Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > VIRGINIA > Virginia Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Virginia Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Virginia Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc

Old 01-17-2009, 09:56 PM

Default GTL calls my phone & says LOCAL 123 is not allowed?

I have been having repeated problems with calls going through. My husband has been calling and calling, but no ringing on my end. I reported the problem yesterday. Today, GTL calls me to tell me that b/c I have Local 123 that my calls will be blocked. Because local 123 allows call forwarding, and my address does not match my local123 phone number. This is so crazy! I faxed them my confirmation letter from local 123 10 months ago and have had no problems up until today. Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks!

For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. I will be found by you," declares the LORD, "and will bring you back from captivity. Jeremiah 29:11, 14

Last edited by mrsjma32; 01-17-2009 at 09:58 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2009, 10:48 PM
Goin' Down Swingin'

OMG...I'm having a problem too.

The past two days he has been trying to call, and all he gets is a quick busy signal, and it does not ring in my house at all. He can call his mother o.k. (she doesn't have a special local #), but not me. My number is working because I've called it from my cell and GTL called me back on it today. They asked who my local company was (I use one different from Local123, but same concept), and then after a long hold, they confirmed that the calls were not going through, but that they would have to send a repair request to the technicians. That probably means they're going to investigate me.... Yikes...just my stinkin' luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to tictoctictoc For This Useful Post:
mrsjma32 (01-18-2009)
Old 01-18-2009, 07:21 AM

be very careful guys, your inmate can get a charge if they know you are using forwarding. not sure how they would prove that the inmate knows hat you are doing. so inmates shoulnt know if you get what i mean.!!!

YOU NEVER KNOW HOW STRONG YOU ARE UNTIL BEING STRONG IS THE ONLY CHOICE YOU HAVE

Hebrews 13:3 - Remember those in prison as if you were their fellow prisoners, and those who are mistreated as if you yourselves were suffering.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:43 PM
Goin' Down Swingin'

Default Omg

Still nothing new on this end, but I am getting wind of a couple of others in VA who use vumber or local123 not being able to receive calls for a few days now.

So, my question is: IS ANYONE IN VIRGINIA CURRENTLY ABLE TO RECEIVE CALLS via VUMBER OR LOCAL123??????

Please let us know!!

I'm about to be devastated!!!!!!!!!!

mrsjma32 (01-18-2009)
Old 01-18-2009, 07:55 PM
waiting for my heart

There starting those investigations in ohio as well. Not getting their pound of flesh so they are getting mad.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:57 PM
Always Doin' My Best
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,937 Times in 1,168 Posts

I think above all, the cost of phone calls is by far the most maddening thing that DOC does to us. I can a lot of other things, but that phone is the most frustrating thing!!

The Following User Says Thank You to dwfighterva For This Useful Post:
mrsjma32 (01-18-2009)
Old 01-18-2009, 09:17 PM
with love to him

The cost of calls is our punishment for having loved ones in prison.
The Following User Says Thank You to sue21 For This Useful Post:
mrsjma32 (01-18-2009)
Old 01-18-2009, 11:18 PM

tictoctictoc: I feel ur pain, of course. I have not spoken with anyone else from GTL, b/c I need a few days to clear my head. I have yet to receive any calls. I have contacted Local123, but that can take days at times. I definitely would not contact GTL if I were u. Just wait it out. B/c I spoke with a rep and she was laid back and told me to wait. I called back and the other rep was ALL in my call history and wanted toooooo much info. I disconnected, but she called me back and was all on me. So, I am giving it a few days and will call back once I am happier. So good luck and maybe patience will work in ur favor. Thanks for replying!

For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. I will be found by you," declares the LORD, "and will bring you back from captivity. Jeremiah 29:11, 14
Old 01-18-2009, 11:48 PM

I'm also having problems with the phones this week-end. D hasn't been able to call since Friday morning. I called GTL today and a guy said he knew I was using a Local number because I have a PA address and VA phone number. He said it was illegal to use this company, I told him no one told me it was illegal and that no one at GTL had ever questioned it and I always give them my PA address. He said he wasn't going to report it but that D could get into trouble for me using it and that I should be very careful. I have been using this number since Sept. He told me he could tell that D had been trying to call quite a few times in the last couple of days and that I should try to get word to him to have a counselor or building CO put in a request to have the phones in the institution checked. Now I'm really worried about this whole phone thing. Calls are $13.00 for 20 minutes to here and since I have no visiting privileges until July 2009 (hopefully) I'm starting to panic. Hopefully all this mess is with Local and not something none of us want to happen.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:19 PM

im hearing from others with local. no calls since friday from green rock. local number appears to be working so i wander if gtl did something to the system that local system cant support. and they must know it or why would they tell you you are using local 123 because of a pa address? that is a stab in the dark considering all the other companys out there you could be with.
the only way they would know is if you told them or they tricked you into telling them.

