Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Legal Help
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Legal Help Topics, Discussions and Information relating to Legal Information specific to the State of California. This information is *NOT PROFESSIONAL* and should always be fact-checked!

Old 03-07-2017, 05:44 PM

Default Restitution - 1.5 Million

My boyfriend is looking at 1.5 million in restitutions. He doesn't have any money or property. How are they going to get this money? His release date is 10/17/2021. I'm so scared!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2017, 06:06 PM
Fed-X is Back!

Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 7,606 Times in 1,554 Posts

Chances are they never will unless he has a high paying job when he gets out. They can force him to pay a reasonable amount (what he can afford based upon his job) while he's on parole / probation. After he completes that, they'd have to go after him civilly, or at least that is the way the feds handle things. California may keep him on paper until he does but my gut says no.. They'd have a lot more people with indefinite probation / parole terms and that presents its own problems.

Hopefully someone will show up soon who's dealt with this in your state that can speak better on it.
Fridyrr.Likn (11-29-2017), hopingwaiting (03-13-2017), Sarianna (03-08-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 07:50 PM

Thanked 9,871 Times in 5,545 Posts

Reasonably, he can expect to never see a tax refund again. He can expect to see a very large judgment appear on his credit report, which can potentially make it difficult for him to secure any manner of credit, be it card, car or home. He can also expect his finances to be scrutinized for the entire period of supervision and he will be taken to task for any sort of extravagance, to include getting whatever the latest and greatest cell phone might be...

The restitution nut will follow him through the term of supervision, at which time it may well be reduced to a civil judgment and also be subject to renewal at whatever interval applies. Whether post-judgement interest applies will be dependent upon statutes in that jurisdiction.

Believe it or not, there have also been people with that amount (and more) who got lucky with a one dollar scratch-off and paid off the restitution nut.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (11-29-2017), hopingwaiting (03-13-2017)
Old 03-13-2017, 02:04 PM

I just tried playing the Lotto for the first time ever....didn't win LOL I don't think I have it in me to keep trying. Guess I just have to keep saying the serenity prayer on this one.

Old 07-24-2017, 07:42 PM

Got the final result of the restitution. Civil case is at a later date ...who knows when. The civil suit may offset the amount. I PRAY that it does

Old 11-29-2017, 11:56 AM

It turns out that my honey was dismissed from the civil suit, making his employer fully liable for that.....so I am being told that means that there will be NO offset of the amount that he owes in the criminal. I am devastated. I've read everything there is to read about restitutions - civil judgement, garnished wages. Hello lifetime of debt. There is no way he will ever pay 1.2 million dollars. It's so crazy. We can never get married. We can never have a house because the gov will take it. It's so depressing. I wish there were a solution to this. Please, someone offer me words of encouragement or success stories to make me feel better

Old 11-29-2017, 12:45 PM

Thanked 1,582 Times in 1,032 Posts

Your not responsible for his restitution. I'm sure there is a lawyer that you can call that can tell you the legalities of your state but I'm not responsible for my husband's fees. They are nowhere even close to his but they can't take anything that's in my name or take money out of my account. Including your taxes. You file an injured spouse Claude and they will only take his part of your taxes.

Old 11-29-2017, 01:45 PM

Even if I'm not personally responsible for his fees, it still affects what we do, our future, etc. It's so depressing!

Old 11-29-2017, 07:57 PM

Thanked 2,216 Times in 764 Posts

Ouch. It sounds like you’ve got a good grasp on the difficulties this will present. I sincerely hope that you will be brutally honest with yourself when you assess whether or not 1.5 million dollars of unerasable debt is compatible with your goals in life. It’s a lot to take in.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:10 PM

Thanked 1,582 Times in 1,032 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopingwaiting View Post
Even if I'm not personally responsible for his fees, it still affects what we do, our future, etc. It's so depressing!
It absolutely does...but if I were in this situation I would live in a cardboard box on the side of the road if I had to just to be with my husband. If you don't feel that way about him then you should rethink your situation. Best of luck.

Old 11-29-2017, 08:26 PM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 1,639 Times in 808 Posts

Quote:
It turns out that my honey was dismissed from the civil suit, making his employer fully liable for that.....so I am being told that means that there will be NO offset of the amount that he owes in the criminal. I am devastated. I've read everything there is to read about restitutions - civil judgement, garnished wages. Hello lifetime of debt. There is no way he will ever pay 1.2 million dollars. It's so crazy. We can never get married. We can never have a house because the gov will take it. It's so depressing. I wish there were a solution to this. Please, someone offer me words of encouragement or success stories to make me feel better
There are ways for you to own a home and have bank accounts without the fear of loosing them. Relax a little I will not go in to the details how you can do this. Reason is they would be on my butt again for practicing law without a licenses. Do some research you two can still be together and have assets. You just have to know who will control these assets .
If I really loved someone I could live with them without marriage and still have the same commitment A Marriage license doesn't register how much I love , honor and respect that person.
AndyS (11-29-2017)
Old 11-29-2017, 08:34 PM

Thanked 1,720 Times in 638 Posts

Quote:
It’s not the end of the world. Yes, he’ll probably have a lifetime of debt but YOU don’t. You can buy a house and live with him. The government can’t take your assests. It might be possible for him to pay you some reasonable amount of rent to reduce his income. Even if you can’t get married it’s really just a piece of paper. It’s what your relationship is that makes a marriage real.

I haven’t read back so I don’t know what he did but you need to accept it and make the most of it. At the very most it’s a nuisance but don’t dwell on it, deal with it.
Patrickj (11-29-2017)
Old 11-30-2017, 02:04 PM

Thanks everyone! Yes, I really DO love hm more that anything - money and all the other stuff is just stressful. I don't really feel the need to get married on paper, either. It just sucks and I'm sad. I'm allowed to be sad, right? It's just hard, but I'm process of coming to terms with this reality. Another other uplifting and encouraging advice is very much welcome! Keep it coming!!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hopingwaiting For This Useful Post:
nimuay (12-01-2017), Patrickj (11-30-2017), sidewalker (12-05-2017)