Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to the Federal Prison & the Criminal Justice System that do not fit into any other Federal sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 09-10-2016, 07:02 PM

Default Arraignment coming up soon.

I figured the time has come to finally make an introduction, so here I go. I just want to say this forum has been an amazing resource and has helped tremendously in coping with the anxiety associated with being under federal investigation. I won't get into the specifics of my case at this time until it has come to a resolution except that I'm being accused of a non contact SO crime and it all started in late 2013 and wasn't charged until very recently. My life in between that time has been as normal as it could be but not a minute has gone by where I wasn't fully aware that this has been hanging over my head. Would love to hear from others that are just going through or have just gone through this "limbo".
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2016, 08:20 PM

The fear of pending litigation is frankly, horrendous. I've gone through some horrible stuff in my life and the fear and anxiety produced by pending litigation is unmatched. Honestly, I still suffer from paranoia and anxiety related to it, and my case has been resolved by the USAO. I go through life very scared and nervous of LE. Being arrested was very traumatic along with it.

What my attorney told me, and what I tell others is that it rarely ends as badly as it looks on day 1. At least for me, it looked really bad on day one, especially when you're hauled into the courtroom by US Marshals after having been arrested at 6AM at your house by double digit federal agents and sitting in a cell with leg irons and a belly chain. When you get brought into that court room with 20 pounds of chains on you, hands, belly and legs, you are generally at your lowest moment. I was.

Just take it one step at a time. Don't give into your raw emotions and DO NOT talk to the police. I cannot stress that enough, and I can tell you that the investigator in charge of my investigation hated me and my attorneys. I don't doubt that my silence had a lot to do with it. Even when they came in to arrest me in large numbers, I never said any other words except "I want a lawyer."

Get a good attorney, don't talk to anyone except him/her and take it as it comes. It'll be alright.
The Following User Says Thank You to de8er For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (09-11-2016)
Old 09-11-2016, 02:17 AM
Je ne regrette rien
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,460 Times in 746 Posts

Welcome to PTO and so good to hear that our community has been helpful to you - keep reading! Others have been in your shoes and that alone can bring some comfort; keep your head up and try to stay positive
Old 09-11-2016, 06:06 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 16,443 Times in 9,948 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk and to the federal forums. Much can change between now and when your case is finalized, so hopefully your lawyer will be able to negotiate a lenient sentence. Be sure to check the Loving a SO forum for information from other folks who have also served federal prison, and supervised release sentences for non contact sex crimes.
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=101
Old 09-14-2016, 02:34 PM

Thanks everyone for the advice and encouragement. As if things could not be more stressful for my family and I, another member of the family was just recently arrested and now facing a misdemeanor charge. As they say "when it rains, it pours". Tomorrow is my arraignment and due to the nature of the charges I will more than likely be forbidden to use the Internet for the foreseeable future so I will pass on control of the account to a third party as to inform my progress on the case. Again, thanks to all to those who contribute.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goinawaysoon For This Useful Post:
de8er (09-14-2016), fbopnomore (09-14-2016)
Old 12-21-2016, 07:56 PM

So, had my sentencing yesterday, 70 months with 5 years supervision plus 25 years on the registry. While I don't have an exact date yet of voluntary surrender my best guess is late January or early February. I was originally expecting 78-97 months as per the guidelines and to top it off the prosecutor was pushing real hard for lifetime supervision. I was especially lucky because this judge is not known to deviate below the guidelines and usually sentences defendants to the high end of a guideline range. More then anything I'm glad this phase is over with. The not knowing what would happen for 3 years was far worse and despite the sentence there is a sense of peace and closure.
The Following User Says Thank You to goinawaysoon For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (12-22-2016)
Old 12-22-2016, 05:37 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 16,443 Times in 9,948 Posts

I'm glad you avoided lifetime supervised release, and you were sentenced to less than the maximum prison time. Self surrender is also a huge benefit as long as you can avoid being transported to your designated prison by the US Marshals. SS lowers your custody points, but since you will be given a "public safety factor" by the bop, you won't ever be assigned to anything less than a FCI Low security prison.

