Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Domestic Violence
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Domestic Violence News and information relating to domestic violence in general. Please post here if you don't see a sub-forums that fits better.

Old 10-16-2010, 12:00 AM

Question Superior court charges modified?

I'm a bit confused about this process, and wondering if anyone's had any experience here.
My ex was initially charged in District Court, on multiple charges of Aggravated assault and battery w/a deadly weapon, as well as the attempted murder of my daughter, intimidation of a witness, etc etc...I think with the larceny charges thrown in he had a total of 7 charges altogether.
Now that the case has been moved to superior court, the DA explained to me that the attempted murder charge is harder to prove, so they might modify it to just aggravated A&B, deadly weapon, etc.
I'm curious as to whether the reduced charges would also mean a reduced sentence, regardless of whether he pleads out or not? (which he won't, he's claiming mitigating circumstances) Or if the trial goes before a jury do they still have the option of increasing his sentence if found guilty?

Feel free to ask for clarification, my brain isn't working properly these days. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2010, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 30,818 Times in 11,076 Posts

Yes, reduced charges the sentence range may well be lower. Different states have different sentencing ranges for different charges, so no-one can tell you right now what to expect if he gets the charges lowered.

The jury will not have anything to say about his sentence if they convict him. That would be prescribed by law. The judge can, however stack the sentences on the individual charges by running them consecutively rather than concurrently. There are, however, state laws about how that can be done, too.