Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prisons > Other Federal Prisons
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Federal Prisons All Federal prisons that are not listed in their own category.

Old 03-19-2017, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor activist View Post
How accurate would you say this quote is? It comes from a peace activist named Kathy Kelly who gets arrested a lot and could compare it to other places.

I was there with Kathy. Boy is she different. Got tons of mail and books. Shes pretty spot on in this case(except the asbestos which i addressed in another post) The water is toxic, I was the only plumber. I know ALL about the water there. Its city water, but the pipes are 100 years old and coated with thick slime inside. NEVER drink the water straight. I always had a cooler and drank melted ice as the ice machines have filters.
They are semi concerned about cleanliness. Not like when Mrs Slone was there, but its a turd, only so much you can it. You can put icing on it and sprinkles and its still a turd inside. Be very careful what you say to psyche there. They will have you at the county under 24 hr suicide watch, naked in a turtle suit in a heart beat. Seen girls come in and be shipped within hours.
They do a lot of community charity which I loved. All year the CRB(community relations board) makes items for the homeless, youth and battered womens shelters, nursing homes and toys for tots. Quilting, knitting, crotcheing and other projects. It literally kept me sane
The Following User Says Thank You to KelleAdams For This Useful Post:
Minor activist (03-19-2017)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2017, 07:12 PM

What are some things you wished you knew about the camp before you got there? That its not like you see on TV. Noone is trying to make you their bitch, there are no bars, no locks, no fights or rarely. Its like a really crappy all inclusive vacation really. Dorm setting.

What are you allowed to bring in with you? Not much. wedding band no stones, religious necklace no stones, bible, glasses no stones

What are the sleeping arrangements like?depends. large "bus stop" 10-14 people per room on bunk beds. you have to have a medical pass for bottom bunk. smaller bus stop 4,6,8 ppl per room. Once you have been there long enough you can get a 2 man room but most people by that time have made friends and dont want to leave them for a smaller room. besides you never know what room you will get and you might get a horrible roommate

What is the food like? food is actually not horrible. I gained almost 60 lbs

What is a typical day like? boring. better if you have a job outside and learn to crochet or quilt

What is your overall impression of the camp? OLD like i said very crappy all inclusive, college dorm vacation. we called it craft camp

Tips to pass the time? crochet, knit, quilt, help out with CRB. a lot of people walk or work out. there is a gym
The Following User Says Thank You to KelleAdams For This Useful Post:
Minor activist (03-19-2017)
Old 03-19-2017, 11:51 PM

How good or bad is the medical care?
Old 03-20-2017, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor activist View Post
How good or bad is the medical care?
EXCELLENT. Although the camp IS NOT a medical center. Just the men's side is. A lot of judges get this confused and send women with health problems there. I came in with breast cancer and didn't know it. They found it in a routine mammogram. I got all of my care at UK hospital which is first class and highly rated. I am almost 6 years cancer free.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KelleAdams For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (03-20-2017), Minor activist (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 08:36 AM

Hooray! My wife is a cancer survivor, more than once over. Very glad for you!

Now I'm afraid I sent a pen pal there some bogus information from the "Atwood Hall" book. What are the most important things to correct? What was the most dangerous misinformation from the book?
Old 03-20-2017, 03:42 PM

I don't recall all the details but suffice to say that the person who wrote the book was an idiot. She should know by now. How long has she been there? It's not hard to figure out. Everything is pretty straight forward. What you see,is what it is. Don't trust anyone. At all. Your best friend will be the one telling all your business. I still have some friends there. Give me her name and I can have someone I trust show her the real deal
Old 03-20-2017, 06:20 PM

It's been two months and it looks like she has more than two or three brain cells to rub together so maybe I shouldn't worry.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:34 AM

Default NewTexGal has news about browneyes1181

This was in the pen pal talk forum. NewTexGal got permission to pass along some information from her letters.

The interesting thing for this thread is that she's offering to answer questions about Atwood today. Post them here, and one or another of her pen pals can pass them along in a letter if it's something she can answer safely.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:04 PM

So, what's the atmosphere like if you aren't religiously compatible with Bible Belt people? Does the fact that everyone reports to a nationwide organization and that staff may have been transferred from elsewhere make it better than the KY state prisons are for non-Baptist inmates? Or will the same kind of alarming stories happen?
Old 04-05-2017, 11:07 PM

How much value is there to the re-entry advice and programming?
Old 04-06-2017, 07:01 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 16,422 Times in 9,937 Posts

I completed the 18 month residential, faith based (contract was awarded to a fundamentalist protestant church) life connections program at FCC Petersburg, VA. The course work was dumbed down to the lowest possible education levels, like "how to write a check", and plenty of religious dogma instruction too. Other subject matter, "how to write a Haiku" poem was equally worthless when it came to finding housing or a job.

