Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > California Institution for Men (CIM) - Chino
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Institution for Men (CIM) - Chino Topic and discussion specific to CIM- California Institution for Men, located in Chino, California.

Old 03-26-2015, 04:34 PM

Default California Institution for Men (CIM) - Chino Reception Q&A

Hi. This is my first post here. My best friend is currently at County and awaiting transfer to Chino. He's heard some horror stories about reception. Can anyone give me any insight into the reception experience and what he can expect? Also, he's heard that he cannot accept visitors during that time, however, the Dept of Corrections website states that inmates in reception are allowed non-contact visits by appointment. Can you offer insights on that also?

I looked through several pages on the forum and didn't see anything on this topic. My apologies if this information is already posted somewhere.

Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2015, 01:17 AM

I did more digging and found a thread that deals with the reception process. Thanks anyway.
Old 04-12-2015, 02:42 AM

Default Reception at Chino is hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by elephant1 View Post
I did more digging and found a thread that deals with the reception process. Thanks anyway.

My husband has been in Reception there since 1/22/15 It took a month before he was able to send visitors forms to the family then he wasn't aware he had to sign it first or it is no good because it goes back to the visiting sargent not him once we fill it out. It took 35 days for him to get mail from me. He has been in Ad Seg as overflow because the regular reception areas were full. His letters had me thinking he was ready to kill himself and he is a tuff man full of pride.
So its april and my visitors form hasn't been approved yet. I was getting letters 3 times a week from him and i havent gotten a single one in 8 days. I don't know whats going on.He gets 1 hour a week of out side in the sun and sometimes they take it away if some thing goes down in any area of the prison. he is lucky to get 2 showers a week. store once a month and he never knows ahead of time when he will get it. Cold water showers most of the time and it takes weeks to meet your counselor and the only reason he finally met his was cause I called the wardens office because I was so worried about him and hes been in there to long thinking I forgot about him and he was not loved and forgotten by all his family cause mail is so slow.
I was lucky to finally get through after trying for weeks. I now know who his counselor is. I am waiting for a letter from my Dr saying I am to sick to travel that far and I am putting in a request for hardship and try to get him back down to SanDiego. I am just really worried right now cause I havent heard from him and I was in the hospital and he doesn't know I am home.
hope your friend has better luck than we are having. this has been so hard on both of us.
Old 04-12-2015, 07:15 AM

I wish you well in that endeavor. However just be aware that hardship transfers do not need to be granted. I know because 2 years ago I got diagnosed with Polyps that turned out to be cancerous. I requests my love to be returned to San Diego as well. But no dice. They didn't want to hear anything
The Following User Says Thank You to maniacswifey619 For This Useful Post:
Mitoswife (04-12-2015)
Old 04-12-2015, 11:05 PM

Default Sorry I do hope you are doing well now.

I am putting in for the hardship because My husbands counselor suggested I do so. I think maybe because He wants to go to fire camp and only has 5 years, there might be a chance they will let him be in SD well I pray so.
I still haven't heard from him. this is the longest its been that I haven't gotten even a letter. this is so hard. I am having a real hard time dealing with the distance. I know you all are too.
Old 06-19-2015, 05:52 PM

Default Worried sick

I can totally relate. My man is going tgrough the exact same thing in reception. No mail, I even put money on his books but he isn't even aware its there. He thinks I have left him to thewolves which I haven't. Can I get the wardens Name and address where I can write to him and tell him I am worried sick about my old man. I don't even know who his counselor is. Any help would be much appreciated. thx
Old 04-03-2016, 03:32 PM

Default Jpay while in reception at Chino?

My husband is in Reception at Chino and I sent him money through JPay on Mar 12th. I got a letter from him dated Mar 26th and he said that he never got a receipt telling him that he has money. Does it usually take a long time for them to get it? I was under the impression that he would get a receipt in like 3 days after sending the funds. Does anybody know?
Old 04-04-2016, 11:21 AM

I have sent money to inmates in reception (California state prisons) and they had the money very quickly.

I suggest that you check you Jpay account and make sure that the transaction actually went through. You should be able to see it in your transaction history.

It is possible that there was a simple breakdown in getting the message to him that the money was there. Have him just try using it.

R. Mc.
The Following User Says Thank You to rmc50 For This Useful Post:
iamcol (04-04-2016)
Old 04-04-2016, 09:46 PM

I checked jpay online and it said it was sent. I'll tell him to try and use it. Thank you so much for the advice. I really appreciate it!
Old 05-27-2016, 03:52 PM

Smile JPay

So you can JPay someone in receptions? Do you have a waiting period or limit on the amount? Does it go through quickly? Thanks
Old 05-28-2016, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy 17 View Post
So you can JPay someone in receptions? Do you have a waiting period or limit on the amount? Does it go through quickly? Thanks
Yep you can send them JPay. Depending on what day you send it they'll get it in 1-3 days. I had to call the trust fund office to make sure that it was in his account. It was there but they just forgot to give him a receipt telling him he had money.
Old 08-27-2016, 06:32 AM

