Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MISSOURI > Missouri Prison & Criminal Justice News, Legislation & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Missouri Prison & Criminal Justice News, Legislation & Events Current news items and information on events related to the Missouri prison system.

Old 06-28-2003, 07:30 PM
PTO Research Assistant

Default Holden signs bill to reduce prison crowding

The article is in the Kansas City Star on page B1. I will write some of what it says.

Law shortens sentences for some crimes.
by Joe Lambe

"Missouri Gov. Bob Holden's signature Friday on a sweeping crime bill immediately changed sentencing laws to combat prison overcrowding and reduce state costs.

Many nonviolent offenders with no significant prior prison time now have the right to ask for release after 120 days. Offenders also can far more easily walk free after four months of prison substance abuse treatment.

The new law also reduced the penalties for felony drunken driving and other crimes, and will give juries in some criminal cases additional sentencing responsibilities."

That's just a portion of the article. I thought some of you might be interested in knowing this. If you would like for me to type more of it then let me know. But the main point in that the bill has been signed that may reduce the amount of time our loved ones will be away from us. This is good.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2003, 08:36 PM

when does this bill go into effect i heard august 28th this year does it say ?
Old 06-29-2003, 12:36 AM
PTO Research Assistant

It say immediately. The first sentence says,

"Missouri Gov. Bob Holden's signature Friday on a sweeping crime bill IMMEDIATELY changed sentencing laws to combat prison overcrowding and reduce state costs"
Old 06-29-2003, 09:37 AM

Is there anything in there about those that have a mandatory 85% to be served? Suppoesdly sometime in August it is to be lowered to 65% ... but I have seen no proof yet! At least this is a step in the right direction.
Old 06-30-2003, 09:13 PM

also read the last paragraph of the article. THOSE already charged are going to have a hard time getting their time reduced, IE... 5years for a D felony to 4 years, etc.
Old 06-30-2003, 10:08 PM
PTO Research Assistant

Delymi, where did you find the article? Mine came from the Kansas City Star and doesn't say anything like that. The last paragraph in this article says,

"But the new jury requirement will needlessly force jurors to serve longer, add to court costs, and doubles the opportunity for trial error, Roberts said.

Here's a link to the article

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansas...ws/6188811.htm