Even so, the time I spent in LCP was much better than if I had remained in a general program housing unit at Loretto, PA, which made LCP a very good fit for me.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:33 AM

Default Donating to camp library

What's the name of the library supervisor?

Should I give up trying to reach him or her about my giving things to the library?

So far I've tried email to the main contact address, snail mail to "Supervisor of Library", and a phone call which wasn't picked up even by voice mail.

Persistence pays, stupidity doesn't. Should I do something else with my time, or is this all just normal?
Old 04-07-2017, 03:23 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Unfortunately it is business as usual with the bop. They don't want to be bothered.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:53 PM

I also got a PM from someone who says the BoP doesn't accept donations from the public. So I'll drop this one.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:04 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

That isn't always an accurate statement, that the bop doesn't accept donations. Some bop prisons regularly accept books/magazines from outside sources. Not everywhere, the head of the USP Atlanta holdover facility declined all donations of books even though they did not have "book carts" for the inmates, reason given, it is too expensive (aka too much bother).

It isn't easy, but it can be done. The bop is required to have one community TV tuned to a Spanish Language broadcast. FDC Miami didn't, so a local charity decided to donate as many TVs as it took to meet that responsibility. The bop declined (free TVs are probably too expensive too) but after the intervention of some local politicians, they did install them in all of the housing units. Still no books in Atlanta, but Miami did get Spanish langusge TVs,
Old 04-08-2017, 08:17 AM
Owned

Thanked 2,814 Times in 1,344 Posts

The BoP doesn't accept donations from private individuals.

From groups and businesses yes, and even then it often is not easy.
The Following User Says Thank You to safran For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (04-08-2017)
Old 04-08-2017, 03:37 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

I think that was the problem, parents and loved ones of prisoners trying to bring the bop into compliance with it's own rules. Even so, a little political pressure "modified" the procedure anyway.
Old 04-09-2017, 10:22 AM

With the new staff in charge, how easy or hard is it to stay out of trouble? Would people's advice to new inmates be more like "Just don't do anything stupid" or more like "Follow every rule exactly"?

If the C/Os and others don't sweat the small stuff, then which things are big stuff to them? Especially I'm wondering about the things that might not be obvious to someone new to the system.
Old 04-09-2017, 01:57 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Almost everyone finds their own best ways to avoid conduct violations in federal prison. Each CO (and inmate) is an individual, and some of them will never get along. For the prisoner in those situations, I found that avoiding a "problem CO" was the best policy.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:19 AM

Browneyes1181 gave me permission to use my own judgement about what to pass along from her experience. Here are some things that might be useful to someone headed there.

Her biggest surprise, she said, was the amount of kindness the women serving time there offered when she arrived.

She has not said a word either way about racial tension and hasn't dropped any hints either.

Quote:
The women here are the same women you'd pass at the bank, or the grocery store.
She did say "Many people have rough lives in & out of prison", but of course that's true of the women you meet outside too.

Someone going there now would, I believe, be well advised to plan on following the rules closely, and not just the contraband rules.

It's still overcrowded.

There's a little workout equipment but she's found it useful to study bodyweight workouts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Minor activist For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (04-22-2017)
Old 06-03-2017, 02:15 PM

Getting into the dental hygienist apprentice program is a [heck] of a long shot of course, with two openings and 300 inmates.

What would someone do to give themselves the best odds? Do the apprenticeships go to people with long sentences, people close to release, people with spotless records, people who are in favor with the authorities, people with good prior educations, or what?
Old 06-19-2017, 01:53 PM

Default Camp library

I asked browneyes1181 what the camp library is like.

Quote:
The library here is decent. It has many genres of books (romance being the most prevalent, lol). There's horror, suspense, sex/romance, biography, self help (not many), fiction (quite a few books of the vampire variety), etc. I think it has, at least, a couple thousand books.
The Following User Says Thank You to Minor activist For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (06-19-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 10:39 AM

One thing that a book mentioned that's still going on today is the custom of leaving secondhand items on the windowsill to be picked up by whoever wants or needs them.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:25 PM

Did anyone know Marilyn Francel when she was there, and what do people think of her book? https://www.amazon.com/Girls-Guide-F...arilyn+francel