Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > Dieting & Health
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: The Best Diet
Low Calorie/ Low Fat 75 19.63%
Low Carb/ High Protein 97 25.39%
Jenny Craig ( or other pre- packaged diets) 4 1.05%
Liquid Diet (Medifast/ Slimfast) 17 4.45%
Weight Watchers 83 21.73%
Other 106 27.75%
Voters: 382. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-05-2007, 11:23 PM

I don't diet. I eat sensibly making lifestyle changes rather than spending too much to lose a few pounds here and their. I have never tried Weight Watchers or Jenny Craig but if I'm not mistaken they require you to buy food from them correct???? The thing with such diets is that you never learn to prepare healthy meals for yourself and your family plus its very costly. After battling with my weight for years I decided to make changes and in my transition I became a fitness professional and as a result learned a lot.

Diets are depressing although some led to fast weight loss it usually doesn't last once you come off of them. My advice, grab a copy of the food pyramid, grab a calculator, a couple sheets of paper and create a menu for the week. Not for weight loss but for healthy meals your entire family can enjoy and stick with it! You may not lose 10+ lbs the first month but you will lose, you'll save money and in the long term say 1-2 yrs down the line you'll be much healthier.

Wasiah
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2007, 12:23 PM

Been doing Atkins (low carb) since May 1st

Start weight 210
currently 194
goal 155

Go me!!
Old 05-22-2007, 11:25 PM

6 week body makeover by Michael Thurmond

I lost 8lbs on the 6 day makeover. I did not follow the eating as I should have however I did walk 3 miles four days out of the week.
It is wise to recognize dead issues and the courage to write them off. Sign the death certificate. Focus your energy on things you can really make an impact on, and bury the past so it may rest in peace.

- T.D. Jakes - Maximize The Moment
Old 07-10-2007, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasiahRashid
I don't diet. I eat sensibly making lifestyle changes rather than spending too much to lose a few pounds here and their. I have never tried Weight Watchers or Jenny Craig but if I'm not mistaken they require you to buy food from them correct???? The thing with such diets is that you never learn to prepare healthy meals for yourself and your family plus its very costly. After battling with my weight for years I decided to make changes and in my transition I became a fitness professional and as a result learned a lot.

Diets are depressing although some led to fast weight loss it usually doesn't last once you come off of them. My advice, grab a copy of the food pyramid, grab a calculator, a couple sheets of paper and create a menu for the week. Not for weight loss but for healthy meals your entire family can enjoy and stick with it! You may not lose 10+ lbs the first month but you will lose, you'll save money and in the long term say 1-2 yrs down the line you'll be much healthier.

Wasiah
I totally agree with you.
I think anybody can diet and lose weight, but the big problem is keeping it off and staying healthy as you do it. I think it is so important to find a plan one can actually live with, and do yourself. Like you said, you won't lose the pounds as quickly as in many popular diet plans, but you will be healthier. Besides, you're not really supposed to lose more thanmax 1 pound a week anyway.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:01 AM
Hismeja/myfatboy
Donation Award 

Default I hate dieting!!!

I go on the low carb/ high protien diet, it seems to work for me. I love food like bread and pasta, you know all the yummy stuff and I love to eat!! This diet helps me to lose weight and I actually feel better when I am on it. My best friend is on a low carb/ low calorie diet that is pure h*ll!!! She goes to a clinic, gets protien shakes, ect. and has lost 68lbs. in about five months!!!!!!! I am very proud of her. She goes in to the clinic weekly to weigh in and get her vital signs read. Eventually, the clinic will try to instill better eating habits, so she can keep the weight off. The initial cost was about $180.00 and it was worth it for her. She can substitute a meal(low carb/low cal) for a shake every three days, but she is always hungry. So the diet isn't perfect(like any of them are!), but like I said, it works for her.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred4sd
She can substitute a meal(low carb/low cal) for a shake every three days, but she is always hungry. So the diet isn't perfect(like any of them are!), but like I said, it works for her.
I hope it continues to work out for her. Personally, I can't go on a plan where I can't eat until I'm full. I don't have to be stuffed or anything, but if I have to walk around hungry I'll start to obsess about food, and eventually slip up.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:22 PM
Closed

low carb works very well. especially if you eat smaller portions, more frequently and drink lots of water (like half of your body weight in ounces daily) and exercise. it's MAGIC. buy the book - the atkins diet.

no pill, no diet foods. and don't go crazy with the fat and bacon. eww. just eat protein - like grilled fish and chicken, red meat on occasion ... and a small, light salad. oh, and take vitamins.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:37 PM
Us Against the World

I have learned that WW works best for me, because you can eat anything you want; It's about portion control. And I don't go to the meetings. I have one of their point counters and keep it with me at all times.
Old 07-28-2007, 05:01 AM
Donation Award 

Returning to the way our bodies were designed to eat is the healthiest way to eat, lose weight and feel good. I started eating this way three years ago and have never felt healthier or had so much energy. I've been able to get off all of the prescription medicines I was on for asthma, high blood pressure, depression, and eczema.

