Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > PRISON PEN PALS > Prison Inmate Pen-Pal Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison Inmate Pen-Pal Talk General talk about prison pen-pals. Please do not place ads in this forum!

Old 12-13-2016, 07:06 PM

Default How can I find a Buddhist pen pal?

Hi, I'm not experienced with prison pen pal thing. I did exchange a few letters with a prisoner on death row in Ohio for a year before he was executed. Now I am more motivated than ever to do constructive things for society, and one thing I think could be helpful is providing friendship to prisoners, who I see as people who have been abandoned by society and yet are still deserving of compassion and a chance to heal.

I am a straight male and primarily interested in writing to male prisoners, as I feel I can relate best to men's emotions. I'm not interested in romance and probably won't be sending money. Just friendship.

I have about 15 years of Buddhist meditation and retreat experience. I was thinking that it would be nice to find a Buddhist inmate.

To be clear, I don't absolutely require my pen pals to be a specific religion. I am down with any religion that practices kindness and compassion.

But in any case, if I wanted to find a Buddhist pen pal, how would I go about that?

Mike
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pt1127 For This Useful Post:
BigSister12 (01-22-2019), TawnyStar (12-15-2016)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2016, 07:11 PM
Lil British Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 10,090 Times in 4,224 Posts

Hi there , we have a penpal section on here but penpals are listed by state rather than religion.
If you google inmate penpals some penpal sites allow you to search listings by religion.
I hope you find some friends to write to.

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army.
Old 12-14-2016, 08:44 AM

While I'm not a complete adherent, I too use Buddhism as a spiritual tool, specifically Zen. I've traveled to different temples to do residencies and am aware of these penpal programs. Here's one I know about and it sounds just like what you're looking for: http://www.austinzencenter.org/outre...uddhapals.html Buddhism is also practiced within the prisons so there may be some resources to get involved in if you could make contacts with those running them on the inside. Also to note, while I haven't sought penpals that were specifically into Buddhism, I do keep numerous correspondences. I've found that it can be enlightening and an addition to one's life. All the best to you - I love your motivations
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TawnyStar For This Useful Post:
BigSister12 (01-22-2019), maytayah (12-14-2016)
Old 12-14-2016, 08:21 PM

Since I see you're in LA, here's one through a local temple as well: http://www.againstthestream.org/comm...on-the-inside/
Old 12-14-2016, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TawnyStar View Post
Since I see you're in LA, here's one through a local temple as well:
Thanks! Yeah I actually saw that and sent an email a few days ago to get some more info, haven't heard back from them yet.
Mike
The Following User Says Thank You to pt1127 For This Useful Post:
TawnyStar (12-15-2016)
Old 12-15-2016, 02:39 PM

you can go to the Webpage writeaprison.com page and the you can do a advantance search and then you can click on buddhism.. so that you can find there a few new friends.
Old 01-17-2017, 03:24 PM

Writeaprisoner.com has an advanced search feature that allows you to search by religion
Old 12-10-2018, 10:52 PM

Default Inmate seeks Buddhist Pen Pal

I have a prison ministry. A letter came in from an inmate named Rosco who recently converted to Buddhism. He wants to write to someone who can guide him because right now he only has pamphlets. Mike, it sounds like this man would appreciate writing to you. If you are still seeking a Buddhist inmate to write, please PM me.

Thanks.

Rev. Aikya

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt1127 View Post
Hi, I'm not experienced with prison pen pal thing. I did exchange a few letters with a prisoner on death row in Ohio for a year before he was executed. Now I am more motivated than ever to do constructive things for society, and one thing I think could be helpful is providing friendship to prisoners, who I see as people who have been abandoned by society and yet are still deserving of compassion and a chance to heal.

I am a straight male and primarily interested in writing to male prisoners, as I feel I can relate best to men's emotions. I'm not interested in romance and probably won't be sending money. Just friendship.

I have about 15 years of Buddhist meditation and retreat experience. I was thinking that it would be nice to find a Buddhist inmate.

To be clear, I don't absolutely require my pen pals to be a specific religion. I am down with any religion that practices kindness and compassion.

But in any case, if I wanted to find a Buddhist pen pal, how would I go about that?

Mike
Old 01-22-2019, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt1127 View Post

Mike

While this OP is a few years old, I think your intentions are wonderful, Mike. Did you find the penpal you sought, and are you still looking for anyone to correspond with? My brother is struggling with finding himself and his place in this world (he’s new to the system, as a result of a horrible accident, and is a good man); Buddhism is something he is exploring in his quest for newfound spirituality.

Either way, he is seeking penpals that might serve as great sounding boards and sources of wisdom — he doesn’t need money and isn’t looking for companionship, just a peaceful friend.

If you’re interested in chatting with him or adding him to your penpal list, I think he would very much enjoy speaking with you.