Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ALABAMA > Alabama Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Alabama Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events Current news items and information on events related to the Alabama prison system.

Old 03-19-2012, 03:57 PM

Smile Information on the Healthy Connect organisation

Greetings,

My name is Tira and I bring you greeting on behalf of the AIDS Action Coalition, in North Alabama, were I serve as the Healthy Connections Coordinator. I joined the group to inform the Prison Talk Community (Alabama Forum) of the resources that we have available specifically for you.

Healthy Connections:
Program participants are eligible to receive case management services and attend a free overnight retreat (Usually the 3rd weekend of every month except May and December) with workshops that teach ways to enjoy better sexual, emotional, and physical health.
All services are peer-lead meaning services are provided by women for women. Our slogan in the Healthy Connections Program is “Sister helping Sisters though Healthy Connections.”

The programs initial target population was
designed for African-American women in a relationship with a man who is either incarcerated or has been recently released from prison. However, the program is now available to ALL women who have incarcerated partners or partners who have a current affiliation with the criminal justice system.

In addition to the Healthy Connections Program we have additional prevention services that you may find beneficial:

Healthy Start
This program is an individual-level, multi-session program for people being released from a correctional facility and returning to the community. It is based on the conceptual framework of Incremental Risk Reduction, and focuses on increasing clients' awareness of their HIV, STI, and Hepatitis risk behaviors after release. Sessions begin within a correctional setting prior to release and continue after release into the community.

Talk, Listen, Connect (TLC)
A six session, relationship-based program that teaches couples techniques and skills to enhance the quality of their relationship, communication, and shared commitment to safer behaviors. The program is based on the AIDS Risk Reduction Model, which organizes behavior change into three phases: recognize risk, commit to change, and act on strategies. Emphasis is placed on emphasizing the personal, relational, and societal influences on behavior. Counselors will apply techniques commonly used in family therapy, allowing couples to work together to solve shared problems

Our programs are federally funded through the Office of Women’s Health (OWH) and the Center for Disease Control (CDC). I hope that you find the resources beneficial and hopefully we can extend our services to you and your family.
The Following User Says Thank You to HealthyConnect For This Useful Post:
LeBeau (03-20-2012)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2012, 11:01 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 23,012 Times in 7,140 Posts

Since Tira cannot yet post links, I figured I'd jump in- Here's a link to the AAC site, the umbrella under which the Healthy Connections program is administered.
Some of the info needs updating since some programs formerly run specifically for African American women are now available to all qualifying women, regardless of race, but I'm hopeful that this will be a helpful resource.

In memory of Mrs. Dragoness

Speak your mind-
Even if your voice shakes

Specializing in pest control- Site Exterminator.
The Following User Says Thank You to LeBeau For This Useful Post:
lisainengland (03-21-2012)