I never go down the aisles I deem "poison central." Foods that are processed contains refined sugar in them and refined sugar is poison to the body. Your meats and dairy are loaded with hormones. Is it any wonder we are suffering from major mood swings?

I only shop in the produce aisle ... fruits, nuts, seeds and vegetables. These are foods our bodies were designed to eat. These are the foods we all ate before man invented fire 10,000+ years ago. These are the foods we all ate prior to cancer, diabetes and other diseases. My food choices do not consist of all organic foods ... yet ... but my goal is to move to a climate that will allow me to grow my own food ... or just have it growing wild in my back yard.

Oh, and I am never, ever hungry. I can eat anytime, anywhere because I don't have to cook my food. I don't eat ... say, one banana and think that will satisfy me. I meat many bananas in a sitting. I eat tons of watermelons, cantelope, grapes, salads galore, etc. I even eat things like enchiladas and "lasagna." The tortilla for the enchiladas are dehydrated and the lasagna could be warmed in the dehydrator but for the most part my meals are grab and go.

Last edited by Crone; 07-28-2007 at 05:02 AM..
Old 07-29-2007, 03:57 AM

Crone2004: Well, scientists aren't really in agreement on what out bodies were designed to eat. Before man created fire, it's very likey that we ate our meat raw. Just like a lot of monkeys do today. We often think that monkeys, like us, are created to be vegetarians, but there has been a number of studies that has shown that when they get a chance, monkeys will eat meat first, and then veggies as a filler. Still, that doesn't mean that your diet aren't the best for you
Old 07-29-2007, 07:50 AM
Donation Award 

heidiii, our bodies certainly weren't designed eat foods that contain pesticides and other chemicals found in processed foods, meats or dairy. Man was designed to eat the foods that were easily accessible to him. Foods that could be picked from plants within reach such as berries, tomatoes, cucumbers, greens (on the ground or in a bush), bananas, apples, oranges, mangoes, avocados (could climb a tree to get), How did man, before the invention of tools, kill to eat? How did man, without tools, cut away the flesh of the animal to get to the meat? Our teeth certainly aren't strong enough or sharp enough to do that.

Before fire, we may or may not have eaten meat. Personally, I don't touch meat. I have found in the past when I ate it that I became more aggressive in nature - much like a predator. Humans are the only animal on the planet that continue to drink milk after the time period when we would have been weaned from our mother's milk. The milk the majority of us are drinking is infected with chemicals, hormones, and often times pus from the infected udders of cows brought on from the chemicals that are injected into the cow. Milk from a cow is milk for a baby calf that will someday grow into a 2000 pound animal. How can this be good for us?

Scientists will say what they are paid to say by the highest bidder. I trust nature ... the way my body feels when it eats the way I eat. I don't trust someone who is paid for their opinion.

I'm not here to debate any of this. We all have to do what we feel is right. It is just food for thought (no pun intended).

Last edited by Crone; 07-29-2007 at 08:19 AM..
Old 07-29-2007, 10:43 AM

I was just saying that there is a debate about this in research circles, and we are therefore not in a position to say with very much accuracy what we actually ate at that stage.
There is reserach that say that vegetarians/vegans are malnourished and very unhealthy, and those results that say that this diet has excellent results when it comes to preventing and treating hert disease and diabetes.

And as far as meateating goes, monkeys use rocks for both killing and ripping the meat. The bigger kind use their own muscle power. We could, or could not, have done the same.

I agree with you about chemicals, but if one only wishes to avoid those, one can buy organic.
I think that everyone has to find a diet/meal plan that works for them, because when it comes to which diet is the healthiest, only fragments has been proven. That's all I'm saying. I'm hapy that you found something that works for you. As for myself, I got sleepier and more cranky when I was a vegetarian.

