Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ARIZONA > Arizona Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Arizona Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events Topics and discussions relating to current and past events dealing with the Arizona Prison and Criminal Justice Systems, political corruption, etc.

Old 01-19-2019, 10:47 PM
here

Default New healthcare company to take over for Corizon

DOC has dumped Corizon as health care and will use Centurion Of Arizona starting July 1.

http://kjzz.org/content/750863/coriz...-care-contract

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sylph For This Useful Post:
KiwiPP (01-19-2019), mama_pig (01-19-2019)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2019, 11:17 PM

Wohooo!
Old 01-20-2019, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylph View Post
DOC has dumped Corizon as health care and will use Centurion Of Arizona starting July 1.

http://kjzz.org/content/750863/coriz...-care-contract
Surely they couldn't be any worse?
Old 01-20-2019, 07:44 AM
Mischief Makin' Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Moderator 

Thanked 3,167 Times in 1,557 Posts

Hopefully this will bring better health care.

Old 01-22-2019, 09:37 PM
here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby67 View Post
Surely they couldn't be any worse?
I don't know. I was reading somewhere (might have even been this article) where New Mexico switched from Corizon to Centurion and was getting "more of the same". So...maybe the grass is greener. It would certainly be nice if it were.

Old 01-28-2019, 02:25 AM
Liz

Thanked 1,320 Times in 517 Posts

I haven't done a lot of research on them, but the basics of a quick review of information on the internet ---

They were fined by the State of Washington in December 2017 for not having enough doctors in their network and a federal lawsuit was filed in January of last year because of them not having enough doctors in 15 states. They bought out Healthnet in 2016 and last month there was an article that their pension funds were suing Centene (which is the medicaid part of Centurion) because the director hid/lied about or didn't disclose the full extent of Healthnet's financial problems, with those in the know selling their stocks for inflated amounts. The other part of Centurion is MHM which is a provider of mental health services to correctional institutions, courts, juvenile facilities and state hospitals.

The Pima County Detention Center uses them. If anyone has had any experiences their it would be interesting to know. They took over from Corizon in Florida and New Mexico in 2016. I haven't checked those states' prison section to see what comments have been made in regards to their healthcare services for inmates. That might provide a better idea if this is a positive for our loved ones. They took over several other states' contracts replacing Corizon too.

The first 18 months in NM they had 17 suit filed against them, which is less than other providers in the industry. But, of more concern is NM DOC penalized Centurion 1.8 million dollars for falling below staffing requirements and failing to fill vacancies. That combined with the most recent federal lawsuit from people in 15 state for the company failing to have providers is worrisome.
The Following User Says Thank You to lizlizzie2 For This Useful Post:
KiwiPP (01-28-2019)