My son just got to reception...I am not sure if I can write to him?
Can I send him paper and envelopes in reception?
He had funds while in jail wondering how long does it take for his funds to be available? Can he order from commissary while in reception?
Old 08-27-2016, 01:01 PM

Where is he at ??and yes u can visit while in reception, my fiance just got transferred from wasco and ya there alot of fighting going on in there
Old 08-28-2016, 09:28 AM

He is at CIM. I guess I should have been more clear....I was referring to contact visits. That is not until he is out of reception right?
Can he use the funds he has for food etc while in reception? I tried to call yesterday and although I tried all options NO ONE ever answered the phones.
Old 08-29-2016, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellcatsrt View Post
My son just got to reception...I am not sure if I can write to him?
Can I send him paper and envelopes in reception?
He had funds while in jail wondering how long does it take for his funds to be available? Can he order from commissary while in reception?
Sorry I haven't been on here for a while. I hope I am doing this right.
When my husband was in reception at CIM it was hell! Pure torture for the both of us. He couldn't call me but he could write. I was able to send him stamps, envelopes n paper. It took a month for him to get my priority mailed package. He didn't get a single letter from me until like day 33 in reception. I got his letters almost daily. He thought I wasn't writing him he thought I didn't love him anymore. I called daily with no answer, no help. It took almost a year to be approved to visit him once he was moved to another prison. Ultimately I pressed an option on the phone for the media or public relations and I got the wardens office. A girl there was able to give me the name and extension to my husbands counselor. I called several times and left messages. Finally I said I was afraid for my husbands life because of what his letters entail and I'm going to hire a lawyer to visit him and make sure he's well and knows I'm still alive and I love him. I was very ill at the time.
Anyhow I got a call back from his counselor with in the hour and he had my husband in his office. I was able to speak to him for about 2 minutes but it was the best 2 minutes I'd had in 3 months. My husband was in reception for 5 months no visits at all because CIM messed up the paperwork. Make sure you tell your son to sign any visitors forms before he sends them to you or it will be denied. I pray your transition is much easier than mine. Mail was backed up from Christmas and then again because of Valentine's Day. I wrote every day I sent paper and envelope once a week never knowing when or if he would get it. If I remember correctly while in reception you can send 20 envelopes a book of 20 stamps and a pad of paper 50 pages legal and remove the cardboard backing or they may send it back to you or trash it. Do not send pens or pencils they have them there. I sent a package like that every week or 2. He wrote me a lot. I hated knowing he wouldn't hear back from me for weeks if not months.
I will sent positive thought and energy your way and I pray CIM has improved their mailing and visiting system.
Much ❤️ To you and your family!
Sincerely
Dee Faddis
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mitoswife For This Useful Post:
Byondmycntrl (09-04-2017), hellcatsrt (08-29-2016)
Old 09-02-2016, 04:56 PM

Angry

Does anyone know how long it takes for funds that were in my son's jail account to be transferred to his account at CIM?
He says he was told 45 days...seriously that long??

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamcol View Post
Yep you can send them JPay. Depending on what day you send it they'll get it in 1-3 days. I had to call the trust fund office to make sure that it was in his account. It was there but they just forgot to give him a receipt telling him he had money.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:34 PM

Default California Institute for Men reception questions

Hello everyone,
So I am very new to all this. My brother just got transferred to Chino. I know he was saying he is going to be in reception for a couple weeks. My understanding of this is he won't be able to contact us expect by mail? Is that correct? But also, does any of the money on his books from county transfer with him? Sorry for all the questions but like I said I am very new to all this and it saddens me I haven't heard from him since he has been transferred. Any help is much appreciated. Thank you!
Old 02-28-2017, 09:29 AM
Soy Su Mil~Colores ❤️

Thanked 1,279 Times in 791 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABBCL View Post
Hello everyone,
So I am very new to all this. My brother just got transferred to Chino. I know he was saying he is going to be in reception for a couple weeks. My understanding of this is he won't be able to contact us expect by mail? Is that correct? But also, does any of the money on his books from county transfer with him? Sorry for all the questions but like I said I am very new to all this and it saddens me I haven't heard from him since he has been transferred. Any help is much appreciated. Thank you!

That is correct, while in reception no phone calls. You solely rely on USPO.

The money on his books will transfer with him. I'm not certain about the books, they are allowed, I just can't recall if they transfer with him. I'm assuming they do.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by Nica; 02-28-2017 at 09:32 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Nica For This Useful Post:
ABBCL (02-28-2017)
Old 02-28-2017, 12:48 PM

He will be lucky if it is only a couple of weeks. It could easily be months.

Mail is the only assured means of communication. I had a penpal that was in reception for quite a while and managed to get a job, which then allowed them to have an occasional phone call. But jobs are very hard to come by, and that policy was unwritten and likely varies from one facility to another.

California prisons allow you to send stationary supplies to the inmate directly so I recommend that you do that. You can send up to two books of stamps, and I believe the limits are 20 envelopes and 200 sheets of paper. But there is also a 1 pound limit on any enevelope (and it must be an envelope, not a box) so I recommend sending a much smaller amount.

