Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in California that do not fit into any other California subforum.

Old 11-29-2017, 11:56 PM

Hello everyone, wondering if you can advise me on this issue with my LO.
My kid has been on prison for 16 months on a level two prison and advise by counselor to complete GED before he can get job training a get a job in prison while incarcerated. But they don't have a GED teacher for a while and they said they wont get one till next year, beside that he is not good with that type of schooling, he needs special ed's teaching and would be better for him to be enroll on high school classes with more structure. He is schedule for parole on April of 2018 and afraid he may not look good on paper. He is enroll on NA classes once a week but overall doing nothing all day the whole week. Personally I think they should be busy all day and not getting distracted with so much BS that he sees happening in prison not good things at all. It's supposed to be a correctional facility!!! Wondering if he can get transferred or talk to someone in prison to get a job, or hire a lawyer to see if he can qualify for a different program like teen project or delancy street that help them finished their incarceration on a different environment. he is afraid of catching new charges and prolonged his stay in prison.
I do appreciated your advise in advance, and I'm sorry if I sound nave but don't know how to advise my kid, I know is prison but trying to get knowledge on prison system.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2017, 12:34 AM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 14,222 Times in 5,442 Posts

If they don't have a teacher, I'm assuming they have a volunteer class? It's something typically like a drop-in study with inmate tutors.

Yes, you're correct...it is good to be busy. But, it's also important to show Board that he's capable of taking steps toward rehabilitation. Is his learning disability documented? The reason I ask is because April is really not that far away. If he's got a documented learning disability, he could still enroll in education and convey that to the tutors/teacher and study at his own pace. Which in reality, is how most GED programs work anyway. Whether he completes it or not isn't as important as committing to the program.

It's not unusual for them to allow inmates to either have a job or enroll in school, but not both. That's a matter of spaces to fill and not a punitive measure. If that's the case, it's a toss up. He can enroll in education and wait for an instructor and participate in the volunteer class, or he can forgo that and request job detail. But, if there isn't a position open, he could be sitting anyway.

I'm not sure how a lawyer would assist you unless you're trying to have the terms of his sentence restructured. Again, he has such a short time to go before his review, I wouldn't think that would be a good use of your money or time. His best bet is to make the most of where he is.

Either way, there are correspondence programs that he can participate in while he waits. You can find a list of them here. ANY self-motivated action is a positive for the Board.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (11-30-2017), nimuay (12-11-2017), sidewalker (11-30-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 06:28 PM

miamac has provided some great information. Sorry I don't have any experience on this. But, I know my nephew did his GED while in jail. Might as well get the most you can out this situation. Praying God provides guidance and makes a way for him to get his GED.