Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in California that do not fit into any other California subforum.

Old 10-20-2012, 08:06 AM
Jenn

Default New to this, husband transferred to reception.

My husband was just transferred to a reception in California. I have no idea what his release date is or where he will go from reception. How long does it usually take before I will know how much time he will actually serve and where he will be permanently? Also he would like to go to a fire camp, does anyone know if that is possible with his crimes being violent domestic violence crimes? Any input is very appreciated thanks so much
Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2012, 08:38 AM

I just wanted to say hi and welcome. There are people here with men the fire camps so they can answer that. I'm in Canada so I'll let someone down there accurately fill in details but I understand the waiting and not knowing anything. Drive me nuts. I have learned that I just don't have all the answers I want and that's just how it is....somedays it drives me nuts still but mostly I deal. It will come. Hope you get your answers soon.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:42 PM
Missing my love

In my experience, if he is already been transfered to reception then he has been sentenced and should have a general time frame of when he will be released. The counseler should go see him while he is in reception and provide him with his actual out date and they should ask him to list a few places where he wants to go and then they will make a decision from there. As for how long this takes, unfortunately it could take months. It did for my guy last time. Stay strong for him during this reception period, its like they are on lockdown in there all the time. Most of the time they are stuck in the ced.and no phone and it was impossible for more to get a visit at that time. It can drive a man crazy. As for fire camp, I'm sorry, I have no idea.
I wouldn't mind it at all
I wouldn't mind it at all
Old 10-20-2012, 10:22 PM
Jenn

Thanks for the answers and the welcome the waiting is killing me. I just want to know when I will be able to see him again !
Old 10-21-2012, 06:29 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD
Donation Award 

Thanked 32,999 Times in 16,490 Posts

Just a bit of info, if you were a victim of the DV, you likely wont be allowed to visit him.

While in reception he wont be able to use the phone (most often, anyway) so writing is the way your going to have to communicate.
I'd also find the sub forum for whatever prison he's been sent to for reception. You will get good info there as well.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:21 AM
He's Home!

Thanked 1,555 Times in 1,191 Posts

Being that you are his victim you will more than likely not be able to visit him, write him or receive calls from him. Also with his crime being considered violent he will also more than likely not be eligible for Fire Camp. Once he sees his counselor at Reception he can find out more (eligibility requirements, what his release date is, etc...) Since you are his victim you will also be notified before he is released.

"We are the perfect couple, we're just not in the perfect situation." ~ Unknown
Old 10-28-2012, 06:16 PM

@Jenny3,I am also new to this, if you find out any information please do post. If anyone out there has experienced a DV case, your experience with the CDCR is greatly appreciated.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:16 PM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD
Donation Award 

Thanked 32,999 Times in 16,490 Posts

Hi cocacola4kris......
it may or may not assist you but you can always check out the DV forums

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=117

it wont be specific to CA but it is to DV

The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
janicesg (11-13-2012)
Old 10-30-2012, 09:26 AM

Default I also am dealing with reception issues--here is what I know

Sorry to hear that you are in this same time period where you feel like you are totally in the dark with no info. Been there, doing this myself. MY LO is in reception in Tracy at DVI and has been for ...well 1 mo and 2 days. He says that its taking on average of 3 mo to get through. (same thing I had been told here) He has only just even been taken to medical for blood draw etc. Other than a breif psych eval...10 questions mainly basic intelligence and are you a threat to yourself..... he hasnt seen anyone. His Cell mate was there for 2 mo when he got there and still is. IDK if he has been classified or not (but I know he does have Phych problems so he will be a tough placement)....All I can suggest is get him a stationary pack out ASAP and put a long letter in the package. My Guy got that pack in 2 days (mailed it tues, he got it thurs) As for what I was able to send, I posted it in DVI mail thread. I know this is tough, no contact, and letters are sporatic especially at first. I know my Guy had/has a tough time ...they are locked down 23/7 in a 2 man cell. They didnt even get to go yard for like the first 10 days. If you need an ear, or have any other questions I might be able to help with...shoot me a private message

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennv3 View Post
My husband was just transferred to a reception in California. I have no idea what his release date is or where he will go from reception. How long does it usually take before I will know how much time he will actually serve and where he will be permanently? Also he would like to go to a fire camp, does anyone know if that is possible with his crimes being violent domestic violence crimes? Any input is very appreciated thanks so much
The Following User Says Thank You to simply_deee For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (10-30-2012)
Old 11-13-2012, 10:22 PM
Donation Award 

Default DV and Visiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocacola4kris View Post
@Jenny3,I am also new to this, if you find out any information please do post. If anyone out there has experienced a DV case, your experience with the CDCR is greatly appreciated.
If you want to visit, it will likely be a long road of appeals and endless paperwork. I was approved to visit by visiting staff at the first institution after reception, CTF, then denied when I arrived for the visit because of a note in the computer from the counselor in reception. The note stated, "No contact with named victim." Then I contacted the counselor, and after submitting the sentencing transcript, and the counselor's contacting the DA's office to make it clear what a peaceful contact order is, I was approved for contact visists. I never got to visit because he was then transferred to SCC, then the visits were again denied. So I appealed to the Warden and got denied. Then I appealed to the Director and got approved for non-contact visits only. Then he got transferred to RJD, where staff have told him the only way to ever get regular visits is to get the proctective order rescinded. So now I'm working on that, via a letter to the judge. (I don't know if my county ever pulls back a restraining order.) That's my experience so far.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:35 PM
Donation Award 

Default How long in reception

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennv3 View Post
Thanks for the answers and the welcome the waiting is killing me. I just want to know when I will be able to see him again !
The longest my husband was ever in reception was 10 months, the shortest was about 6 weeks (due to medical concerns). More recently it seems to be 3-6 months on average. Realignment hasn't helped much because of staff cutbacks.