Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk > GPT Phones, Mail, and Visitation Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

GPT Phones, Mail, and Visitation Discussions Please post topics or discussions here that do not fit in the appropriate state or federal forums.

View Poll Results: Have you ever been a victim of crank calls from jail/prison?
Yes 1 11.11%
No 8 88.89%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-06-2004, 10:14 PM
Account Closed

Default Crank calls from local jail

I recieved a bunch of calls from the local detention center last weekend. I knew I didn't know anyone but the person kept calling. He never said his name and that concerned me because I know if I knew someone they would tell their name.

Well, it turned out that I didn't know them. After a constant hour of calls I finally accepted thinking I was doing this jerk a favor to tell him he had the wrong number. He started threatening to "get" me. He was horrible and I hung up. He kept calling and I picked up one more time to try to convince him it was the wrong person and he continued threatening me.

I was already upset trying to get ready for a move 4 hours away, missing my husband and my children ... so I called 9-1-1. When I got on to call the guy was still on there. He was hanging on to see how much he could rack up in charges. Well the operator (9-1-1) said that guys just dial random numbers and they think it's fun. He called all night and I didn't answer it. He called several times the next day (Sunday). Well on monday morning I E-Mailed Paytel (the company) and they were so quick and nice. They blocked my line and sent me a check for the amount made out to Bell South (my phone carrier). I was shocked hearing the scare stories about collect companies in prison.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2004, 07:06 PM
Account closed

Wow That Was Very Nice Of Them. It's Sad That They Can Do That And Get Away With It.
Old 09-08-2004, 07:21 PM

That has never happened to me but around two weeks ago it happened to my mom but in a slightly different way. She kept getting collect calls and she assumed it was my husband so she accepted it and the guy gave his supposed name and said he couldn't call home to let his family know he was locked up and if she would be so kind to call. He asked her to dial *73 and the # he wished her to call. Anyhow she did it for him and it so happens I called right after he did and she explained what happened. I explained to her there is a scam going around and he had tried to get her to forward her line to someone else so they can make call collects bypassing her line. When she mentioned that he said dial *73, instead of 73 # (which is the correct way to forward calls) I told her to call the phone company and report it. Do you know that the person had the nerve to try and call back a few times when he must of realize that he gave the wrong info. Sometimes you are put in positions that makes it difficult to help others. Some people are unbelievable, I guess it was a good thing I spoke to her right after, God knows what kind of phonebill she would have had. Anyway my point is to make others aware if they already didn't know.
Old 09-11-2004, 05:56 PM
Account Closed

I've already gotten the check from paypal. They were really quick ... it was only $4.30 but it was a pain for me.
Old 09-26-2004, 11:03 PM

This has never happend to me. But how scary to have someone threaten you! I am glad you got it taken care of.
Old 09-27-2004, 01:59 PM

I have never heard of this scam!...never even heard of dialing 73# before a number! I'm glad I read this thread...you never know!...