I recommend that you send him some stationary right away and put a small amount of money on his account so he can get other necessary items. Once you establish contact via mail you may want to start the process of getting approved for visitation. He needs to obtain the proper form, fill out his section and then mail it to you. You fill out your section and mail it back to the address indicated (NOT back to him). Expect the process to take a couple of months. When you are approved they will notify him, and he will then notify you.

R. Mc.
The Following User Says Thank You to rmc50 For This Useful Post:
ABBCL (02-28-2017)
Old 02-28-2017, 08:53 PM

Thank you both so much for the replies. Everything has been very helpful. If there is anything else you can fill a newbie in on please let me know! I am worried about my brother, as to I haven't spoke to him in awhile. Just hearing from others that know about this situation helps put me at ease.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:10 PM
Soy Su Mil~Colores ❤️

Thanked 1,279 Times in 791 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABBCL View Post
Thank you both so much for the replies. Everything has been very helpful. If there is anything else you can fill a newbie in on please let me know! I am worried about my brother, as to I haven't spoke to him in awhile. Just hearing from others that know about this situation helps put me at ease.

We've all been there. It's nerve racking to say the least. Reception time can be long. All I can say is write and write. Letters can take up to 14 days before it gets into his hands, in turn around you may have yours within 72 hours.

While in reception, you can send him soft covered paperbacks, directly from an approved vendor like Amazon. If he's into crosswords you can send those as well. It will help him with passing the time.

Hang in there and Pray. God Bless.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:55 PM

Hi I'm new here. My bf just got sentenced to 16 months and his public defender told me he will be going to CIM for reception. However I'm kind of confused he said he may not be going there until June and since he's supposed to be out in 8 months w good time (End of November) is there a possibility he may just finish his sentence (June-November considering he behaves) in CIM? I read that it takes a lot of time for people to get a bed at one of the prisons and reception at CIM can take like 4 months so 4 months for him would already be October so I guess I'm just confused. Bc that means that all that time in reception he can't make calls and can't get visits right....? Sorry if I'm just rambling I'm new to this and I'm just trying to find answers.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:17 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 28,528 Times in 14,379 Posts

It all depends.
If he's still in county as of now, make sure he knows that the min he gets to reception he should grab a visitors application and get it sent to you.
Make sure he has some money on the books right away so he can sent it.
Reception stinks. And yes, all visits are non contact, and he most likely will not be able to call.
The visit app takes a while to get approved, so......yeah, fill it out right away. Leave nothing out on it.(any police contact....make sure any outstanding tickets you may have are paid in full)
As to if he spends all his time in reception remains to be seen. It just depends on if they have a bed/yard for him to be put in.
If you do get approved to visit, and he does get mainlined.....your approval will still be good at whatever prison he ends up in.

That's my dog's nose art

Old 04-17-2017, 04:15 AM

Oh my gosh, I didn't think anybody would reply I've been going crazy looking for answers. Thank you so so much for your response!!
I've been trying to get in contact with his PD but I'm sure he's busy to answer me or reply to my emails. Perhaps somebody here can help me with my question.
From my understanding and what the public defender told his family and I was that he would be sentenced to 16 months at 50% for good conduct.
He's in county right now and his sentencing hearing is not until the first week of May. The PD said he would most likely stay in county for 1 or 2 months then head to Chino for reception. By that time he would have 5 months left to serve so he will most likely serve his sentence in reception. I'm confused about the "good time" credits. Do inmates receive 1/2 credits during reception, after sentencing, and while waiting for their sentencing hearing?
His family and I are trying to calculate a release date for 8 months since that's what the public defender told us. He got picked up March 24 so we thought November 24. Is that correct? Or does reception and after sentencing not count as 1/2 time ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewalker View Post
It all depends.
If he's still in county as of now, make sure he knows that the min he gets to reception he should grab a visitors application and get it sent to you.
Make sure he has some money on the books right away so he can sent it.
Reception stinks. And yes, all visits are non contact, and he most likely will not be able to call.
The visit app takes a while to get approved, so......yeah, fill it out right away. Leave nothing out on it.(any police contact....make sure any outstanding tickets you may have are paid in full)
As to if he spends all his time in reception remains to be seen. It just depends on if they have a bed/yard for him to be put in.
If you do get approved to visit, and he does get mainlined.....your approval will still be good at whatever prison he ends up in.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:44 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 28,528 Times in 14,379 Posts

Im horrible at trying to figure out times.
If he is to serve 50% of whatever time he is sentenced to.......that is his good time credit.
I also forget what they are credited while in county jail awaiting sentencing.
(is it day for day?)

Im sorry Im not more helpful........at some point he will be seeing his *counselor* who will give him a date. (dont take that date for a solid release date but it will be close) As it gets closer........they review and may give a day or two more or less.

Hopefully someone who is better at figuring out times will come along and help out with figuring.
Sorry your here, but glad you found us!

That's my dog's nose art