Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Bureau of Prisons Covid -19 (Corona Virus) news & information.
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Bureau of Prisons Covid -19 (Corona Virus) news & information. Please use this forum to share information concerning Covid -19 in the Federal Prison System. Please do not discuss individuals who have the virus.

Old 05-01-2020, 03:23 PM

I had to have it installed before leaving Carswell. Our landline is through our cable provider, so it did not have to be a hard land line.
The Following User Says Thank You to titus2woman For This Useful Post:
Girl22472 (06-06-2020)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2020, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hous1 View Post
Hi, at what point did they confirm landline requirement. For instance, did they give you time to have one installed. Most homes these days don't own landlines.
My fiance called & told me. He told me last Sunday. I'm hoping to get a call from Beaumont next week to verify everything.
Old 05-01-2020, 07:43 PM

From what I understand they require an old fashioned analog landline which is probably only available in remote or under-developed parts of the country. There is a IP landline to Analog converter available on Verizon which is called [Verizon Wireless Home Phone (LVP2)] but it may or may not be approved depending on your district halfway house. So you should defiantly call ahead because this sort of info isn't available even on the internet. So the landline service you should get is the most basic one with no caller ID available and your gonna have to call around depending on your area too.
Old 05-01-2020, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born View Post
Not to be a Debbie downer here but how do we know that any of this is true? How do we know that the prisoners are not shuffled around to other prisons to make it look like they are being released on home confinment?

Does anyone here withing this forum have a loved one who has been released on home confinement due to corona? to verify that this is really happening or has happened?
Some development I heard from my loved one is that May 18th is the deadline for processing home confinement cases. Since the bop kept changing around the time percentage requirement, he has to do exactly 50% of his sentencing but it's exactly on May 17th which is a really close call. He said he has no idea if the bop will extend it or if this is the last for the 1st wave covid-19 inmates being able to be released until further development.

My area's parole district office also decided to deny his home confinement case cause they don't support flm placement which the bop uses, they are understaffed, the nearest halfway house is 3 hours away and my loved one has over 3 years to finish before re-entry. So we had to give another family member's address another state away and hope for the best.

If anyone is wondering why it's taking so long for family or loved ones to come out it's because of the exact 50% sentence completion issues, the bop and your local parole district office/halfway house not seeing eye to eye on your loved one's case and the lack of planning in general.

It's been a roller coaster this entire period because it's easier said then done but it's all worth it when your loved one comes out of this. If anyone still hasn't heard any info from the parole office or your loved ones it's good to call ahead to see what can be done.

Last edited by Dalakiss; 05-01-2020 at 08:02 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Dalakiss For This Useful Post:
Born (05-02-2020)
Old 05-01-2020, 11:46 PM

Well got some bad news today. My husband was told he was being released to home confinement. They even assured him last week as well. He signed the papers and was waiting for quarantine. Then today he was told he doesn’t qualify now. He’s never been in trouble and has A-Fib and a stint from a major heart attack. I just don’t understand why they are doing this. My kids were so excited and now I have to tell them he’s not coming home.
Old 05-02-2020, 03:59 AM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 23,841 Times in 13,684 Posts

I'm sorry for what happened. Disappointing folks at the last second is nasty, but it happens frequently in the bop.
Old 05-02-2020, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuicyGirl View Post
Well got some bad news today. My husband was told he was being released to home confinement. They even assured him last week as well. He signed the papers and was waiting for quarantine. Then today he was told he doesn’t qualify now. He’s never been in trouble and has A-Fib and a stint from a major heart attack. I just don’t understand why they are doing this. My kids were so excited and now I have to tell them he’s not coming home.

I'm so sorry this is happening to you. BOP really needs to get their crap together!
Old 05-02-2020, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biabee3 View Post
I'm so sorry this is happening to you. BOP really needs to get their crap together!
Let's not lose hope yet and to people who's loved one's got rejected it's important to know why and maybe getting some legal help if necessary. Home confinement opportunities should still be available as long as COVID-19 is a threat to society.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dalakiss For This Useful Post:
biabee3 (05-03-2020), Lovebirds (06-22-2020)
Old 05-02-2020, 12:13 PM

