Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in California that do not fit into any other California subforum.

Old 03-08-2017, 04:38 PM

Question A1A halftime non violent offender with 2 strikes, what are Milestone credit

My fiance is in Corcoran state prison,can anyone tell me he said he was A1A halftime non violent offender, he already had 2 strikes just started taking classes said something about milestones can you tell me what all this means and will these things lesson his time,thank you for any help you can provide me with.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2017, 04:52 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 28,216 Times in 13,209 Posts

Hi Kathryn, I can't answer your question, so I have moved your thread to the Cali forum. There are members here very familiar with Cali and Milestone credits....they'll be along shortly

Welcome to PTO!
Old 03-13-2017, 08:15 PM

he can earn 6 weeks off a year for taking rehabilitative classes. They are difficult to get into.
The Following User Says Thank You to trustingGOD001 For This Useful Post:
missingdee (03-13-2017)
Old 03-13-2017, 10:55 PM
Donation Award 

Some of the milestone credits have changed due to prop 57. I believe they have changed 6 weeks to 12 weeks of earned schooling credit. To double check start here:
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/sho...hlight=prop+57

There is a lot of good information regarding changes to how much time they spend in prison based on the crime they were convicted of.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Silenus For This Useful Post:
miamac (03-13-2017), missingdee (03-13-2017), Patrickj (03-20-2017)
Old 03-13-2017, 11:31 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 11,982 Times in 4,663 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustingGOD001 View Post
he can earn 6 weeks off a year for taking rehabilitative classes. They are difficult to get into.
Silenus is correct, they are poised to double up to 12 weeks per yer and CDCR is widening the scope of programming a bit in order to achieve them. Level 2 & 3 facilities have been already seeing an expansion of available classes/groups, with Level 4's hopefully experiencing that soon.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
missingdee (03-13-2017), Patrickj (03-20-2017)
Old 03-13-2017, 11:41 PM
She's Home! Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 3,049 Times in 1,310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silenus View Post
Some of the milestone credits have changed due to prop 57. I believe they have changed 6 weeks to 12 weeks of earned schooling credit. To double check start here:
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/sho...hlight=prop+57

There is a lot of good information regarding changes to how much time they spend in prison based on the crime they were convicted of.
Just to be clear, this has not been formalized yet but word is that it is on a list of reforms that will be going into effect some time this year. 6 weeks is the possible time to gain for now BUT it may be increasing soon.

-E
The Colorblind Moderator (I'm not even going to try to use green down here, I'll embarass myself! LOL!) Currently assisting in all forums and actively monitoring Wives and Girlfriends in Prison and the California forums.

#ByeCDCR #TimesUp #HomeForChristmas
Old 03-14-2017, 12:00 AM
She's Home! Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn J. Seal View Post
My fiance is in Corcoran state prison,can anyone tell me he said he was A1A halftime non violent offender, he already had 2 strikes just started taking classes said something about milestones can you tell me what all this means and will these things lesson his time,thank you for any help you can provide me with.
Just to make sure I am clear.....true half-time non-violent offenders usually do not have strikes attached to them (unless the strikes were stricken for sentencing purposes for some reason.) He may be eligible for parole at half-time if the current offense he is serving is not a strike, but it is not a guaranteed release. Classes and milestone credits (which are given for rehabilitative efforts taken by the inmate) will help. Without them, because of the prior strikes, he would normally be serving a minimum of 80% of his sentence.

I am not sure if classes or milestones will impact his halftime parole consideration in terms of reducing the amount of time he has to serve before being considered for the Non-Violent Second Striker Parole, but they may be used toward reducing that 80% number.
The Colorblind Moderator (I'm not even going to try to use green down here, I'll embarass myself! LOL!) Currently assisting in all forums and actively monitoring Wives and Girlfriends in Prison and the California forums.

The Following User Says Thank You to missingdee For This Useful Post:
Patrickj (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 01:37 PM

a non violent second striker only has to do 66.7% of their sentences.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:05 PM
She's Home! Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsRide"r"Die View Post
a non violent second striker only has to do 66.7% of their sentences.

Literally saw the case where this was withdrawn 10 minutes ago...

NVSS does get a parole review at 50%, but not a guaranteed release. Otherwise it's a minimum of 80% still.

The Following User Says Thank You to missingdee For This Useful Post:
Patrickj (03-20-2017)