Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ALABAMA > Alabama Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Alabama Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Alabama Department of Corrections and local & county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 09-26-2012, 03:49 PM

Default New Phone System

My husband is in Limestone and they have changed the phone system over to IC Solutions and now the calls are RIDICULOUSLY higher! And we are changed $.30 a min now after the initial fee and taxes to even connect, instead of the 20 minutes for a flat rate! I am SOOOOOO mad at ADOC for doing this to us! They are determined to make this as hard as possible on all of the inmates and families. Do they think this will give them more money? I have news for them. It will only hurt the profit they are making on canteen and store because inmates will be getting less money on their books just so we can talk on the phone! I am going to call and complain, but I know it will not do any good. I get so sick of ADOC trying to steal every dime we have!!! They should be the ones locked up for highway robbery!!!! They are bigger crooks than most inmates will ever be! I guess you can tell I'm mad as fire right now. It was hard enough to come up with the money to talk to my husband at the much lower rate. Now, we will not hardly ever get to talk.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2012, 05:25 PM

Default New phone service

Has anyone gotten any info on this new phone service (IC Solutions)? I called and didn't get any good information. Thanks in advance!
Old 09-26-2012, 07:28 PM
Love Endureth

I JUST learned about this ish tonight. AFTER I added money on my credit card to GTL. Now I have to wait 25-30 days to get a refund. Maaaan, I am so tired of ADOC I don't know what to do. Then the guy at IC Solutions told me it's $4.75 just to ACCEPT the call. For real though?! I call it "legal" robbery. But they still can't bring us down, we going to survive like we survive everything else.
Parole date: 7/2014 (denied/no reset)
EOS: 12/27/15 ( my belated Christmas gift)

Old 09-27-2012, 01:31 AM

I believe he meant it's $4.75 fee to add money just like with Global. That's how it worked for me. They add the $4.75 fee plus tax on how much you are adding to call time. I wanted $45 on my acct, so they charged my debit card $52.40! So that's a total fee of $7.40 just to put the $45 on there, which is CRAZY! When I talked with my husband, I pushed the button first to find out the charge for the call and it said that it was a $2.36 charge to connect for the first minute plus $.30 tax on the call, which made it a total of $2.66 for the first minute! Then, it charged an additional $.30 for each minute after that. We talked for 9 mins. so that call costs me $5.06. With Global, I was getting 20 minutes of a call for $2.96 total and only the $4.75 fee when I added money! I knew when he tried to call me and it said it was a new service and I needed to set up an acct. that we were all about to be screwed royally! I was right! They add tax to every aspect of the call and adding the money to the acct. The tax will go up with the higher amount you add to your acct. It won't do any good to add a lower amount, since their charge is so high to add it. I am SOOOOOOO sick of this state and I hate it now! Does ADOC think this is going to help them get more money from the inmates families. They are stupid! All it's going to do is make people add less money to their LOs acct at the prison for canteen and store because we want to talk to them and we can't afford to pay for both and then our guys suffer because they don't have as much to eat, drink, or smoke. This is going to lower ADOCs profit through the inmates accts. I almost added money to Global last night and I a happy I didn't. I had one call left on the acct and when I didn't get a call last night, I knew something was up, so I waited about putting money on the Global acct. And the state says it cares about it's citizens. This infuriates me because it's hard enough to have our LOs there and not have any help making a living and now they are sucking us even drier. Yeah, they will just drive us all into poverty a little deeper, as if it's not bad enough already! Three months can't be over soon enough and we are DONE with this place!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabesWifeyBoo View Post
I JUST learned about this ish tonight. AFTER I added money on my credit card to GTL. Now I have to wait 25-30 days to get a refund. Maaaan, I am so tired of ADOC I don't know what to do. Then the guy at IC Solutions told me it's $4.75 just to ACCEPT the call. For real though?! I call it "legal" robbery. But they still can't bring us down, we going to survive like we survive everything else.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:26 PM
Loving our life together!

Yeah, I got my first taste of IC Solutions yesterday. I HAAAAAATE it!!!! For me, the calls are about the same as with GTL...by my calculations, $8.25/20 min call. That's actually a LITTLE cheaper than with GTL, where it was a little over 9 bucks/call. BUT where ICS gets you is the added fees just to put $$ on your acct. With GTL, I'd put $25 on the acct & $4.75 would automatically come out for their fees. ICS charges THAT...PLUS TAX! So, what should've only been $30 turned in to almost $38!!! I was SOOO pissed!! I don't like the fact that they had to "create an account" for me & had to get my personal info, either: addy, phone #, e-mail. We didn't have to go through any of that with GTL...everything was automated.

The entire call to set up the acct. just seemed shady to me and after going through all that BS just to set up the acct, I was hot! I told the girl since she asked so many questions of me, it was MY turn & I started asking questions about how it'd bill my credit card, what it'd be listed as on my statement, her name, her phone # & extension (in case something went wrong & I couldn't accept the calls)...next thing I know, she HUNG UP ON ME!! I was PISSED!!! I called back & complained on her, but you know they won't do anything about it. I'm just glad my fiance & I only have 8 days left of this CRAP!! I'm SICK OF IT & all the ways they try to screw you out of $$$!! For those of you with time left, my sympathy goes out to y'all!! Every single aspect of the ADOC is only getting worse!!! Didn't think that was possible...but apparently IT IS!