Last edited by heidiii; 07-29-2007 at 10:46 AM..
Old 07-29-2007, 11:30 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidiii
I think that everyone has to find a diet/meal plan that works for them, because when it comes to which diet is the healthiest, only fragments has been proven.
Exactly. I don't understand why when I share my 'diet' with others a debate immediately ensues. I've had to start telling people that I am allergic to processed foods or meat to avoid a debate. The question posed in this thread was "which diet do you think is best." My post was the only one that brought forth comment because it is seen as out of the 'norm." I do find it interesting that people think that it is healthy or 'normal' to eat food that comes in box, a can or a plastic bottle. The truth of the matter is, I am healthier than I have been in over 30 years. I no longer take any medications for asthma, diabetes, high blood pressure or depression. I no longer have the need to see a medical professional because I am healthy. My skin glows, I have tons of energy, my thinking process is clear, and my mind is free from the major depression I once experienced. I was told I would never be free from antidepressants and here I am 5 years later proving them wrong - all because I took processed foods out of my diet.

Yes there are differing opinions about this in the research circles. You will find that those research circles are typically funded by large corporations that make huge profits selling things in a box or off the hoof. It wouldn't be fair to judge the benefits of a natural diet against the word of someone who is getting paid to say that cheese and pasta is good for you (for example).

If when eating a vegetarian diet you experienced being tired my guess would be that you weren't eating enough foods that were high in calories (energy) to keep you going throughout the day. I would impose more fresh fruits such as bananas, dates, etc. into your diet for the needed energy. Finally, when the body requires rest it is to heal itself from the day's work ... or the toxins ingested. People have fasted for 30 days and not been tired for lack of food. Those same people were healthier for it.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:44 PM

My issue wasn't with the vegetarian diet. I just don't agree that anyone has enough information to say that only one diet is good for us, that only one is healthy because it is the one we followed at an earlier stage. I just don't think we have enough evidence to back that up. We have evidence to say that some things are healthier than others, but all in all people have different experiences and responses to different kinds of food.

I can relate to what you're saying about how people respond to you being a vegetarian, because I got a lot of those myself. Like I said, I think it's good you found something that works for you, but a vegetarian diet is not for everyone.
But you know, my issue is rather with the idea that one diet works for everyone, rather than yours spesifically
Old 07-29-2007, 02:35 PM
Donation Award 

You're right. I did say it was the healthiest way to eat and I stand by that.

I did not say that it was for everyone. There are those who will not give up the Standard American Diet (SAD) (that is, processed foods - foods that come in a box, meat and dairy products) because they are either addicted to the food, drawn away from 'real food' by the propaganda or persuaded by peer pressure or marketing ads to eat foods like mac 'n cheese, twinkies, ice cream or frozen dinners.

I do not eat a vegetarian diet. Vegetarians tend to cook their food. I do not cook anything that I eat. The way I eat is not extreme in any way. It is normal and natural. There is nothing natural about eating food out of a can or a box or grilled off the hoof. There is nothing natural about drinking milk designed for an animal that will eventually become a 2000 pound beast. There is nothing natural about drinking milk after being weaned from our mother's breast. There is nothing natural about eating chemical laden foods.

Besides the health issues some of the best things about eating this way is:
  • I'm not a slave to my kitchen
  • no cooking
  • no cleaning pots or pans
  • no need to spend your hard earned dollars on electricity or gas for your stove or refrigerator.
  • no greasy stains on your clothing
  • i never have to say "wait, i have to do the dishes"
  • I can make a 'batch of cookies' in 3 minutes or less.
  • I can take my food with me wherever I go ... or I can pick it fresh.
  • I don't have to wait until after dinner for dessert because 'dessert' is my breakfast, lunch or dinner.
The proof is in the pudding (so to speak) and the information is out there for anyone willing to do the research. You'll find naysayers and yeasayers on both ends of the spectrum. People will have to make their own determinations about what they are willing to do to be healthy.

Last edited by Crone; 07-29-2007 at 02:38 PM..
Old 07-29-2007, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crone2004
You're right. I did say it was the healthiest way to eat and I stand by that.

I did not say that it was for everyone. There are those who will not give up the Standard American Diet (SAD) (that is, processed foods - foods that come in a box, meat and dairy products) because they are either addicted to the food, drawn away from 'real food' by the propaganda or persuaded by peer pressure or marketing ads to eat foods like mac 'n cheese, twinkies, ice cream or frozen dinners.

People will have to make their own determinations about what they are willing to do to be healthy.
I find your post very judgemental. Forgive me if I misread your post, and I hope I did, but as I understand it you're basically saying that you have the right and only answer to what's healthy, and anyone who does not agree are either manipulated or an addict.
Old 07-29-2007, 03:36 PM
Donation Award 

You did misread my post.

My post wasn't judgmental. It contained facts. One cannot be healthy if they eat pesticides, chemicals and poisons. The facts are easily found if one is willing to do the research. I ask no one to take my word for it. As a matter of fact, as I stated in an earlier post, one must do their own research. This thread is titled "Which diet do you think is the BEST!!!" Trying to follow PTO's rules and both post and stay on topic I responded by stating which diet I thought was best. How my response got turned into a debate I am unsure but as I stated before, I'm not here to debate the way I eat.

