Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > Continuing and Adult Education
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Continuing and Adult Education Discuss college and continuing education.

View Poll Results: What type of education do you have?
Male- Didnt graduate from High School 5 0.34%
Male- Graduated from High School 9 0.61%
Male- Graduated with Associates Degree 18 1.22%
Male- Graduated with Bachelors Degree 53 3.58%
Male- Graduated with Post Graduate Degree 16 1.08%
Female- Didnt graduate from High School 25 1.69%
Female- Graduated from High School 171 11.55%
Female- Graduated with Associates Degree 374 25.27%
Female- Graduated with Bachelors Degree 514 34.73%
Female- Graduated with Post Graduate Degree 295 19.93%
Voters: 1480. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-26-2006, 01:06 AM
Donation Award 

Question How many of you have college degrees?

My friends and family are disappointed that im dating an inmate. They often refer to my education as a reason for me not dating a inmate? I always tell them im not the only person with a degree who dates or marries an in mate. so im asking how many of you have degrees and what type of degree do you have?
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to keytwo For This Useful Post:
Careers4Us (07-22-2015), EricsGal (02-01-2012), Heluvedme1st (06-03-2013), Latinachic (02-03-2010), MariaFairmaiden (11-03-2015), noboundries (08-03-2014)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2006, 02:01 AM
Boss

We have just as many educated people on PTO and lin love with prisoners as you would find anywhere else. Maybe even more so since we have some very strong, independant women here. I don't think education level has ANY reflection on who you choose to love.

I am currently working towards my master's degree while working in the field.

Out of curiosity, why would it matter what our gender is?

Last edited by one_luv; 05-26-2006 at 02:03 AM..
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to one_luv For This Useful Post:
Careers4Us (07-22-2015), Chucky'swife (08-03-2014), cubanmom (07-26-2012), Libby1234 (01-27-2016), penpalgirl123 (05-18-2009)
Old 07-01-2013, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_luv View Post
We have just as many educated people on PTO and lin love with prisoners as you would find anywhere else. Maybe even more so since we have some very strong, independant women here. I don't think education level has ANY reflection on who you choose to love.

I am currently working towards my master's degree while working in the field.

Out of curiosity, why would it matter what our gender is?
A good sub-topic here would be, "How many of your fellas have degrees?"
Old 07-10-2013, 03:40 AM

Thanked 1,466 Times in 822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandedmanswife

A good sub-topic here would be, "How many of your fellas have degrees?"
That would be interesting to see. My man had his Bachelors by 19 years old (yah I'm bragging! LOL) and he just took exams to pass his Masters a few weeks ago. I'm so proud of him! He's more educated than me but still calls himself a Moldovan redneck! Haha!
Old 05-26-2006, 06:42 AM

I definately loved school...I have a bachelor in science for biology, a Masters in Science for Molecular Biology and I am half way done with my MBA! My man who is in for a DUI was almost done with his Bachelors and is a accomplished chef (who went to school for it) soooo it does not always matter. Just remember that your parents love you and only want whats best for you....its hard because I know that if I had a daughter I would tell her to run for the hills instead of be with a guy in Jail. Not only because the man was retarded enough to do something to go to jail but also waiting for someone.....Good luck and don't let them get you down!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iverske9 For This Useful Post:
Careers4Us (07-22-2015), Quetz (03-10-2015)
Old 05-26-2006, 06:51 AM
Former Moderator
Donation Award 

I have been going to college on and off since 1984. I have one BA and am working on another one. In between I have gotten some certificates along the way. Kevin has his GED and did take some college between sentences. He wants to go back when he gets out.
Live as if you'll die today
~James Dean~
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rottn For This Useful Post:
Careers4Us (07-22-2015), cubanmom (07-26-2012)
Old 05-26-2006, 06:57 AM

im a college- educated professional registered nurse. for more support pls. check out aol journals- reflections of a prison wife and loving a man behind bars.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ms.crystal For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2006, 09:23 AM

I don't think education has anything to do with love.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:23 AM
Who cares what they think

i have an assoc in human services and am three semesters away from my BA - i plan on going to law school......education has nothing to do with who you love, my man is doing a 13 yr bid and he is college educated himself......stuff happens!