My advice, read everything posted by the federal public defenders about the bop's SO Management program, and their civil commitment policy.
https://www.fd.org/navigation/select...-sex-offenders
https://www.fd.org/navigation/select...r-sex-offenses

Only the initial SOMP risk assessment is mandatory, everything else is "voluntary" so you can definitely say no to anything they propose. Be sure to understand the 2007 supplements written by lawyer Amy Baron Evans about the traps set by the bop "therapists" that resulted in a large number of inmates who did not meet the legal requirements for civil commitment being sent there anyway after they completed their entire prison sentences.
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/...ned/53621210/1
Old 01-04-2017, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goinawaysoon View Post
So, had my sentencing yesterday, 70 months with 5 years supervision plus 25 years on the registry. While I don't have an exact date yet of voluntary surrender my best guess is late January or early February. I was originally expecting 78-97 months as per the guidelines and to top it off the prosecutor was pushing real hard for lifetime supervision. I was especially lucky because this judge is not known to deviate below the guidelines and usually sentences defendants to the high end of a guideline range. More then anything I'm glad this phase is over with. The not knowing what would happen for 3 years was far worse and despite the sentence there is a sense of peace and closure.
It may seem like a ton of time, but 70 months is very doable, and 5 years supervised release is a big win compared to lifetime. You should end up at a FCI Low, and I think you'll find the Fed system a relatively safe place for SO offenders. Read up as much as possible on basics of prison etiquette, and advice relating to self surrender. Once in, educate yourself by watching and learning from how other inmates interact. As to others asking about your charges, keep in mind that it's a rude thing to ask, and that you won't escape others assuming that your charges are SO related if you don't provide specifics. Best approach is to react with a little surprise when someone asks, and be prepared with a vague response, like, "I screwed up like everybody else" and leave it at that. Just don't offer up facts, or a lie, and you'll learn to handle such questions, and they'll come up less often once you're no longer the new guy on the compound. Stay strong, hold your head high, and be humble, and yourself. You'll be fine!
The Following User Says Thank You to Free At Last 5 For This Useful Post:
goinawaysoon (01-04-2017)
Old 01-04-2017, 01:13 PM

Thank you for the advice and words of encouragement. My plan is like you suggested, is to just lay low and observe when I get in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free At Last 5 View Post
It may seem like a ton of time, but 70 months is very doable, and 5 years supervised release is a big win compared to lifetime. You should end up at a FCI Low, and I think you'll find the Fed system a relatively safe place for SO offenders. Read up as much as possible on basics of prison etiquette, and advice relating to self surrender. Once in, educate yourself by watching and learning from how other inmates interact. As to others asking about your charges, keep in mind that it's a rude thing to ask, and that you won't escape others assuming that your charges are SO related if you don't provide specifics. Best approach is to react with a little surprise when someone asks, and be prepared with a vague response, like, "I screwed up like everybody else" and leave it at that. Just don't offer up facts, or a lie, and you'll learn to handle such questions, and they'll come up less often once you're no longer the new guy on the compound. Stay strong, hold your head high, and be humble, and yourself. You'll be fine!
Old 01-04-2017, 01:47 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free At Last 5 View Post
Hopefully, you'll get email access through Trulincs, which allows family and friends a much better way to stay in touch. Get funds on account as quickly as possible, and bring some money with you too, as many prisons will put that on your account immediately. One self surrender tip I haven't seen in the forum before: You can use the BOP Inmat Locator to see when you get entered into the system (You'll show up as "in transit"), which will give you your inmate number, and possibly a heads up that your designation letter is on the way. You've done the hardest part of the time already. Best of luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to Free At Last 5 For This Useful Post:
goinawaysoon (01-04-2017)