Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > Continuing and Adult Education
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Continuing and Adult Education Discuss college and continuing education.

Old 07-29-2005, 02:24 PM
~Washington JustGirls~

Question Any attorneys or people who have attended law school here?

I have always wanted to be an attorney, but ended up getting married and having twins right out of college after completing my Bachelor's Degree... Now, twice divorced, 12-year-old twins and working at a job that although it pays my bills (barely), I have no future in it and no retirement, etc.. I have had kids my whole adult life and I now feel ready to work on my career, establish something for my future...

I have a wonderful man in my life now and he says that he wants to help me fulfill my dreams of being an attorney.. BUT.. I'm scared.. I don't even know what to expect of law school or if I could even get accepted. I am going to get the LSAT Study Guide book from the library today to see what the test consists of.. I am basically just looking to see if anyone here has any experience with this, it is doable working a part-time job and raising kids?? Any advice or information is greatly appreciated!!!
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2005, 02:48 PM
Banned

It's doable - I did it. It cost me a little over 100K in student loans, and it took years! Your family suffers, I can't tell you how many times I missed my kids functions because I had to be in class or study.

Law school is no joke. It takes a lot of hard work. It is traumatic, I've been brought to tears by professors. It is highly competitive, and cut-throat. I have seen peoples laptops and notes stolen before finals... It is a huge time committment. I am very bright, and didn't have to put in 1/2 of the time other students did, and I still spent at least 4 hours out of class for every hour in class studying.

Getting in was no problem for me, I did very well on the LSAT. Be sure the school you go to is ABA - and not just state accredited. You need to be sure that you want it more then life, in retrospect, if given the choice again, I can honestly say that I am not sure that I would do it again.

Don't get me wrong, being on the other side is good so far, but the money isn't ALL THAT, and if you thought you were a work horse in school - wait till you're an associate.

I went in loving the law - the constitution, believeing in the system. I came out knowing that the system is flawed at best, and what I learned in school is nothing like what really happens out here. I went in with hopes to change the world, and now I know that I will never be able to do that. The best I can do is "mitigate the damage".

I hope this helps.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:55 PM
~Washington JustGirls~

Thank you for the info!!! Did you have a big lapse in time between graduating with your undergraduate degree and going to law school?? I got my BA in 1991, and didn't apply myself all that well in college so only had a 2.5 gpa. Do you think that would be an issue for me getting accepted??
Old 07-29-2005, 05:09 PM
Banned

I took 1 semester at a J.C. out of high school - then went back and got my AA, then my Bachelors at University of Phoenix. I was accepted to law school while still enrolled in undergrad with a class to go. I did well in school and came in with a 3.2 gpa, but it was from a "less respected" school. I got a 156 on the LSAT, good, but not USC good. I was accepted to all three ABA accredited law schools that were close to my house, and overall I think I chose the right one.

So - to answer your question, your 2.5 will be a bit of a challenge, but not insurmountable. I guess it all depends on what school you want to go to. I was lucky - there are lots of law schools around me. But if the only school close to you is a tier 2 or better, you will have problems.

I am in chat all the time, if you want to stop by and pick my brain some more. I love sharing my experience, for good or bad - it made an impression.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:48 PM
Banned

I am not in law school, but I am studying in the legal field. I am getting my paralegal degree, and Marc and I have talked about me going to law school one day. I eventually want to do that, but right now is just not the time, because law school really takes 100% of your focus.....
So maybe after he comes home, starts his business, and we get financially settled, I will go...but not any time soon!!
~Katie
Old 09-02-2005, 02:41 PM
~Washington JustGirls~

Katie, I would say if you want to do it to do it before you have kids (don't think you have kids yet)... My boyfriend and I discussed this again last night.. I want to do it but I am scared to start and then be too overwhelmed.. plus, I feel too old.. I will be 37 next month... I wish I would have just gone right after college...
Old 09-02-2005, 07:14 PM
Very Much Missed Administrator
Donation Award 

Don't let age deter you! I STARTED college classes at 54!
But they all get along and
EVERYONE is happy!

R.I.P. Sally! This Dragon is Flying High Again.. WE LOVE YOU & Will Never Forget!
Old 09-02-2005, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustLisa
I am going to get the LSAT Study Guide book from the library today to see what the test consists of.. I am basically just looking to see if anyone here has any experience with this, it is doable working a part-time job and raising kids?? Any advice or information is greatly appreciated!!!
I prepped for the LSAT with a couple of books from Borders and a sample test from the LSAC website; did a few practice tests at the dining room table using the stove timer ... Scored 163 (90th percentile) my first try, after routinely scoring in the low 150s on the practice tests.

Did law school at an ABA-approved evening program while working full time; one girl in my class was pregnant and gave birth *twice* during our 4 year evening program, and graduated with us...

I'm currently working at a 300 lawyer national "white shoe" firm. So it's definitely possible!
The Following User Says Thank You to Strasse For This Useful Post:
preciousjewel (02-22-2018)
Old 09-06-2005, 03:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustLisa
Katie, I would say if you want to do it to do it before you have kids (don't think you have kids yet)... My boyfriend and I discussed this again last night.. I want to do it but I am scared to start and then be too overwhelmed.. plus, I feel too old.. I will be 37 next month... I wish I would have just gone right after college...

Thanks Lisa...actually, I want to wait until later in life...Marc will be home in a few years and we have so much we want to do....and law school is SO tough, I don't want to have to spend all my time on it, and none on him! So, I think later in life, if at all, will be the best time for me!
Knowing me, I will put it off until my 50s!
~Katie
Old 01-04-2006, 10:18 PM

I'm contemplating law school. It was nice to see others thoughts. I only have a few days to do the late registration for the February LSAT. I need to pick up a study guide quickly and see if it's realistic to be prepared in a few weeks.
Old 02-22-2018, 02:51 AM
Banned

I will be a part of law school very soon as I have started my LSAT Prep and I am studying very hard to score well and get into one of the best law schools possible. I want to be a successful lawyer and I am very positive this time that I will clear my exams with flying colors.