Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service All information & questions relating to parole, probation, work release & community service in the State of Texas should be posted here. Also found here is information in creating Parole Packets, discussion of Parole Attorneys, etc.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:02 AM

Default Parole package OR no parole package?....That is the question!

Good morning everybody!

So the pressing question of the day is....
Did you prepare a parole package and if so did your love one make parole?
Did you prepare your own package or did you hire or retain someone to submit on your behalf?

I know there is no way for anyone to truly determine if submitting a parole package positively impacts the outcome of their vote but I just wanted to hear what everyone had to say. Since I've joined I've been able to find comfort in the fact That I am not alone and that all my 1001 questions or uncertainty is quite normal...or at least it seems that way.

Thanks to all who read my post and thank you even more to those who posted!
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2012, 10:24 AM

I didn't prepare a parole packet but i did make sure ever person in my husbands life wrote a support letter. His boss, counselor,lawyer, children and I all sent in a letter. I know they were reviewed and considered in the process. since my husband was given a 3 year sentence and came up for parole within 3 months of incarceration I knew he would not be paroled (he was denied) but the information is there for when he comes up again in January. I think it does help the parole board see them as a person and not just a number. Some people even include pictures. I can't see hiring someone who doesn't know him as helping. I think the most positive things about a person are only known by those closest to them.
The Following User Says Thank You to welderswife For This Useful Post:
Ladycat.J (10-16-2012)
Old 10-16-2012, 10:42 AM
Waiting for my heart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladycat.J
Good morning everybody!

So the pressing question of the day is....
Did you prepare a parole package and if so did your love one make parole?
Did you prepare your own package or did you hire or retain someone to submit on your behalf?

I know there is no way for anyone to truly determine if submitting a parole package positively impacts the outcome of their vote but I just wanted to hear what everyone had to say. Since I've joined I've been able to find comfort in the fact That I am not alone and that all my 1001 questions or uncertainty is quite normal...or at least it seems that way.

Thanks to all who read my post and thank you even more to those who posted!
Good morning ladycat. I personally DID prepare a packet for my husband. He is in on an 8 year non agg charge. I wasn't too hopeful upon submitting only because the "talk of the town" is almost everyone has a strong possibility of being denied their first time up. However, I gave it my all. My husband wrote a letter identifying his reason for incarceration and willingly admitting his remorse. I submitted a letter as well acknowledging that we as his family understand the severity of the crime and will offer full support upon his release to parole. Obviously, the board wants to be sure that the inmate along with the family FULLY understand that parole is a PRIVLEDGE,not a right. A member of our church along with his employer offered letters of support as well. I sent 6 pictures. A picture of our home, him at his job, with me, with his family,and volunteering at our church festival. Shortly after sending the packet, I submitted a request for a phone interview with the lead voter, and the request was granted. I had a brief 20 minute talk on a Wednesday, and by that Friday we had a vote...and it was YES!!!!!!!!! FI-4R

My packet was family simple. Remember to address the issues and don't sugar coat. I have a few "guideline" sheets if you'd like i can email them. I followed them when I prepared mine. And as always the stickys on here are very useful. Good Luck!!

Sent from my iPad using PrisonTalk

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twinklie81 For This Useful Post:
Ladycat.J (10-16-2012), Renee (10-16-2012)
Old 10-16-2012, 03:40 PM

Superstar of the Year 

Thanked 4,949 Times in 3,184 Posts

My "packet" was the letter I wrote and the letter his parents wrote. He was granted his PRD! I don't think letters or a packet can hurt! Twinklkie has it right! Good luck!

[/color][/size][/center]

The Following User Says Thank You to Renee For This Useful Post:
Ladycat.J (10-16-2012)
Old 10-17-2012, 12:23 PM

twinklie81... My fiance is in on an 8 yr for felony dwi, no priors, not agg and is in ged classes and wanting to take the cognitive learning asap, This is my first time having to deal with any of this and am so curious about things. Can I ask how long he was in for before he made parol, My fiance is at a prelease facility. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:59 PM
Waiting for my heart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by COWBOYSGIRL
twinklie81... My fiance is in on an 8 yr for felony dwi, no priors, not agg and is in ged classes and wanting to take the cognitive learning asap, This is my first time having to deal with any of this and am so curious about things. Can I ask how long he was in for before he made parol, My fiance is at a prelease facility. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Hi cowboysgirl. Of course every situation/case is different, but we can all HOPE for the best,right? My husband was sentenced on 10/27/2011. He saw the IPO while he was still in county awaiting transfer in May 2012. The file then went to the board shortly after, and he was granted his FI-4R on Aug. 3, 2012. He still has some months before he'll even start his class but his no sooner date is May 2013. I'm hoping by some miracle, he'll be home sooner! Stay positive. Wish you the best.

Old 10-18-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinklie81 View Post
Hi cowboysgirl. Of course every situation/case is different, but we can all HOPE for the best,right? My husband was sentenced on 10/27/2011. He saw the IPO while he was still in county awaiting transfer in May 2012. The file then went to the board shortly after, and he was granted his FI-4R on Aug. 3, 2012. He still has some months before he'll even start his class but his no sooner date is May 2013. I'm hoping by some miracle, he'll be home sooner! Stay positive. Wish you the best.

Thanks Twinklie81...that helps me some with the time line. I am just so confused with all of this, seems no one person has the same answer on anything.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:15 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by COWBOYSGIRL View Post
Thanks Twinklie81...that helps me some with the time line. I am just so confused with all of this, seems no one person has the same answer on anything.
I agree, there are so many variables to take into account and even then there is never a "cookie cutter" answer to any one persons situation ....the uncertainty is what keeps me up and steadily trying to read and research all I can, as if THAT will magically produce an answer for me...me and my hysteria! How did I get here! (Rhetorical question)
Old 10-18-2012, 07:33 PM

Thanked 10,495 Times in 5,777 Posts

I would opine that it is on par with the question of waiving revocation hearings...to which the answer is to NEVER (with extremely rare exceptions) waive an opportunity to be heard. The parole review process is the same way- if there is ANYTHING you want the Board to be aware of, then written materials are the only way to ensure they have a chance to consider them as opposed to the cold black and white version of events supplied by the District Attorney or from TDCJ files.

While some files do essentially speak for themselves, there are others that need to be placed in a context in order for the files to make sense.

I know of two cases recently that felt they did not need anyone to do anything on their behalf because they felt their case was far less complex than one I prepared and presented to the Board for a personal acquaintance who had landed in TDCJ. Both of those cases had histories that were, in my opinion, ones explainable to the Board and that could have received favorable action. They elected not to engage anyone or even have their families do or submit anything and are now doing an additional year, quite possibly as a direct consequence of not submitting anything to the Board. And neither case has any factors that would meet the criteria for an application for Special Review...
The Following User Says Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
Ladycat.J (10-19-2012)