Default Bad news

It just doesn’t make sense. He was told a week after signing the release papers that BOP would honor his release. Then call him to admin yesterday afternoon and say he’s not going home. He is in his 50s but his medication is keeping his blood pressure good. I’m thinking maybe because he has not done 50% of his sentence? He was in RDAP and he had like 2 months left. Now RDAP is totally closed. So they changed his release date back to not having done rdap at all. If they gave him his credit like he had before all this he would be at 50%.
Old 05-04-2020, 09:50 AM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

One of the hardest lessons I was taught by the bop was to never anticipate being released until the prison gate actually closed behind me and I left the prison grounds. One celly was packed out, waiting to board a Greyhound for his trip to a half way house. A last second "detainer" meant that he slept in his old cell that night, and for many more nights too.
Old 05-04-2020, 10:02 AM
Owned

Thanked 4,599 Times in 2,082 Posts

“It just doesn’t make sense”

If you can learn to accept that this phrase doesn’t apply when dealing with the BoP your life will have less stress.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to safran For This Useful Post:
bellisq (05-04-2020), fbopnomore (05-04-2020), Guy’sGirl74 (05-05-2020)
Old 05-04-2020, 10:56 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,238 Times in 1,484 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuicyGirl View Post

Your husband should pursue Compassionate Release. Afib is definitely a diagnosis that can be considered. He should follow the cop out procedures and reach out to the Federal public defender and possibly FAMM.org to see if he can get a lawyer. Once 30 days passes after he files, he can go back to the judge.

I have only seen FAMM's offers to provide lawyers. I would say going the PD route first would be safest. Also, if he has more than 50% of his sentence completed, that will help.
Old 05-06-2020, 12:09 PM

Search on google for [eligibility of early release of cares act]
Look at the cares act congressional research service document. With the title starting like this one below.

{Federal Prisoners and COVID-19: Background
and Authorities to Grant Release
Updated April 23, 2020}

For people looking for more criteria for their loved ones in jail and seeing the overall plan the bop is going with during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Old 05-06-2020, 02:58 PM

Here's the link Dalakiss

Federal Prisoners andCOVID-19: Background and Authorities to Grant Release

https://crsreports.congress.gov/product/pdf/R/R46297
The Following User Says Thank You to Born For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (05-06-2020)
Old 05-06-2020, 08:51 PM

I hate how these prisons can do whatever that want!. My fiancé finally got his release date - it’s May 26th! He’s been in quarantine since April 24th! Quarantine supposed to be 14 days not a month! You know what, I’m not going to complain, I’m thankful he’s coming home. Since they called his PO that he had presentencing to verify everything, they aren’t doing a home visit.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to biabee3 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (05-07-2020), Lovebirds (06-22-2020), YOGA62 (05-27-2020)
Old 05-27-2020, 08:50 PM

My fiancé was released ! He has to go to orientation at the halfway house tomorrow & they will be giving him an ankle monitor.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to biabee3 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (05-28-2020), RedLady27 (05-28-2020), YOGA62 (05-27-2020)
Old 05-27-2020, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaymommy85 View Post
My husband is at Lewisburg camp and there’s been releases there. EVen a guy with 5 years left (only served 13 month), he was a minimum. SO they’re moving those first.
so are they letting SO 's go? My son only has like 2 yrs left of a 15 yr sentence my husband was diagnosed with cancer last spring and my oldest son lives home due to being handicapped. It sure would be nice to have him home early. He filled out paperwork waiting to hear.
Old 05-29-2020, 07:57 AM
Donation Award 

Default Friend is out

About a year early. I think it’s because she’s the queen of the Administrative Remedy (complaint) and they couldn’t wait to get rid of her 😂MORE POWER TO HER! She was late for orientation at the halfway house so they almost made her stay there a few days until the next one. But she started sounding off and they let her finish the one that was in progress and she’s home! About a year early on a 40month sentence.
The Following User Says Thank You to EyesOpening For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (05-29-2020)
Old 06-06-2020, 08:24 AM

Default He's out~

My uncle got out of prison and he's continuing the rest of his sentence at home officially. We picked him out from FCI Loretto on June 3rd and we brought him back down to Washington DC where they have a newly opened halfway house. Took only 30 minutes for him to sign in get his mobile gps ankle bracelet and we went back home with him along.

