Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > FLDOC - What You Need to Know > Florida Prison Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Florida Prison Phones, Packages & Mail Use this forum to discuss Florida prison Phones, Packages & Mail issues & topics. If you have a question about or want to discuss these issues in a specific facility, please visit that facility's regional subforum in the Florida forum.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:08 AM

Default magazines - A good place to order from?

I am getting ready to sens some magazines to my 21 year old son. two questions---- Any one know a publisher that carries multiple selections? He hasn't asked me but his Dad to send either Curves or Maxim. I looked them them up and they are all girls, no nudity but doesn't leave a lot to be desired... he tells his DAD lots of the guys get them... his DAD says yes, I say no... I want no trouble sending this... any feed back would be great helping make the decision.I already have a list that includes Popular Science, The Sporting News,
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2010, 07:05 AM
Administrator Emeritus

Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 6,538 Times in 3,575 Posts

I usually order from www.mags4cheap.com because when you enter what you are looking for a special usually pops up on 2 magazines. Be sure to call his facility mailroom to find out if those magazines are allowed. Although there is no nudity, some of the prisons will not give him those particular mags. We never had a problem with Maxim but I know someone who did at a different prison than us, so it's always best to check first.

"To thine own self be true" - William Shakespeare

He's home!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to ben's girl For This Useful Post:
Dar99 (01-05-2010)
Old 01-05-2010, 11:45 AM

Check with the facility librarian to see what magazines they already subscribe to. Maxim and similar soft-core magazines are examined issue-by-issue (see the Chapter 33 rule for Admissible Reading for specifics) and particular issues are rejected if they cross the (most nebulous) line. Some inmates say don't bother subscribing because too many individual issues get rejected so it's not worth it. Also officers are known to make off with copies. The individual facilities do not have the authority to take it upon themselves to reject an issue. They CAN and DO file an online objection if they find what they feel is something inadmissible in a magazine, but the decision as to whether or not to reject it is made by a central DOC committee and distributed to all the mailrooms and the libraries statewide. If an issue is NOT rejected by the committee but the mailroom won't let the inmate have it, it is grounds for a grievance. The list of rejected magazine issues is required to be available through the libraries. The system doesn't work seamlessly because of time lags, but there is a system at least.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fencie For This Useful Post:
Dar99 (01-05-2010)
Old 01-05-2010, 06:29 PM
I miss my baby!!

My husband was getting Curves and never had any problems. He doesn't get it anymore but I know when he was they never rejected any of them. Star, People, and US Mag are reall good ones to send and usually they can trade them off to someone else after they are done with them, Curves is also really good for trading off too. So they help in more ways than one.

The Following User Says Thank You to timsbabygirl For This Useful Post:
Dar99 (01-05-2010)