Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > Parents with Children in Prison > PWCIP - Introductions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

PWCIP - Introductions Welcome to the Parents With Children in Prison Forum. Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself!

Old 11-29-2014, 07:41 PM
Donation Award 

Default Mother of an incarcerated daughter

My daughter went to prison on 11/10/14 for violating Michigan's medical marijuana law. I am struggling with many aspects of her arrest. In another county in Michigan, she probably wouldn't even have been charged. Her role was very minor and she has never been in trouble before. She drew a very tough prosecutor and a very anti-marijuana judge. Her lawyer was disinclined to try the case. Even with that, I never, ever thought that she would end up in prison. Her lawyer negotiated a plea bargain and told her that she would go to a 90 day boot camp program within 1-10 days of arrival. Our communication with her has been very limited but she said the program has been extremely backed up and they do not necessarily take inmates in the order in which they came to prison. She will likely be there for months before she even is considered for the program. I am grateful for this site. I actually have gotten more information from here than from reading the Dept. of Corrections website and trying to get info. from her lawyer.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sushi56 For This Useful Post:
ceceliamom (04-08-2015), Here4Us (11-30-2014)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2014, 09:04 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,943 Times in 12,162 Posts

Welcome to the PWCIP forum. I hope she is accepted into the program quickly, completes it, and is released soon. The timing will be completely up to MI DOC, so unfortunately nothing will happen before they decide to allow it.

Comparing her sentence to other sentences will just make you nuts, so try not to worry about it. Our criminal injustice system and it's punishments are uneven, especially with the "war on drugs", which now even includes legal drugs too.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:56 PM

My son violated his probation on a DUI in Minnesota and will be spending the next 41 months in prison. Right now it seems like forever. We really never saw this coming. Makes my heart hurt.
The Following User Says Thank You to JanieMae For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (12-01-2014)
Old 11-30-2014, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushi56 View Post
My daughter went to prison on 11/10/14 for violating Michigan's medical marijuana law. I am struggling with many aspects of her arrest. In another county in Michigan, she probably wouldn't even have been charged. Her role was very minor and she has never been in trouble before. She drew a very tough prosecutor and a very anti-marijuana judge. Her lawyer was disinclined to try the case. Even with that, I never, ever thought that she would end up in prison. Her lawyer negotiated a plea bargain and told her that she would go to a 90 day boot camp program within 1-10 days of arrival. Our communication with her has been very limited but she said the program has been extremely backed up and they do not necessarily take inmates in the order in which they came to prison. She will likely be there for months before she even is considered for the program. I am grateful for this site. I actually have gotten more information from here than from reading the Dept. of Corrections website and trying to get info. from her lawyer.
I'm sorry. I know how hard it is.