Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to the Federal Prison & the Criminal Justice System that do not fit into any other Federal sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 05-10-2020, 06:52 PM

Default Re-Calulation Wrong

Folks, have a question about something. My LO's release date has shown 12/5/32 for a few years. About 3 weeks ago, I noticed that it had changed to 10/19/32.
He was sentenced to 20 years. Recalculating the 7 days, the BOP had not been giving (54-47), means he should be recalculated to 140 fewer days than originally posted. The new release date is only 48 days less?
Am I missing something? I am definitely no math wiz! But, you know what? I think I could get a job recalculating for the BOP!

Long post and I'm sorry. Can someone make this clear to me? Thanks!
Old 05-11-2020, 10:40 AM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 23,845 Times in 13,687 Posts

If the sentence computation unit in Grand Prairie, Texas, made a mistake in calculating his release date,
https://www.bop.gov/locations/grand_prairie/

He needs to file a bp9 inmate grievance requesting that the computation be reviewed for accuracy. The grievance should detail his original sentence, minus 54 days/year good time reduction.

The bop's response will either confirm their release date, or correct it to the date he claims it should be. If the bp9 is denied, he can appeal the decision by filing a bp 10, as long as he meets the time deadline for filing it, and on and on, bp 11, etc,
Old 05-11-2020, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
If the sentence computation unit in Grand Prairie, Texas, made a mistake in calculating his release date,
https://www.bop.gov/locations/grand_prairie/

He needs to file a bp9 inmate grievance requesting that the computation be reviewed for accuracy. The grievance should detail his original sentence, minus 54 days/year good time reduction.

The bop's response will either confirm their release date, or correct it to the date he claims it should be. If the bp9 is denied, he can appeal the decision by filing a bp 10, as long as he meets the time deadline for filing it, and on and on, bp 11, etc,
You know I'm going to ask another question, right?? Any idea what the deadline is for him to submit bp9?
Old 05-11-2020, 11:37 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,238 Times in 1,484 Posts

The BOP Designation Office appears to be closed for the last month. There's no rush until they get back to regular business.
Old 05-12-2020, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellisq View Post
The BOP Designation Office appears to be closed for the last month. There's no rush until they get back to regular business.
But I'm sure, even though they're not in the office, the deadlines will still be enforced, right? I mean, what would the BOP be if they didn't make life a living Hell?!? I don't trust them in anything!
Girl22472 (05-12-2020)
Old 05-12-2020, 08:34 AM
Donation Award 

I'm not exactly clear on the parameters, but he's in for at least another 10 years, as I understand it. I think at any point in the process he can appeal the inaccurate out date. The date you are observing is on the BOP web site. This is not a meaningful number. Your LO receives Progress Reports and has reviews with the Case Manager. The number on his Progress Report is the accurate one. The public website number is not binding or required to be accurate.
The Following User Says Thank You to bellisq For This Useful Post:
John M (05-14-2020)
Old 05-12-2020, 03:43 PM

Can he fill out the forms and both fax and mail them in? I know that with most faxes you get a sent confirmation. Maybe he should also state somewhere on the hard copy that it was faxed on such and such a date with a photo copy of the sent receipt. I'm sure all prisons have a fax machine. Just a thought
Old 05-12-2020, 05:57 PM
Donation Award 

This good time credit is the law. He will receive it. I spoke to 2 people today who mentioned they had not been given the time yet and it makes a difference to them because the change makes them eligible for a lower classification.
Old 05-12-2020, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellisq View Post
This good time credit is the law. He will receive it. I spoke to 2 people today who mentioned they had not been given the time yet and it makes a difference to them because the change makes them eligible for a lower classification.

I can appreciate how much that reclassification matters, but keep in mind, no one is being transferred during COVID-19 anyway, are they?
Old 05-14-2020, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99mtg00 View Post
I can appreciate how much that reclassification matters, but keep in mind, no one is being transferred during COVID-19 anyway, are they?
Not necessarily true. My LO is at Seagoville amd they have had at least one transfer in. Ironically, the person , who was brought in, came in as a confirmed case of Covid-19! Seagoville's only case.
Old 05-16-2020, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John M View Post
Not necessarily true. My LO is at Seagoville amd they have had at least one transfer in. Ironically, the person , who was brought in, came in as a confirmed case of Covid-19! Seagoville's only case.
Transfer, or newly incarcerated? I see, people are still being sentenced, and I haven't heard of self-surrenders being postponed on account of the pandemic. And confirmed COVID-19? Confirmed by whom? Inmate.com? Medical? I wouldn't rely on either.
Old 05-16-2020, 02:23 PM

Default May 16

Here in Montana, sentencing are taking place along with other types of hearings. Some types are by phone and some are in person. They did delay some until after May 27. My son's was rescheduled until mid June. They are still transferring prisoners in and out here too from prisons. I heard today on news, that some of the "quick COVID tests" are now 50% wrong and they are completely unreliable. Things keep changing and hard to keep up. I called the courthouse and asked on self surrender and they said it is usually around 4 weeks after sentencing that the convict has to report to prison and those are still happening too.

