Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk > GPT Phones, Mail, and Visitation Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

GPT Phones, Mail, and Visitation Discussions Please post topics or discussions here that do not fit in the appropriate state or federal forums.

Old 08-09-2018, 06:59 PM

Thanked 1,454 Times in 797 Posts
Default Books you can't send in different states

http://www.bookstoprisoners.net/banned-book-lists/
Quote:
Arizona
In 2015, the ACLU obtained documents from the Arizona prison system that detailed hundreds of publication reviews. Some of their findings are collected*here. Books that have been banned include atlases, books on drawing, and mythology books.
Take this fun quiz*to find out a few of the books that Arizona has banned over the year.

Connecticut
A copy of Connecticut’s banned books list from 2013 can be read*here. Bans include individual issues of*The*New Yorker, Adbusters,*and*Prison Legal News. She’s Come Undone –*a book selected for Oprah’s Book Club – was initially banned before media attention reversed the decision

North Carolina
Received from a prisoner, we have a scanned copy of the banned books list for the state of*North Carolina*(updated in 2015). Read it*here. Some highlights include:
591 banned titles
22 banned publishers
Banned titles like*The New Jim Crow*(Michelle Alexander),*The Art of War*(Sun Tzu), and all dictionaries.

Pennsylvania
The complete banned books list for Pennsylvania can be read*here. It is updated quarterly.
All Dungeons & Dragons and Pathfinder RPG manuals are denied (reason: “writings which advocate violence, insurrection, or guerrilla warfare against the government or any of its facilities or which create a danger within the context of the correctional facility”)
Magic: The Gathering, Rifts: Book of Magic, Warhammer 40K, and World of Warcraft materials are also banned.

Texas
Read the report on banned books in Texas, compiled by the Texas Civil Rights Project,*here. 11,851 titles were banned in Texas by 2012. Newer sources suggest that the list may have exceeded 15,000 titles by 2016. Bans include figure drawing books, John Grisham novels, and books about the history of the Civil Rights Movement. Materials that have been banned for containing “codes” include books on Wicca.

Virginia
Read a partial list of banned books in Virginia from 2001, as reported by the Schilling Show,*here. Banned authors include Louis L’Amour, James Patterson, and John Grisham. As of 2015, Virginia still maintains a banned books list for use at all facilities. No copy has been made available online, but guidelines for inclusion can be found*here.

Washington state
A frequently updated pdf of restricted publication can be found on the WA DOC site,*here. It notably includes nonfiction books such as*Trans Bodies, Trans Selves*and*The Dark Net.

fbopnomore (08-10-2018), Nickel Timer (08-09-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2018, 07:15 PM
Off-Paper Since 2009
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,985 Times in 1,163 Posts
Red face

On a related note, that Left Bank Bookstore (from the image shown at the top of that article) is a really cool little shop.

Back in my anarchist days, I bought a bunch of interesting reads from that place when I was visiting a friend up in Seattle. A great little place to check out if you're ever visiting Pike Place Market.

I'm amazed that little bookstore is still in business, it's been around forever. Looks like they work with that Books to Prisoners project to provide free literature to prisoners as well.

https://www.leftbankbooks.com/booksToPrisoners.php

I might just donate to that project, that sounds like a very worthy cause.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nickel Timer For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (08-10-2018), Fridyrr.Likn (08-09-2018), miamac (08-09-2018), xolady (08-10-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 07:41 PM
Off-Paper Since 2009
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,985 Times in 1,163 Posts

It looks like they accept donations of books, and not just money, but only from the following categories:
Quote:
Most commonly requested books:
Dictionaries
Paperback genre fiction (particularly westerns, horror, sci-fi, and fantasy)
Legal self-help
Black history/Black studies
Books in Spanish (especially Spanish fiction)
Drawing/art instruction
Games and crafts (including crossword puzzles, Sudoku, knitting, crochet, and RPG)
Vocational instruction (e.g., welding, plumbing, carpentry)
GED preparation books
True crime
Prisoner rights/prisoner organizing
Philosophy
LGBTQ books – particularly affirming books about being trans/genderqueer
Books on the occult/witchcraft/astrology/metaphysics
Urban fiction
Erotica
Blank journals (with no spiral bindings)
Graphic novels & comic books (that do not contain violent content)
http://www.bookstoprisoners.net/send-books/

I have a bunch of philosophy books collecting dust on my shelf, still in very good condition, that I think I'm going to take the opportunity to get rid of to free up space. These days I buy everything on Kindle, so I really don't have a need for physical books any more, and I'm sure many prisoners will find those reads interesting.

They recommend including a cash donation of at least $35 along with each box of books you send to cover shipping expenses back out to prisoners. Remember: they are a volunteer operation, so every dollar helps.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nickel Timer For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (08-11-2018), miamac (08-10-2018)