Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > GEORGIA > Georgia Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Georgia Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service All information & questions relating to parole, probation, work release and community service in Georgia should be posted here.

Old 03-19-2017, 01:48 PM

Default Notification of victims?

Does anyone know the answer to this: Does the parole board notify the victims of burglary of property crimes, when someone is up for parole or release? I'm asking this because there was a lot of community animosity after my son's crime and now he's up for parole after serving most of his sentence. Some of these idiots came to the court room five years ago and made some cruel comments about the sentence not being long enough in their opinions and I'm wondering if they have any power to determine what happens next. Thanks for any information you can share.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2017, 03:37 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 28,980 Times in 13,510 Posts

Unfortunately, yes they (the public, especially the victims) can influence the Board's decision:
Quote:
First, a Parole Investigator studies arrest and court records and may talk with arresting officers, court officials, victims, and witnesses in order to write a Legal Investigation report on the details of the inmate's current offense and a summary of any prior offenses in the same county.
Quote:
The Parole Process in Georgia is an open public process allowing for correspondence about the case to be sent to the Board at anytime during the offender’s incarceration up to the point of a parole release. Victims, prosecutors (district attorneys) and the public may send the Board information.

Statutory and the Board’s Notifications
Registered victims of a crime are given notification at the time the Board is considering a parole release allowing for a period the victim may send the Board information about the case. (O.C.G.A. § section 17-17-13)
http://pap.georgia.gov/parole-process-georgia-0
Old 03-19-2017, 03:45 PM

Thanked 1,159 Times in 475 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiagrama View Post
Does anyone know the answer to this: Does the parole board notify the victims of burglary of property crimes, when someone is up for parole or release? I'm asking this because there was a lot of community animosity after my son's crime and now he's up for parole after serving most of his sentence. Some of these idiots came to the court room five years ago and made some cruel comments about the sentence not being long enough in their opinions and I'm wondering if they have any power to determine what happens next. Thanks for any information you can share.
That stinks that people won't allow him to be redeemed. I would try to gather support for his release. Do you have anyone that will write letters? Also make a list of the positives he has done while serving his sentence. If there are positives waiting for him after release, I'd list those too. Having family support, a place to live & employment options are a plus.
Can you research & see if there have been any changes to sentencing laws? I know that they're trying to reduce incarceration so there may be a benefit to that.

Good luck! And check your messages, please. I PMd you a question about Family Day.
The Following User Says Thank You to GaReform For This Useful Post:
patchouli (03-19-2017)