Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > FLDOC - What You Need to Know
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

FLDOC - What You Need to Know Information relating to the Florida Department of Corrections. Q&A for those new to the FLDOC system should be posted here.

Old 10-16-2009, 04:13 PM
Dawn loves Michael always

Default Florida Gain Time Inconsistentcies each month

You know I am getting sick of trying to figure this out. Twelve years ago my husband got 10 days a month, period. Maybe it was where he was at. He got four days for the month of July. Now, what is HILARIOUS is he was transferred to NWFL Reception on July 30th. So he was only technically there less than two days. Ok. For the month of August (and he was there the entire dang month) he got two days because he got a CC due to a guard changing rules when he was unconscious from cold medication. He chose not to fight it but it only permitted him to get a "satisfactory" security rating. Yep, because some chick can't handle seeing a guy get up to pee in boxers and a t-shirt. Ugh! So I'm thinking surely he'll the full four days from September. He was at ACI-East from 9/4 until 10/12. He's had no write ups that I'm aware of. He was in Administrative Confinement while they decided if he needed protection for seventeen long days. But, nope, he only got two days.

Is this typical of every Florida prison now? He has been given a job assignment since he's been moved to the West Unit. Currently he's in the kitchen but we are working with Classification to get him an outside work pass. Just have to have psych say he's ok. Which they just did a couple of days ago, but now Classification is asking for it in writing because I'm raising questions.

I am, whether they like it or not, a member of his ICT team. Ahem. Yeah, I know I'm just the wife. But hey, if I don't pitch a fit who will!

They also told me he's not eligible for a review of custody until February. Well excuse me but Tallie told me he was eligible this month. So if they are not dropping his custody this month to community I am asking for a reason. I'm sure it's all about not being able to exercise his custody (he's minimum). But that's because of the discriminatory practices of the DOC with regards to people who are taking anti-depressants. Guess who is fixing to be a biotch with that. Hmmmm....

Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2009, 05:57 PM

I know what you mean..finally my husband has been getting his 10 days a month....a couple months ago, he got a cc which he was never even notified that he got, supposedly for talking during count, but he still got 6 days...To me, as long as you work and stay out of trouble, you should get 10 days. Seems like DOC does everything in their power to try and keep them there longer... Try to get him out of the kitchen..when my husband was working in the kitchen it was hell!! He hated it....

I'd think what tallahassee says will over rule what the prison wants to do..they should go for review with their classification officer every 6 months...now i am not sure if it has to be time for their review for their custody to be dropped...For example, when my husband got a DR, his custody went up right away...So what's the difference if they are doing good? Then it should drop....
Old 10-16-2009, 06:50 PM
MRS BG ❤ Thee Original

Ya, we still getten 10 days a month too. He has a job but they don't do anything like they sign the paper & thats that. But he still gets 10 days. Doesn't his gain time sheet that he gets every month tell him why he's not getten a full 10 like even for the month he didnt get in trouble? Id call his classification, tell them give u ur dam days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-16-2009, 06:56 PM
Administrator Emeritus

Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 6,535 Times in 3,575 Posts

Ben doesn't have any issues with gain time. 10 days a month every month.

"To thine own self be true" - William Shakespeare

He's home!!!!
Old 10-16-2009, 08:07 PM

And that's why I'm wondering if it's the facility. He never had this problem 12 years ago.

Oh and I've got the American Disabilities thing already on the run. Sent a thing to the citizen services email to get a feel. From what I have read they have used his depression to discriminate against him. Every single one of the prisons in region I which are able to take psych level 3 are controlled movement camps. This limits their ability to exercise their custody. Not being able to exercise his custody is keeping him from having it dropped. Hmm... So I'm feeling it out. If I get confirmation that his psych level is the reason his custody was not changed when reviewed this month (which Tallie says they were to do) well then. From what I have read they cannot prevent him from participating in programs based upon psych level unless they can prove it is a security risk. They can't use it as a blanket diagnosis to treat everyone the same. Seems to me that is exactly what they are doing.

So let's see if this policy can be revamped. Hate to break it to the state, but the feds trump them.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:36 AM

yes,, I want my friend to get his deserved l0 days a month gain time, he should get out in ten years if it all works out. he is a disabled man with depression. so quiet and doesn't bother anyone. i hope they are fair to him.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:10 PM

Fair? Not really. If he is taking medication he's already screwed. But I'm working on this so maybe with the time he has in he may benefit. My husband won't but I'm not fighting only for my husband. Right is right, wrong is wrong.