We have been having a barbecue nearly everyday now and it's so good to have him back after nearly 7 long years. We ended up not needing an analog phone landline so that was a good relief too. We did have to move to Maryland near DC/Baltimore instead of residing in Northern Virginia but it was all worth it if that meant he could come out. Looking forward to reconnecting with him and seeing my cousins reconnect with their dad. The family is getting healed finally.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dalakiss For This Useful Post:
biabee3 (06-06-2020), Lovebirds (06-22-2020)
Old 06-06-2020, 09:16 AM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Congratulations. I hope the new DC Half Way House is safer than the old one was, where "residents" who didn't come or go in Taxis were often targeted by armed robbers.
Old 06-11-2020, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
Congratulations. I hope the new DC Half Way House is safer than the old one was, where "residents" who didn't come or go in Taxis were often targeted by armed robbers.
It's walking distance from H Street and really close to Union Station so the location is pretty good. Not much parking though but the team seems professional and nice enough. I didn't get the chance to walk inside the building but everything looks newly renovated. So hoping that they will do a better job then hope.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dalakiss For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (06-11-2020)
Old 06-22-2020, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biabee3 View Post
My fiance is coming home; he went into quarantine Friday.
Yay, congratulations.🎊🎉
04/05/2016 I immigrated to the US
10/27/2016 My husband received Presidential clemency

The Following User Says Thank You to Lovebirds For This Useful Post:
biabee3 (07-10-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 07:37 AM

Post Does inmate need attorney for Home Confinement request?

Forgive me for asking what may seem like an ignorant question: Did your inmate have an attorney previous to Coronavirus? My inmate's defense attorney told us he does not follow his clients once they surrender to prison so he does not have any representation. Does my inmate need a new attorney? If so, what type? Does it help to have an attorney file for home confinement? I am not sure my inmate qualifies. He had no pre-existing conditions prior to prison, but has developed very serious health issues since being in prison and is not receiving medical care. We are afraid he would not survive Covid due to his immune system being majorly compromised. Could that be the basis for a request for home confinement? His crime was non violent and he has a minimum level of recidivism. He has not yet served half his sentence, but will have in the Spring 2021. He was supposed to be eligible for camp soon, but I think they closed it b/c the dormitory style living quarters were more conducive to spread of virus. We are new to PT community. I appreciate any information.
Old 06-30-2020, 08:23 AM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

The prison system may be more likely to listen to a request from a lawyer than from a prisoner or their family. If his trial/etc. lawyer won't help (unless they get a new retainer) then the question becomes is the chance for a better result worth the cost?
Old 06-30-2020, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamBT View Post
Forgive me for asking what may seem like an ignorant question: Did your inmate have an attorney previous to Coronavirus? My inmate's defense attorney told us he does not follow his clients once they surrender to prison so he does not have any representation. Does my inmate need a new attorney? If so, what type? Does it help to have an attorney file for home confinement? I am not sure my inmate qualifies. He had no pre-existing conditions prior to prison, but has developed very serious health issues since being in prison and is not receiving medical care. We are afraid he would not survive Covid due to his immune system being majorly compromised. Could that be the basis for a request for home confinement? His crime was non violent and he has a minimum level of recidivism. He has not yet served half his sentence, but will have in the Spring 2021. He was supposed to be eligible for camp soon, but I think they closed it b/c the dormitory style living quarters were more conducive to spread of virus. We are new to PT community. I appreciate any information.
While fbopnomore is right it COULD make a difference I'm not sure that I believe it to be worth it to be honest, especially if you're having to pay for new representation. The BOP has set out guidelines... although they keep changing AND they aren't being followed in most facilities from my understanding that they are supposed to meet. It was 50% had to be served inside and then they knocked it down to 25% and less than I think either six months or a year left, I do not recall at the moment because again, I've seen little movement on these even being followed.

It is my overwhelming belief that for the majority of cases filing something means little or nothing and if they are even considering release of anyone (and some say they are then change all the rules, sometimes at the very last minute when people are at the gate to leave) that is based on whatever system they are considering and just simply looking at files. IMO he would get as far, or not, filing from inside and asking than he would using an attorney. We are hearing of all of these high profile cases where people are being released and while yes, some are being released none that I have seen necessarily are because of the "rules" that have been set for COVID and the facilities themselves are deciding.

I know of a few right now that have signed the paperwork for home confinement but they are ones who had not specifically filed or asked for it and have a year or less still to serve. Then again, those people are still currently inside and sign those papers two weeks ago or more and have heard nothing else. And they are not out until the "gates" close behind them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Girl22472 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (07-01-2020), TeamBT (06-30-2020)