want to re-coop and I would guess many of the communities have suffered too and in person visits will help.

But no... I have heard people in at least 4 different BOP facilities received the notice and it is on their bulletin boards on the computer.
Old 06-23-2020, 11:11 PM

The notice that was posted in the group I saw today specifically stated calls and video visits were to be free. It did not state they were installing anything. Let me see if I can find it.
Old 06-23-2020, 11:12 PM

Quote:
The notice that was posted in the group I saw today specifically stated calls and video visits were to be free. It did not state they were installing anything. Let me see if I can find it.
I know the notice you are discussing... that is not the same as what inmates received today.
The Following User Says Thank You to Girl22472 For This Useful Post:
His_Queen13 (06-23-2020)
Old 06-23-2020, 11:13 PM

Here is the one I saw.
The Following User Says Thank You to His_Queen13 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (06-24-2020)
Old 06-23-2020, 11:17 PM

Yes... from what we're understanding that is not what the one that inmates received. That the one they received stated that facilities that did not have it have been approved to have it at this point. As I said I was contacted by someone a few weeks ago in another organization with knowledge that this was being looked into for all facilities.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Girl22472 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (06-24-2020), Guy’sGirl74 (06-25-2020)
Old 07-02-2020, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl22472 View Post
I went to both the BOP and the DOJ sites so I could get complete confirmation and link it but I had heard scuttlebutt around that inmates at several BOP male facilities were informed today that video visitation is in the works. Then hubby called and said it was on their bulletin board online but was not super specific.

Apparently many of the facilities already have the equipment to start this and it has now been approved. Nothing seems to say when this will happen... how it will happen but it is a step with it being in the works. And no, no one knows if this is going to be a temporary thing or it will be permanent when everything is all said and done.

I'm going to guess that each facility is going to be in charge of setting everything up at their own pace and we know how that may turn out. But there is hope.

I know there are some that disapprove of enacting video visit but for now it's something and personally since the facilities who have already had it continue to have in person visits (well, when we could) I don't see a reason at this point to believe that they will never allow in-person visits again.
There was a lady, who posted on a prison Facebook group page, who is friends with someone at FAMM. She said, her friend had been told, the BOP was going to make every prison "video capable." My only fear is them doing away with "in person" visits? I think the video is great, while there is a suspension, but we should be allowed to go back to regular once the crisis is over!
His_Queen13 (07-02-2020)
Old 07-02-2020, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John M View Post
There was a lady, who posted on a prison Facebook group page, who is friends with someone at FAMM. She said, her friend had been told, the BOP was going to make every prison "video capable." My only fear is them doing away with "in person" visits? I think the video is great, while there is a suspension, but we should be allowed to go back to regular once the crisis is over!

Yup. That is most of our fear. The BOP does not do anything out of convenience to families. Many county jails have already taken in person visits away. When you have people with 6 months vs. people with 15 years, it’s kinda hard for those with so much time left to get on the video visit train. We have a lot to lose.