Old 11-12-2009, 10:40 AM

the gain time situation seems like its pretty much up to the cos, no matter how good someone is. my hubby never ges in trouble, so naturally they try to find any little thing possible- a few weeks ago they tried getting him for a shirt that was on his bed when a guard walked by- he was getting dressed. thankfully it didnt go through. now, this month they didnt give him all of his gaintime, and a couple other guys, because when it was freezing cold they had their hands under their blanket after 8am. how f'ing stupid! ugh! but unfortunately what can you do. like he tells me- dont get upset because he has more than enough time to earn all of his gaintime and then some. gotta just grin and bear it i suppose..... and the story goes on...
Old 11-16-2009, 11:45 AM
Daddy's Home 11/15/11!

So if someone has a satisfactory rating for work have had no DRs or any formal complaint, some Dorm Officer noted a security write up (I can't recall the specific name- security something) anyway, the CO told me that he doesn't see what it's about, that the dorm officer would know; that it would have been something he was possibly just counseled on....so WHY didn't he get ANY gaintime for the month at all?? It wasn't enough to get him a DR or some formal report or complaint...and he is working with no issues...and some issue that has nothing specific noted just gets you for ALL the time for the month??

Someone tried to tell me that he should have gotten at least 5 days of his time for the month if he had no infractions, and work was satisfactory. I'd call the CO but it doesn't help when I'm not sure of how things work or what anything is called. It's so depressing not to know what to complain about or what they are scewing them out of!

Last edited by KingsWifey; 11-16-2009 at 11:47 AM..
Old 11-16-2009, 05:10 PM
Administrator Emeritus

Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 6,535 Times in 3,575 Posts

He needs to file a grievance before the end of the month to find out exactly what happened or possibly speak to Dorm Sgt directly to find out what the issue is. I don't know if that would do any good or not, but would possibly keep it from happening again?

"To thine own self be true" - William Shakespeare

He's home!!!!
Old 11-16-2009, 08:08 PM

It's 4 days a month for above satisfactory or 2 for satisfactory with regards to security. Then they get 4 days a month for above satisfactory or 2 for satisfactory with regards to work. It is up to Classification to decide to give him the additional days which total 10. Getting none would mean unsatisfactory ratings for both security and work. He should file a grievance.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:16 AM
Daddy's Home 11/15/11!

I called the CO and he informed me tht he would have had to have earned above sastifactory in order to have gotten points from the security evaluation. According to him, he says that the dorm officers and work supervisors use a rating system. Any written details other than DRs would be in their hands. He does not see anything other than a rating on a point scale. So because he had simply satisfactory for work detail and the low rating for his security detail he got no time for the month whatsoever.
The CO said that he can discuss the issue with the Dorm officer who can either reverse it or if hubby isn't happy with the decision he can file a grievance which according to how he was putting it...wouldn't even be worth the trouble. What a total crock of crap!! See my hubby said what you said WifeofMichael, he said that half of his points are supposed to be based on his work rating and the other for behavior (security evals). According to the CO...this is not the case. WTH!?!

Old 11-17-2009, 04:24 PM

That is how it is done. The person is full of baloney who said otherwise.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:06 AM

My hubsband is in Charlotte C.I. and he has 10mths left until his release date. He's been complaining about not getting his full 10 days a month gain time award even thou he hasn't had any D.R.'s they give him 6 days instead. he writes grieves two to be exact n been rejected both times with no reasonable explanation. His counsler isn't to helpful. I'm thinking of calling Tallahassee on this but idk need advise from someone on this..
Old 11-18-2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXPRESS79 View Post
My hubsband is in Charlotte C.I. and he has 10mths left until his release date. He's been complaining about not getting his full 10 days a month gain time award even thou he hasn't had any D.R.'s they give him 6 days instead. he writes grieves two to be exact n been rejected both times with no reasonable explanation. His counsler isn't to helpful. I'm thinking of calling Tallahassee on this but idk need advise from someone on this..
If he is not getting his appropriate gain time he needs to file a grievance. I think it has to be filed within 30 days from the time he gets his sheet.