Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Coming Home
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Coming Home Dedicated to discussions about our loved ones that are coming home soon. Discussions here should not fit any other category.

Old 11-18-2012, 11:47 PM

Default What sort of things does a person go through when released?

My partner gets out soon and seems really excited, he has sll these plans and things hr wants to do which is great, I'm worried he will be dissapointed if things dont happen straight away for him, I want to be supportive and I guess I just want to know what will he be feeling when he gets out, I know everyone's different but is there a range of emotions people go through, any common issues or problems that prisoners go through after being released etc. This probably makes no sense, struggling to put into words what I mean but any advice would be appreciated. Thank you :-)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2012, 01:54 AM
Donation Award 

Your post sure does make sense, so dont worry about that. :-)
Yes, he will have a list of things he wants to do, things he wants to eat, movies he wants to see .....
It depends on how long he has been away, and what restrictions are placed on him. It is really important that he does not break the rules as to what he is allowed to do or where to go etc.
Besides that, enjoy every moment. My mate has alsorts of things bubbling up in his head about what he wants to do (and we still have quite a way to go) I just enjoy these thoughts and keep a track of things that he suggests. I figure he will come home and we will do some of them and then reach a sort of pause, and then I can bring out these other ideas and go do those.

I am lucky, in that most of these ideas dont cost money, or dont cost much.

The main thing I am worried about, is him getting a job. I know there is one person that will emply him, but what if... Getting a job will be the hardest thing for us. So, I am encouraging him to get any experience or qualifications he can while in prison. Bugger is, he is not yet eligible to take part in any training.

As for emotions, there are other threads well worth reading. It is not easy being 'out'. Look to the influences that led him to being inside before, they are the greatest threat.

How long do you have left?
Old 11-19-2012, 04:51 AM
Not active-find *********

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 7,370 Times in 3,006 Posts

Read some of the posts and stickies here in our Coming Home Forum:

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=206

When I was lost--I found PTO. Thank you everyone.

"Pay it forward."
The Following User Says Thank You to Momma Ann For This Useful Post:
number8 (11-21-2012)
Old 11-19-2012, 10:44 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,974 Times in 12,179 Posts

If he comes out with a probation/parole tail, be sure to tell him not to do anything that could cause the PO to send him back to prison. PVs are sometimes way easier to get than he might expect, so he needs to be very careful until he finishes his term of supervision.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
If he comes out with a probation/parole tail, be sure to tell him not to do anything that could cause the PO to send him back to prison. PVs are sometimes way easier to get than he might expect, so he needs to be very careful until he finishes his term of supervision.
Yes...it is very easy to be violated! My husband is in right now on a PV, he was doing almost everything he was supposed to last time, but ALMOST doesnt cut it. My husband is about to be out again in less than 3 weeks. I worry because he tends to be very inpatient and wants a job ASAP, but thats not such an easy thing to do sometimes, especially in this economy and with a felony. Hopefully all will go well and I will be here to support him. Things are not easy when they get out...it takes time to be 'uninstitutionalized'.

The Following User Says Thank You to patriceaa For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (11-20-2012)
Old 11-20-2012, 06:51 PM

Thank you guys, his meant to be out already bit there's been a delay so now looking at January...fingers crossed. Just want to be supportive of what he feels when he gets out:-%
The Following User Says Thank You to mahalia For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (11-22-2012)