QUOTE=99mtg00;7819151]Transfer, or newly incarcerated? I see, people are still being sentenced, and I haven't heard of self-surrenders being postponed on account of the pandemic. And confirmed COVID-19? Confirmed by whom? Inmate.com? Medical? I wouldn't rely on either.[/quote]
The Following User Says Thank You to YOGA62 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (05-16-2020)
Old 05-16-2020, 02:46 PM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Unfortunately being allowed to self surrender depends on each judge, and it is definitely not guaranteed. Since your son has not been allowed to remain free on bond pending his sentencing, I doubt if the same judge will then allow him to self surrender. I hope I'm wrong.

If he can self surrender, and his date to arrive happens during the corona virus mess, his lawyer can file a motion with the sentencing judge asking for a further delay.
Old 05-16-2020, 03:04 PM

Default Self Surrender

Hi,

The self surrender inquiry I made was about in general, I gave no names, but was about his ex girlfriend, who has been on release living at a sober living facility. She was convicted of robbery and conspiracy robbery but has been allowed to live at the sober living facility with my 7 yr old granddaughter until her sentencing in early June. The judge won't even allow my son home confinement although he has several high risk categories and just found out he is diabetic.

Quote:
Unfortunately being allowed to self surrender depends on each judge, and it is definitely not guaranteed. Since your son has not been allowed to remain free on bond pending his sentencing, I doubt if the same judge will then allow him to self surrender. I hope I'm wrong.

If he can self surrender, and his date to arrive happens during the corona virus mess, his lawyer can file a motion with the sentencing judge asking for a further delay.
Old 05-16-2020, 04:39 PM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

I assumed it was your son, who I think is being held in custody while awaiting his sentencing. I should have followed the adage about ass-uming.

At my sentencing the only person in the courtroom who opposed allowing me to self surrender was the judge, even after the prosecutor and US Probation "didn't object".
Old 05-16-2020, 06:29 PM

Default Sentencing Judges

I can't wait to see the PSRs! They will be in PACER May 27 and May 28! I am trying to keep busy. I have tried to "calculate" from the sentencing charts. My son was told hie could get 144 months that is the high end. Seems extreme for robbery where he went to get his own money back, but two men had guns and it was over heroin. Hopefully he and she learn their lessons. I have given up trying to get into the judge's head and guess. Just a waste of energy and more stress. I am working in my yard, gardening, mowing grass, picked rhubarb and trying to keep myself occupied until the mid June sentencing days arrive. PACER has the results within hours, those court reporters and clerks, move quick here in Montana, probably all over. PACER makes a LOT of money. I have spent hundreds getting all the records. Even if you view you pay so I download them.

Quote:
I assumed it was your son, who I think is being held in custody while awaiting his sentencing. I should have followed the adage about ass-uming.

At my sentencing the only person in the courtroom who opposed allowing me to self surrender was the judge, even after the prosecutor and US Probation "didn't object".
Old 05-16-2020, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOGA62 View Post
I can't wait to see the PSRs! They will be in PACER May 27 and May 28! I am trying to keep busy. I have tried to "calculate" from the sentencing charts. My son was told hie could get 144 months that is the high end. Seems extreme for robbery where he went to get his own money back, but two men had guns and it was over heroin. Hopefully he and she learn their lessons. I have given up trying to get into the judge's head and guess. Just a waste of energy and more stress. I am working in my yard, gardening, mowing grass, picked rhubarb and trying to keep myself occupied until the mid June sentencing days arrive. PACER has the results within hours, those court reporters and clerks, move quick here in Montana, probably all over. PACER makes a LOT of money. I have spent hundreds getting all the records. Even if you view you pay so I download them.

Make sure you get custody of your grandchild before the mother gets sentenced. You don't want the grandchild going into child services.
The Following User Says Thank You to Born For This Useful Post:
YOGA62 (05-29-2020)
Old 05-18-2020, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99mtg00 View Post
Transfer, or newly incarcerated? I see, people are still being sentenced, and I haven't heard of self-surrenders being postponed on account of the pandemic. And confirmed COVID-19? Confirmed by whom? Inmate.com? Medical? I wouldn't rely on either.
My LO asked a CO, he's on good terms with, who told him the "confirmed case" was a man who was transferred to Seagoville from a county jail. That's all the CO told him. He had been diagnosed prior tibthe transfer to Seagoville.
Old 05-18-2020, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John M View Post
My LO asked a CO, he's on good terms with, who told him the "confirmed case" was a man who was transferred to Seagoville from a county jail. That's all the CO told him. He had been diagnosed prior tibthe transfer to Seagoville.

As far as i'm concerned, that sounds like a deliberate act to infect others.
Old 05-19-2020, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born View Post
As far as i'm concerned, that sounds like a deliberate act to infect others.
Old 05-29-2020, 08:30 PM

Default custody

My daughter is first in line, I am second. IF she goes to federal prison, my granddaughter will be with my daughter. Now it seems like a big IF today the PO told CPS they do not think she will go to prison. I cannot believe it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born View Post
Make sure you get custody of your grandchild before the mother gets sentenced. You don't want the grandchild going into child services.
The Following User Says Thank You to YOGA62 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (05-30-2020)