Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > High Desert State Prison (HDSP) - California
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

High Desert State Prison (HDSP) - California Topic and discussion specific to HDSP-High Desert State Prison located in Susanville, California.

Old 11-09-2005, 06:47 PM

Default High Desert State Prison~Susanville???

My husband was just sent yesterday to HDSP. He is now in reception. Can anyone tell me how long reception is? What can I send him? Books? Envelopes? Any information would be great. I do not know anything at this point. Can he make phone calls? Shelly
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2005, 08:26 PM
All My Life

No phone calls. You can send in books, even used books from a bookstore. 20 stamps and envelopes at a time. Paper. I sent in blank card stock at 10 pieces per envelope. The local paper can be mailed. Recpetion can tale weeks or months, depending on the backlog and his personal case. They are trying to determine the best available place for him. My info is 2 years old, though. Can anyone verify?

If you live to be a hundred,
I want to live to be a hundred minus one day,
so I never have to live without you.

Old 11-09-2005, 08:43 PM

Hi Shelly, I responded to your pm. and basically what Debbie said is still current info. Laura
Old 11-16-2005, 09:15 PM

Do the books have to be directly sent from the bookstore?
& Does anyone do visits at HDSP?
Old 11-16-2005, 09:45 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 23,027 Times in 7,142 Posts

I visit there....I can't make comparisons because it's the only prison I've ever been to, but I'll be glad to answer any questions I can.
I can tell you a few things now....if you drive up to visit, stock your car for winter conditions...chains, blankets,extra coats and socks, bottled water,etc, I am very sincere on this point, you'll probably never see conditions severe enough to need them, but there are some awfully remote places that you pass through getting there from any direction so please err on the side of caution....

In case you wanted some information about the town itself...the Super 8 and the River Inn are my two favorite motels in town, rooms run about 55 per night for one adult,both have smoking and non-smoking rooms with fridge and microwave, get a phone card if you'll be making any long distance calls from your room(get it at Safeway, the ones the front desk sells are not that great a deal) the Starbucks over by Safeway opens at 5 am and the girls are sweethearts, if you want to go out for a drink or just to listen to a jukebox and not be alone, the Pioneer on Main, up near the theatre is a great place, the bartenders rock,the regulars are friendly but not "too friendly", and the selection in the jukebox is pretty good... the Black Bear near the Super8 is supposed to have pretty good food and there's an asian fast food place with very good food at decent prices right across the street from the River Inn, next door to Knights Inn... the Safeway has a really good deli.
Everything you're likely to need is right on Main Street, so you won't have any trouble getting around.
Susanville is not a bad little town and overall I've found the locals to be friendly and helpful.

In memory of Mrs. Dragoness

Speak your mind-
Even if your voice shakes

Specializing in pest control- Site Exterminator.

Last edited by LeBeau; 11-16-2005 at 09:49 PM..
Old 11-16-2005, 09:45 PM

Yes the books have to be sent from the bookstore. I went to a local used bookstore. I dont know anything about the visiting there. You can also send stuff from the internet like puzzles, stories, jokes.