YOU NEVER KNOW HOW STRONG YOU ARE UNTIL BEING STRONG IS THE ONLY CHOICE YOU HAVE

Hebrews 13:3 - Remember those in prison as if you were their fellow prisoners, and those who are mistreated as if you yourselves were suffering.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:21 PM
his forever
Donation Award 

i haven't been able to get calls all weekend either and I have local123. I can call my number from my cell and it works but not from the facility. I did email local123. hopefully i'll hear back something soon

Old 01-19-2009, 09:44 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by harasubam View Post
im hearing from others with local. no calls since friday from green rock. local number appears to be working so i wander if gtl did something to the system that local system cant support. and they must know it or why would they tell you you are using local 123 because of a pa address? that is a stab in the dark considering all the other companys out there you could be with.
the only way they would know is if you told them or they tricked you into telling them.
I agree with u, because when I called the second time the GTL rep looked up my number and was like, "Your phone is not working because you have local123." I was surprised. I have yet to receive a call either from Lawrenceville, I e-mailed local123, as usual they r slow. I hate it that we all are going through this, it' s hard not being able to talk. I hope that we figure something out soon. I'm glad that we have this site to communicate and share our experiences. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:16 PM
Goin' Down Swingin'

Hey Guys....thanks for following up.....I still haven't received a call either. I'm surprised there is nothing on the main prison forum about this (at least not from what I've seen). Sounds like its only in VA.....and only PTO Girls ...Yikes!

Has anybody called GTL again? I've been too scared to myself. The last rep told me she'd put in a 'work order' for the techncial dept to look at it (that was on Sat), and I'm hoping that they may get to it tomorrow.....

If anybody receives a "local" call, PLEASE LET US ALL KNOW!!! I need to at least have HOPE that it will work again!

Old 01-20-2009, 07:30 AM

Still no calls with Local 123, when I talked to GTL the man said he knew I was using a local company because I had a PA address. When he asked what company I used I told him Embark. He said Embark was a call forwarding company and aren't they a local phone company? Well the holiday is over so may the situation will resolve itself.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:14 AM
Goin' Down Swingin'

I just heard from a friend that Vonage and Embarq are not receiving calls either....! What's up with that?!?!?!

Old 01-20-2009, 11:07 AM
his forever
Donation Award 

Well I finally got back an email from local123 saying there was nothing wrong and that I needed to contact GTL. My honey doesn't get the message that its blocked. The phone just doesn't ring. Whatever happened...if they can't fix it, they need to start sending out some refunds.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrsadams For This Useful Post:
mrsjma32 (01-20-2009), tictoctictoc (01-20-2009)
Old 01-20-2009, 11:57 AM

Good luck with contacting GTL. I contacted them last night and the rep. told me that it's saying I can't receive collect calls on that number (which I have been since February of last year and thought that was the whole reason I had to prepay). I contacted GTL on Saturday and was told that my bf was hanging up before the call would go through. My honey has told me that he gets a busy signal or the "your party did not respond message" when he trys to call. If it were GTL then you would think it would tell them that there is a block on the line. Somebody has changed something somewhere for Vumber, Local 123, etc. to be down all at the same time. It also appears to be just within VA as I have been checking the general forum for prison phones.

