Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > WELCOME TO PTO > Introduce Yourself!
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Introduce Yourself! Please stop by and introduce yourself and share your story with others in the Prison Talk Online community!

Old 08-29-2012, 11:21 PM

Unhappy Intro--carolina wife from South Carolina

Carolina Wife from South Carolina... My husband is currently in Kirkland in S.C. doing 3yrs. It has only been two weeks but with no calls or visits I'm going nuts. This is the first time he has been locked up and I'm trying to figure all this prison stuff out. Any helpful hints or advice will be greatly appreciated!!!
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2012, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina wife View Post
Carolina Wife from South Carolina... My husband is currently in Kirkland in S.C. doing 3yrs. It has only been two weeks but with no calls or visits I'm going nuts. This is the first time he has been locked up and I'm trying to figure all this prison stuff out. Any helpful hints or advice will be greatly appreciated!!!
My Husband was in the county jail and was picked up this week for the State prison. I am being told that I will not be able to talk to him for 60 days or visit. He is going through diagnostic. It may be less than 60 but he will transferred to a permanent location. I wrote him already and plan to do so everyday,maybe you can do the same and date the letters. Im not familiar with SC prison system does he have to go through processing as well?
Old 08-30-2012, 10:30 AM

Hi,

I had a 3.5 year bid in SC -- most of it spent in McCormick. Don't worry about him. The SC prison system is a joke and as safe as safe can be -- assuming he isn't a sex offender and doesn't borrow money (store man, drug man, card table). The yards are pretty mundane compared to other states. Controlled movement does that. If I recall correctly, he is probably just now finishing up processing/classification and will be assigned a prison. Were I him, I would prefer a level III prison (more secure, more people with long bids) over a level II (bunch of young punks with short sentenes that bother people). Stay away from the bullshit and he will be fine.

I strongly suggest he do whatever it takes to get into a trade school, if his end prison has one. I spent a year plus in the auto-mechanic program at McCormick and it gave me something productive to do, along with a valid certification upon release. School really helps move the time along.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:21 AM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 23,821 Times in 13,678 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk. Be sure to write him and he will contact you as soon as they let him. Just remember that this will end.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:31 AM

Hi,

I had a 3.5 year bid in SC -- most of it spent in McCormick. Don't worry about him. The SC prison system is as safe as safe can be -- assuming he isn't a sex offender and doesn't borrow money (store man, drug man, card table). The yards are pretty mundane compared to other states. Controlled movement does that. If I recall correctly, he is probably just now finishing up processing/classification and will be assigned a prison. Were I him, I would prefer a level III prison (more secure, more people with long bids) over a level II (bunch of young punks with short sentences that bother people). Stay away from the bs and he will be fine.

I strongly suggest he do whatever it takes to get into a trade school, if his end prison has one. I spent a year plus in the auto-mechanic program at McCormick and it gave me something productive to do, along with a valid certification upon release. School really helps move the time along.

Quote:
Old 09-03-2012, 06:53 AM
Patiently waiting

Quote:
Welcome to PTO! Dealing with ur significant other in jail is a very Tedious task but he only has 3 years so that's the bright side. Write to him often and visit and talk to him as often as you all can. Try to stay positive and supportive as much as possible. It never becomes easy but it's manageable. If you have any questions, come to PTO. We are a great support group!
Old 09-04-2012, 07:05 AM

Default south carolinas good time policy

Quote:
If your man can be good follow every rule stay out of trouble he can earn 20 days good time for every day he is in prison. That means that your looking at a year and a half approximately instead of 3 years. Wyoming where i'm at and my husband is in prison has 15 days for every month so you got it made there! The first few months are definitely a nightmare but it's worth the wait. When it gets too hard out here, put on his shoes and hang tough for him.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ccyoung52 For This Useful Post:
choclgs (09-17-2012), fbopnomore (09-04-2012)
Old 09-16-2012, 04:14 PM

Default You'll make it!

Its ALOT to figure out if you've never had to go through this kinda thing but you'll get there and you will make it. My husband has been incarcerated since Jan 1 and still has about 6-10 months to go. Hopefully 6!! He's been at Lee in Bishipville for about a week now and I'm wanting to go visit him but it's a good 2.5 hour drive from me and money is very tight so unfort wont be bale to very often. But anyways just wanted to introduce myself... I'm new to this forum so bare with me. lol If you'd like to talk send me a message. But you will get through this just gotta take it one day at a time and stay as busy as you can!

Quote:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LinZ89 For This Useful Post:
choclgs (09-17-2012), fbopnomore (09-17-2012)
Old 09-17-2012, 10:34 AM
Carolina traveler

Thanked 3,703 Times in 2,521 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExConSuccess View Post
Hi,

I had a 3.5 year bid in SC -- most of it spent in McCormick. Don't worry about him. The SC prison system is as safe as safe can be -- assuming he isn't a sex offender and doesn't borrow money (store man, drug man, card table). The yards are pretty mundane compared to other states. Controlled movement does that. If I recall correctly, he is probably just now finishing up processing/classification and will be assigned a prison. Were I him, I would prefer a level III prison (more secure, more people with long bids) over a level II (bunch of young punks with short sentences that bother people). Stay away from the bs and he will be fine.

I strongly suggest he do whatever it takes to get into a trade school, if his end prison has one. I spent a year plus in the auto-mechanic program at McCormick and it gave me something productive to do, along with a valid certification upon release. School really helps move the time along
Welcome Carolina Wife. I want to clarify somethings for you without overwhelming you.

I have to reply to this. I'm sorry but much has changed in SCDC since Exconsuccess completed his sentence. Most of the programs that you speak of have been greatly reduced and there are waiting lists at most of the SCDC institutions to get into classes and training programs. Yes, it would be a God send to get into one to be productive, it is just that, getting into classes and programs that just aren't there anymore.

Your statements about LII and LIII are misconceptions as well in 2012. Except for a few, due to overcrowding and classification chaos, LIs are being sent to LIIIs and and LIIs or Ys can end up there as well. There is no such thing as SCDC's LIII being "more secure" than another. My love has 20+ years in this system. Each time I hear him say, "these young boys don't know how to do time" I know he's about to share something someone saw in the media and thought they could enter the prison system and mimic it, just to realize within a hair's breath, they just put their life on the line. Unfortunately he knows what he speaks of because he's been caught up in this SCDC maze since his 17th birthday when they gave him his number.

Honestly, your husband may well be placed in an LI facility but one of my love's former cellmates was given 18 months to do and he's at an LIII. The best advice you gave for her husband is Stay away from the bs and he will be fine" and he'll be home with you sooner than you know. He's in the position to earn credits, what specifically for him, I won't give a number because that's case by case. But he can earn good time, work, and education credits to reduce his time. Blessings and best wishes for the both of you.

Last edited by choclgs; 09-17-2012 at 10:38 AM.. Reason: quoting
The Following User Says Thank You to choclgs For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (09-17-2012)
Old 03-01-2016, 04:40 PM

Hi, Carolina,
I'm sorry about this, my sister was in the same situation a couple years ago and she said practicing yoga worked for her. You need to relax and think everything's going to be fine, you need to be strong and healthy to help in the future.

Best regards.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:38 PM
Carolina traveler

Thanked 3,703 Times in 2,521 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickclifford View Post
Hi, Carolina,
I'm sorry about this, my sister was in the same situation a couple years ago and she said practicing yoga worked for her. You need to relax and think everything's going to be fine, you need to be strong and healthy to help in the future.

Best regards.

This post was from 2012. Her loved one's probably been released since he was sentenced to 3 years.

Great encouragement for others in need of it