MoetBJ
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to moetbj For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2012, 09:59 PM
I trust him to Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by moetbj View Post
i have an assoc in human services and am three semesters away from my BA - i plan on going to law school......education has nothing to do with who you love, my man is doing a 13 yr bid and he is college educated himself......stuff happens!
Exactly!!! Stuff happens, By the Grace of God Go I
Old 05-26-2006, 09:46 AM
Banned

Red face

High school educated right here!! I never wanted to go to college, so, I didn't. I am in love and I do have eyes. Without them, I wouldn't be able to see what a georgeous hunk of mane my man is!! HOWEVER, because the eye that I use THEE MOST (95%) when it comes to love is my third eye, I really can relate to zhane's "no eyes in love" thing.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:57 AM
The Tatt'd Prosecutor

I have a Juris Doctor with a Masters Degree and a Bachelors Degree. My education has nothing to do with how much I love my husband. I loved him before I had all of that education and I'd love him without all of that education.
Careers4Us (07-22-2015), noboundries (08-03-2014)
Old 08-01-2006, 09:03 AM
Led by the Great Spirit.

Default Two Years but no degree

I put, in two years, of college toward a journalism degree, but was forced to drop, short of the degree. I hope to go back to work, toward the four year, but will change direction and being working, on Criminal Justice this time.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:09 AM

I have a bachelors degree in business management with an emphasis in political science. I worked on Capitol Hill for 2 years.
My man is working on his degree, and yes, my family has major qualms with him not being graduated....

My baby is HOME!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to texasgrl For This Useful Post:
Careers4Us (07-22-2015), newtothis_1 (05-04-2017)
Old 05-26-2006, 10:13 AM
6 years strong <3

I have a Bachelor's degree, and sometimes when people find out that my husband is in prison, they give me the "what are you thinking?" or "you can do better" look. They don't even ask me if I'm happy, they just assume that he must be a bad person and treat me like crap because he's in prison. But then again, to most people I know, being treated good by your man is defined as him buying you expensive things and taking you out to dinner and things like that. Personally, I can do without all that and he treats me just fine by being the sweet, loving, appreciative, respectful, romantic man that he is. Educated or not, he is who he is, and I love him for that.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to babygurl919 For This Useful Post:
Careers4Us (07-22-2015), Chucky'swife (08-03-2014), EricsGal (02-01-2012), mrs.hollywood (05-15-2011), reesiegirl34 (02-21-2011), Virgofemme73 (06-06-2010)
Old 05-26-2006, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babygurl919
I have a Bachelor's degree, and sometimes when people find out that my husband is in prison, they give me the "what are you thinking?" or "you can do better" look. They don't even ask me if I'm happy, they just assume that he must be a bad person and treat me like crap because he's in prison. But then again, to most people I know, being treated good by your man is defined as him buying you expensive things and taking you out to dinner and things like that. Personally, I can do without all that and he treats me just fine by being the sweet, loving, appreciative, respectful, romantic man that he is. Educated or not, he is who he is, and I love him for that.

VERY WELL SAID, Babygurl919. And I totally agree. I am just credits away from my Associates Degree in Business. I love school...I love challenging my mind. But my heart? It belongs to my husband - absolutely - no challenge there. :love: Its his and no one else's - and I do NOT need a degree to understand that!!
OH HELL YEAH!!

The Following User Says Thank You to NJNancymae For This Useful Post:
Careers4Us (07-22-2015)
Old 05-26-2006, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babygurl919

That was beautifully said, as always, Jess. I couldn't add anything else to it if I tried.