The Following User Says Thank You to Tenn's Girl For This Useful Post:
mrsjma32 (01-20-2009)
Old 01-20-2009, 01:40 PM
Goin' Down Swingin'

Default argh

Well I got up the nerve to call this afternoon. The rep did not ask me any questions (other than my name and passcode), and when she checked my call history she determined that the failed attempts were coded as "inmate hang up". She actually tried to convince me that he is not giving it time to go through, and hanging up too soon, even though I explained to her that he only hears a quick busy signal.....and that it never even rings on my end! She said "there is no reason why you should not be receiving calls" and confirmed that I had over $50 on my account for pre-pays. She said all of the calls are "approved" and she is NOT seeing a "block" anywhere on my account. I asked her what I should do, and she told me there is nothing I can do. She suggested that the problem is probably with the actual phones in the institution, but I did not inform her that its happening with nearly ALL of the institutions.....! She said the inmate would have to put in a repair request on the phone they are using and GTL techs would check it out. We all know that's not the problem though! Anyway, I played it off and dropped it there so as not to arouse any suspicions.....

Anyone else with GTL stories regarding this??!?!?! They service MILLIONS of people, so I doubt this is high priority on their list!

Tenn's Girl (01-20-2009)
Old 01-20-2009, 02:36 PM
Always Doin' My Best
Donation Award 

I hate to say this but I am guessing DOC installed something on the phones that trips something and all these forwarded numbers are flagged and blocked. I had the worst time getting Vonage to activate and finally gave up. These VOIP do not accept collect calls even though you don't technically accept a collect call on that line; it is through an account you have with GTL.

Thing is, if you do a reverse phone number search, it will tell you if it is a land line or cell and the carrier. If I can get that information on the internet, imagine what DOC and GTL can get with their technology?

I really hope I am wrong, but I sense that they figured how to block VOIP and forwarded services.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:10 PM
his forever
Donation Award 

i figured that too DW. I already made an appt for my local service. $8 is better than nothing

Old 01-20-2009, 06:47 PM
Goin' Down Swingin'

OK...so I called back this evening hoping to get a different CSR on 2nd shift. I got the exact same one I originally reported the problem to on Saturday. She said nothing had changed and then chastised
me for calling back so soon, as evidently she made it clear to me that I should wait 3-5 business days for the "research dept" to figure out what's going on......well....at least it seems like its been that long...if not longer!

I guess I'll continue to patiently wait....and twiddle my thumbs

Old 01-20-2009, 07:06 PM
Always Doin' My Best
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tictoctictoc View Post
OK...so I called back this evening hoping to get a different CSR on 2nd shift. I got the exact same one I originally reported the problem to on Saturday. She said nothing had changed and then chastised
me for calling back so soon, as evidently she made it clear to me that I should wait 3-5 business days for the "research dept" to figure out what's going on......well....at least it seems like its been that long...if not longer!

I guess I'll continue to patiently wait....and twiddle my thumbs
Makes you want to reach through the phone and shake her and say "LOOK! I JUST WANT MY FLIPPIN PHONE CALLS! IS IT TOO MUCH TO ASK?"

The Following User Says Thank You to dwfighterva For This Useful Post:
mrsjma32 (01-20-2009)
Old 01-20-2009, 08:54 PM

I hate to piont this out but if you call gtl and complain and they or doc did something to the system You might be telling on yourself and more important your inmate. if you are getting them to check the calls and they are saying inmate hangs up to quick, isnt it possible they are doing this to get the inmates ID for doc.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:55 PM
Donation Award 

Default This can't be just a case of bad Karma!

I might have to pay GTL's full price???
Just the thought of it is bloodcurdling..(the worst word i could think of!) DOC should be ashamed that I'll have to drop out of grad school because of this.....or sell my eggs...or plasma....Do you think GTL employees get a discount??? I could look good in the operator headset....
DESPERATELY SEEKING SOLUTIONS!!!

(sellling children not an option)
Old 01-20-2009, 09:30 PM
Goin' Down Swingin'

They would know the inmates' i.d. anyway, since the # would be attached to his phone list. I've never asked them to check the calls...they do that automatically in order to verify what I'm telling them (that he gets a quick busy signal). They've assured me that my line is not blocked and that there is no reason that I should not be receiving calls. Its just too weird that the same circumstances are happening to many families at different institutions over the same time period. I'm positive I'm not the only one who has called and I have given them NO reason to be suspicious of me.....I really hope its just a fluke and that the techs get things up and running again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harasubam View Post
I hate to piont this out but if you call gtl and complain and they or doc did something to the system You might be telling on yourself and more important your inmate. if you are getting them to check the calls and they are saying inmate hangs up to quick, isnt it possible they are doing this to get the inmates ID for doc.