Last edited by Crone; 07-29-2007 at 03:47 PM..
Old 07-29-2007, 03:47 PM
It's Only Time

I have never dieted oh yes I did after pregnancy, and it didn't work didn't lose a damn thing. I say eat small portions, exersize and low carbs!

Old 07-29-2007, 03:49 PM

But the options available to us are more than a choice between your diet and a diet full of additives.
If you didn't want to debate it, you didn't have to respond to my posts
Old 07-29-2007, 04:08 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidiii
If you didn't want to debate it, you didn't have to respond to my posts
You are correct. Bye-bye now!
Old 08-15-2007, 11:02 PM
º»¹³ missing him ¹³«º
Donation Award 

umm o_0 okay!!!!! what the hellz...

hey crone ... how do you actually eat your food, i just wanna know, do you just eat like carrots and lettuce and stuff that you don't cook, do you really not cook at all? cuz if thats so then that is pretty cool.

well to answer the question of the thread, i dunno which is the best diet cuz i've never been on a diet, except for right now cuz i just recently gain about 20 pounds in 4 months, cuz i was feeling down cuz my man just got locked up, and some other reasons, so yeah, and the only thing i've been trying to do is eat less of what i've been eatting. i hope it really work but we'll see. and i think that every diet works different for every person, so they can't really say that just one diet work for us all.

Trust me ...
I'm the one that keeps my own head up
HES FINALLY HOME
Old 08-16-2007, 06:39 AM
Donation Award 

Sh0r3ty, I don't cook any of my food, though on occasion (very rarely) I will dehydrate my food. When I do that I will make things like the tortilla's for my enchiladas, fruit leather, etc. I eat fresh, organic fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds. My typical day is a mono-fruit 'breakfast' or a smoothy at around 11:00 or so. (mono-fruit would be a meal of all one kind of fruit - bananas, cherries, mangoes, etc.). Lunch is typically a large salad. My salad 'dressings' are a fresh, organic fruit, such as a mango that I put in a blender with just enough water to make it move. Dinner can either be a mono-meal or another huge salad ... if I'm even hungry at that point.

No dirty, greasy pots and pans to wash. No electric/gas bill for the stove. It's really easy when you think about it. There are also many raw recipes that can be made as one transitions into the raw or natural hygiene way of eating.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:14 PM
º»¹³ missing him ¹³«º
Donation Award 

ohhh thats pretty cool Crone, but don't you get tired of eating kind of the same foods every day?? hmm actually probably you wouldn't huh cuz there are many different fruits and vegetables and w/e else. thats pretty cool i wish i could be that commited to staying with one specific group of foods and stuff. so have you lost weight by eating like that?

Trust me ...
I'm the one that keeps my own head up
HES FINALLY HOME
Old 08-16-2007, 04:20 PM

Wow, thank you all for your replies. I have to agree with what many of you said... it's all about the person. Each person and each body is sooo different. There are no two of us a like.

I am your chronic dieter. I have some how taken a little from each diet actually mentioned in this thread and made my own diet out of it. And it works for me. I have gotten some of my best ideas from the WW posters, the Adkins poster, and now that I have acquired a taste for organic foods I have gotten great ideas from them as well. However, our bodies are never ending when it comes to change. I can't diet the way I used to as a teenager and have the same results as I would have then. I would starve to death or gain more weight. I think that as we get older we have to alter our diets as our bodies change. What works for me now may not work for me in the future. But more importantly, I am glad that so many people have found diets that work for them and they are able to make a life style out of it. I'm glad to hear that people actually do see light at the end of the tunnel. If you have ever really suffered from dieter's syndrome you can see why I respect each and everyone's diet whether I agree with it or not.

But to answer my very own question... I think it is about balance, portions, control, and awareness. Once you have got that mastered as many of you do... then you have the BEST diet for you. Good Luck with this ladies.

Last edited by WaitN4Him; 08-16-2007 at 04:22 PM..
Old 08-17-2007, 07:44 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0r3ty
ohhh thats pretty cool Crone, but don't you get tired of eating kind of the same foods every day?? hmm actually probably you wouldn't huh cuz there are many different fruits and vegetables and w/e else. thats pretty cool i wish i could be that commited to staying with one specific group of foods and stuff. so have you lost weight by eating like that?
There are thousands of different fruits, veggies, nuts and seeds to choose from so no, I don't get tired of eathing the same foods every day.

I've lost 50 lbs, no longer need to take meds for depression, asthma, eczema, high blood pressure or diabetes. Life is ... healthy now! Thanks for your questions.