Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MICHIGAN > Michigan Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Michigan Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Use this forum to discuss Michigan prison Visitation, Phones & Mail issues & topics. If you have a question about or want to discuss these issues in a specific facility, please visit that facility's sub-forum category.

Old 11-17-2005, 06:14 PM
Bess

Question Visitor not visiting-Are they allowed to wait at the prison while I visit?

A friend of mine has offered to ride up to the Thumb with me when I go to visit, she is not on my sons visiting list so she can not go in to visit, but does anyone know if she would be allowed to sit in the lobby and read a book while I visit? I don't recall seeing anything that addresses this, but my son is new to the facility and I have only been there once so far. I will try to call the facility, but it is always hard to hear when I call and sometimes the people on the other end of the line are not very helpful, so I was hoping to get some info here.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2005, 06:31 PM

I have seen people do this at Lakeland in Coldwater. I guess though it would all depend on the accommodations in the waiting lobby area.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:43 PM
Yooper Mod on Leave
Donation Award 

I know that at some facilities they don't let anyone wait.... I remember a few years ago when the co's made a younger female leave with a tiny baby and she had to walk in the winter time in Ionia... She had no car, no $ for a cab and her ride had let her off and they wouldn't let the baby in...

I've seen them make people leave instead of wait in Ionia, Muskegon and Kincheloe so I'd try and find somewhere else she can go while you visit and set up a time for her to come back... Maybe a restaurant nearby where she can have coffee and read?

Deb

September 10th 2009
Old 11-17-2005, 06:51 PM

at macomb correctional facility they let me wiat in the lobby three times i wasnt on the list yet but rode with his sister inlaw...........i could wave to him when he came up for visit and went back to his dorm...........the co's were actually really nice to me even stopped and talked a few times guess it depends on where your at...........
Old 11-17-2005, 06:54 PM
I am his and He is mine!!

I visit the Handlon Facility in Ionia and Being 9 months pregnant I cant make the hour and a half trip by myself, just in case. They never say anything about my tag-a-long sitting in the waiting room for the 3-5 hours I get to visit. I dont know if its like that everywhere but that had been my experiance. They dont ussually mind especially if the person is not loud and reads or something like that.

Old 11-17-2005, 07:57 PM
Very Much Missed Administrator
Donation Award 

Well as you can tell.. some will, some won't. Could your friend go shopping maybe? Lapeer doesn't have a mall, but there's always Meijer, Wal Mart or KMart! There's also a really great library in Lapeer as well.
But they all get along and
EVERYONE is happy!

R.I.P. Sally! This Dragon is Flying High Again.. WE LOVE YOU & Will Never Forget!
Old 11-17-2005, 08:24 PM
Closed

I liked the Wal Mart at Lapeer, I spent a lot of time there. I even bought something once. There is a MacDonalds right by it. I will vouch for the library too, its a very nice one. There are no restaurants within walking distance, there is only a small store within walking distance. Perhaps you can find a nice place for her, and take a taxi to the prison and then back to where she is.

Also, I went up with my son once who wasnt on the visit list yet and they wouldnt let him wait in the lobby or in the car. I had to go drive him to Wal Mart, have my visit and come back and get him. So they may be picky still at Thumb.

Last edited by witchlinblue; 11-17-2005 at 08:26 PM..
Old 11-17-2005, 09:07 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,728 Times in 1,649 Posts

Well I was a visitor at Thumb from November 2001 till April 2004. I do know my then boyfriend's brother was allowed to sit in the lobby while we visited, but he was originally visiting with us. I guess it would all depend on who is working, etc.

Old 11-17-2005, 09:19 PM

Pine River does not allow anyone not visiting to wait in the lobby, or in the car. They have to leave the prison grounds.

It appears each facility is different. I would call the facility to make sure.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:41 PM
Bess

Thank you for the info. It is good to know that Lapeer has several options for shopping and about the library. The only time I have been there I got off 69 at the facility and got right back on when I left, so I had no idea what Lapeer had to offer. Sounds like there will be plenty for my friend to do if she can not hang out in the lobby.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:49 AM

Camp Ottawa doesn't even have a lobby where some one could wait. The sign posted said that no one can sit in the parking lot to wait either. Some of the rules are plain stupid!
Old 11-21-2005, 07:54 AM
Account Closed

Well at Oaks they encourage it because of the fact that I've had some people wait for me before and they have actually been really nice to them about it! Now my was moved to Ojibway about 4 months ago and although there was no one waiting in the lobby they didnt act like they would have cared either though!
It's a general rule that no one can wait in cars on any Michigan prison grounds
and I know this because it was quoted to me at a visit one time at Oaks!
I went out to start the car while I was on a visit and I was getting ready to leave and I was waiting for my car pooler to come out to the car because she had to make a pit stop in the bathroom! Well the guard that drives around came to my car as soon as I started it and asked me what I was doing and I told him warming up the car and waiting for someone else well needless to say he said I couldnt do that OK dead of winter and I cant warm the car that is just plain dumb well I still did it anyways and he didnt say anything more about it but he told me that I could go back inside and wait for my carpooler to come out! Then I seen that they seem kind of funny at Carson City about running to your car and leaving right away also!
Then I can tell you at Carson City I've seen people wait for other people when they couldnt get in and they never said anything to them about it as long as you tell them because there isnt anything around there to go and do also and they know that! I think it just depends on the prison! But I would call and ask and make sure that you get the name of the person that your talking with if they say that you can because this way if they say NO when you get there then you can tell them well I spoke with "?" and they told me you can and they usually dont bother you so much then also! That's just my input into this LOL

KarrieMI
Old 12-04-2005, 10:37 PM
CAN'T HELP BUT WAIT

wow that terrible some people you think they just dont have a heart i guess they thin if we make exceptions for one then we have to make exceptions for others but man she had a baby how low is that

Old 12-05-2005, 11:25 PM
Waiting until 2007

I just saw them make a woman leave tonight since she wasn't a visitor, and when she said that she would go and sit in the car, they told her that she couldn't do that either. I would look into finding a library in the area, and dropping her off there for awhile. She would probably enjoy that more, let alone feel more comfortable.