KC ~n~ RE
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pepper24 For This Useful Post:
josie231 (09-30-2012), lisainengland (09-28-2012), MJsFancyFace (09-27-2012)
Old 09-29-2012, 06:12 PM
vamom

I put a hundred dollars on my son's debit over 24 hours ago. My calls usually cost about $25 for 15 minutes he just called and his prison had neglected to give him a code. I was told to add funds!
Old 09-30-2012, 08:10 AM

I just put $50 on my son's account on 9/22. We have agreed to only talk once a week unless he has some sort of emergency or something changes that I need to know about. Anyway, I figured that would last us a while since I'm trying to visit every other weekend. GTL was expensive enough, but this changeover to a new, more expensive system is just unnecessary! I'm going to write the commissioner and copy to the governor to convey my 'disappointment' with the lack of support the ADOC shows to the families of inmates. We all know how important family support is to inmates and to reducing recidivism, etc., so why does the ADOC continue to make it more difficult for us to help?
The Following User Says Thank You to josie231 For This Useful Post:
pepper24 (09-30-2012)
Old 09-30-2012, 01:50 PM
vamom

They don't care. Prisons are a business
Old 09-30-2012, 03:21 PM

So, my son just called. It was a collect call with no option to do anything but accept, decline, or block. I accepted, of course. He said the phones are all messed up and everyone is having problems. I was under the impression that we would have the option to set up an account at the time of the first call. So, I guess since that option was not offered, I'll check out the IC website. Is that what y'all did?
Old 09-30-2012, 05:44 PM
I will love you

Default Mad as fire

My friend is in Holman in lock up and only gets 1 call a month. No one told me about the change until he called a few days ago. They gave us a free 3min call because I clowned but I still have to wait to get my money back from the other company. I did however set up a new accout with IC but now I have to wait until they get to him next month to talk. It seems like ADOC should have told everyone about the change not just change without any warning.
josie231 (09-30-2012)
Old 10-01-2012, 01:08 AM

Does anyone know if Ventress is using this new phone company?
Old 10-01-2012, 04:29 PM
Loving our life together!

The first time R called on the new system, it gave us a free 1 minute call. As soon as it was over, it automatically connected me to a customer service rep, who set up the account and took the deposit. I'm not sure if Ventress is on the new system or not, but I would assume it's only a matter of time before the entire AL DOC is on it.

KC ~n~ RE
Old 10-01-2012, 05:50 PM

Here is the # to the new company. Just call and set up an acct. 888-506-8407 I do have some wonderful news though!!!!! I was so excited that I just screamed when my husband called me back again!! The first charges that were charged to my acct were probably because they had not gotten it all set up in their system yet. The next day when my husband called back.......the total 20 min call only costs $2.75!!!!! And every call since has only been that much. They are set up for 20 min calls now too like Global was. I have a prepaid Straight Talk phone and when I activated it, I requested an Athens local #, so it's local to the prison and that makes the calls cheaper. If you don't have a local # to the prison, then it will be more expensive. My husband said that a call list does not have to be approved either now, that the first 10 #s he calls will be on his list. He can only have 10 though. This has saved us so we can talk more and stay closer! Just tell your LO that the message that he records when he first calls out on it will be the message that EVERYONE will hear when he calls them. My husband said..."Love you, baby", and now EVERYONE hears that message when he calls them. LOL He was so mad about that!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MJsFancyFace For This Useful Post:
Jason'sMama (10-06-2012), josie231 (10-01-2012), rkered (10-18-2012)
Old 06-28-2015, 02:40 AM

Unhappy New Phone Rates Effective July 1, 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Due Time View Post
Has anyone gotten any info on this new phone service (IC Solutions)? I called and didn't get any good information. Thanks in advance!
The Alabama Public Service Commission is who passed the new phone rates. I'm not sure if I can post a link or not but if so, here it is:

http://www.centurylink.com/corrections/adoc/rates.html

I argued with the Pubic Service Commission about this for a very long time and even complained to the FCC but all to no avail. If you are long distance from your LO, then it will more than likely save you some money. I am local and our calls used to be $2.75 plus taxes and surcharges which I calculated to be 6% which made the cost for a 25 minute call $2.92. Now it will be $.25 per minute no matter where the call is made to unless it is out of state. And, then they will add on their taxes and surcharges which I'm sure will still be 6%. That will make ALL calls, local or long distance be approximately $.28 per minute. I'm not too good at calculating but I believe that will now make a local call of 25 minutes cost $7.00 instead of $2.92. For $275 per month with IC Solutions, we were getting 94 25-minute phone calls. Now for $275 per month with IC Solutions, we will be getting 39 25-minute phone calls. We used to talk to each other twice a day. Looks like now it will be only once a day.

If someone is better at math, let me know if I am wrong about this.

Last edited by KatLady678; 06-28-2015 at 02:41 AM.. Reason: Added a statement.
Old 06-28-2015, 05:54 AM
♥Mike&Dawn♥

ok this explains it then..Mike called from Limestone the other night, he said it was different options than usual. I will check out this site. GOD I pray for parole on 7/14 please pray for us.

The best way to judge a society is by the way it cares for its prisoners.~Winston Churchill
Old 06-28-2015, 02:27 PM
♥Mike&Dawn♥

For clarity, all in-state calls are charged at $0.25 per minute with no per-call connection charge.

this is what it says. So with that being said my calls will go from 2.75 to 3.75 for 15 mins...

The best way to judge a society is by the way it cares for its prisoners.~Winston Churchill