Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Probation, Parole & Supervision
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Probation, Parole & Supervision Having problems (or need info) with Probation, Parole or Community Corrections & Supervision?? Lets talk about it here.

Old 12-10-2014, 07:05 AM

Default Parole Attorneys

If my husband got 18 years andhis first parole review is in 9 years when would be s good time to hire a parole ayttorney? How soon in advanced? Should I do it now or wait until it is closer to the 9 year mark? Also, is there anything I can be doing to better his chances at getting paroled? I've heard about this parole packet and sending in letters from the family bit is that only when it comes time to be up for parole or should I do it every year? How can we bettet his chance of getting paroled the first review?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2014, 08:20 AM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 23,322 Times in 13,400 Posts

I don't have an answer about parole attorneys, but he can definitely help his chances by maintaining "clear conduct" in prison, and taking as many classes, etc. as he can. It will help show that he is serious about doing everything he can to "earn" his parole. Best of luck in being paroled at his first opportunity.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:30 AM

No idea on the timing, but I can tell you that letters of support from family will only hold so much water. The board pretty much assumes that any letters from family will be of a supporting nature, and thus don't place a great deal of stock in them. I would suggest not sending them in yearly, as they won't actually be seen by the board until hearing time. If he wants to better his chances, he should take advantage of just about every self-improvement/education program offered.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:59 AM
attorney

Thanked 22,169 Times in 7,706 Posts

What you can do:
Be stable. Don't move 9 times in 9 years (or more). Don't live with felons. Don't become a felon yourself. Keep stable employment. Don't get into a ton of financial problems or have to file for bankruptcy. Pay your taxes on time. Be as ideal a situation as possible for his release (if that means moving NOW because he'll be a SO nd won't be able to live next to a park or school, or out of a high crime area or whatever environmentally that's destabilizing, then move sooner rather than later). Be ideal for years before his release.

Encourage your LO to do as much programming as possible. Education, counseling, anything and everything. Encourage him to be write-up free, not to get involved in gang crap, and to stay out of the drama. Tell him he needs to create as attractive a parole picture as possible - that means programming, work, and write-up free.

As for attorneys - if your jurisdiction allows for a parole attorney, wait until he's a lot further along. Attorneys change. Their organizations are constantly changing - new firms come into existence, and other firms fold. Attorneys leave practice, die, marry, move state, take new jobs at different firms, or start out in their own firm. 9 years is an awful lot of time. Wait until much closer to parole, when there's actually something to do.
Old 12-10-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourself View Post
What you can do:
Be stable. Don't move 9 times in 9 years (or more). Don't live with felons. Don't become a felon yourself. Keep stable employment. Don't get into a ton of financial problems or have to file for bankruptcy. Pay your taxes on time. Be as ideal a situation as possible for his release (if that means moving NOW because he'll be a SO nd won't be able to live next to a park or school, or out of a high crime area or whatever environmentally that's destabilizing, then move sooner rather than later). Be ideal for years before his release.

Encourage your LO to do as much programming as possible. Education, counseling, anything and everything. Encourage him to be write-up free, not to get involved in gang crap, and to stay out of the drama. Tell him he needs to create as attractive a parole picture as possible - that means programming, work, and write-up free.

As for attorneys - if your jurisdiction allows for a parole attorney, wait until he's a lot further along. Attorneys change. Their organizations are constantly changing - new firms come into existence, and other firms fold. Attorneys leave practice, die, marry, move state, take new jobs at different firms, or start out in their own firm. 9 years is an awful lot of time. Wait until much closer to parole, when there's actually something to do.
Thank you, that is very helpful. I know it is impossible to tell right now but what is try likelihood of the first parole review being granted from what others have experienced? His convictions were two sexual assault charges from his ex and her best friend. I know that is a big factor on his parole.
Old 12-10-2014, 12:00 PM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 23,322 Times in 13,400 Posts

There is much information about the TX Parole Board on their web page.
http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/bpp/what...le/reasons.htm
Old 12-10-2014, 07:42 PM

Thanked 11,108 Times in 6,008 Posts

While it is certainly true that some change firms or die, the reality is that the good parole attorneys in Texas are primarily solo practitioners. They are not part of some mega-firm.

And, while he may not be up for nine years, you don't want to wait that long to engage the services of competent counsel. The further away one gets from the case and sentencing, the more likely it is that trial counsel will have lost records. Even worse since this is a sex offense is that the release of information from the County offices could be further restricted by changes to the Texas Public Information Act.

There are also things that can be done in the interim period. We have routinely tried to get our clients with sex offenses into a correspondence program offered by a Licensed Sex Offender Treatment Provider. It does not mean the Board may not later require a program prior to release, but it is a significant aid in demonstrating the willingness to gain more insight into the conduct that produced the incarceration.

It isn't a decision that needs to be made right away, but I would suggest no later than the six-year mark...

Oh, and the other advantage to having someone on board earlier than absolutely necessary is you lock in whatever the then-current fee may be...it also provides someone to answer questions along the way.