Lisa
Old 03-05-2007, 01:24 AM

Hi...I love how you said all that!!! I couldn't of said it better!!!!! I also have degrees : (an Associates in Computerized Business Systems/ Accounting, and am a certified paralegal)....I'm attempting a return to school (on-line because of my two younger children, mainly I'll be squeezing it in between everything else) but I hope to aquire my Bachelor's. My point being....I could have 15 degrees....why would that have anything to do with who I fell in love with?. And that last part (of who you fall in love with) should not be taken lightly. How many people do you actually know that are totally in love, happy with who they're with, and are experiencing everything that goes along with that? Anyone that has been together for any length of time, much less still together and happy to be together.? It doesn't seem to exists in this day and age-- does it?!! So if that's what you've found, I'm sure you're busy livin and lovin and the hell with what others say.... I know that's easy to say, sometimes you just don't want it to HAVE to be that way, or for people to think the way they do or say the things they say, especially family, but you can't change them, you know that..... People (especially family) are always gonna talk and have something to say. You can't prevent that.....and I don't know the secret of success, but I do know the secret of failure and unhappiness is trying to please everyone. Follow your heart, and be happy!!!!! That's the most important for me......I remember saying that in kindergarden when the teacher asked what we wanted to be when we grew up.....I didn't say a lawyer or teacher or nurse like everyone else.....I said I wanted to be happy. (it's not an easy thing to find or accomplish).....if you're happy that's all that should matter. And by what you've said.....that's what DOES matter to you, and I am happy for you both. It's nice to know there's others out there somewhere that've found THAT someone. LIVE, LAUGH, N LOVE ALWAYS....... bye for now....Michelle (las vegas)
Old 07-01-2010, 10:37 PM

Amen..I get the same reaction when people find out my man is in jail and everyone is so pessimistic about it. Saying he will never change, but I just got to brush it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babygurl919 View Post
Old 08-03-2014, 12:44 PM
♥HIS WIFEY POR VIDA ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by babygurl919 View Post

Totally agree with you
Old 05-26-2006, 10:14 AM
Donation Award 

The gender is for my own personal research. Wondering if educated women are more likely to have an inmate relationship then educated men. by the way i personally feel education has nothing to do with love. However, my friends and family keep bringing it up. i know im not the only one with a degree in the PTO just wanted to know about who the other people were.
The Following User Says Thank You to keytwo For This Useful Post:
Careers4Us (07-22-2015)
Old 05-26-2006, 10:27 AM

I couldn't have said it better than you all have - my level of education has nothing to do with who I'm in love with or what I am able to accept about him. I have a bachelor's degree and I'm going back to graduate school in the fall - actually completing an accelerated program that will allow me to change careers.
Careers4Us (07-22-2015)
Old 05-26-2006, 10:34 AM
Banned

Stereotypes are constricting and unfair... there are many educated people who have loved ones incarcerated (I am one of them).
Old 05-26-2006, 12:11 PM
...are we there yet?

I am a female with a BA working towards my Masters..............he has never gone to school after High School, doesn't make a difference to us n e way! He made more money in his job then I did with my education and as long as him and I see eye to eye and I feel we are on the same wavelength that is all that matters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Of course right now I make more money, lol, and probably will even after he comes home for a while, but having him home is all I want and need! Of course my parents have always wanted me to marry someone as educated as I am, but they met my husband and saw we were great together and I don't give a *$&(#^ what they want for me .......this is my life I am living thank you very much, to their credit, they have been 250% supportive in this situation.......

Last edited by bailey_b; 05-26-2006 at 12:13 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to bailey_b For This Useful Post:
Careers4Us (07-22-2015)
Old 05-28-2006, 11:38 PM
still here

Wink

Hey! I'm not finished with school yet, but I've been in college for 3 years and have a 3.58 gpa (it should be better but I just now started really trying hard). I just got accepted into the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences to get my BS in Diagnostic Medical Sonography (it's where you do ultrasounds, most people ask what it is so I thought I would go ahead and tell you). Anyway, I'm sure my parents are gonna start bringing that up too when they realize I'm really serious about him. I'm glad you posted this thread to let people see that there are a lot of educated people that actually date inmates.

Home Since 11-29-06 & Broke Up Since 06-13-07
The Following User Says Thank You to D's Wifey To Be For This Useful Post:
Carlapetty (03-26-2017)