Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > PTO Lounge
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

PTO Lounge Come in... put your feet up and relax... talk about anything non-prison related! Hobbies, Books, Technical and Do it Yourself, Travel and more.

Old 10-20-2003, 11:33 PM

Default name a nice thing someone has done that has brought joy to your life

So many times instead of focusing on the positive, I get stuck in the negative..
I thought it would be inspirational to hear what other's have done that has made a difference in your life.

I have had many people do wonderful things for me, and this one thing sticks out...I believe this is the definition of unconditional.

I am a single mom of two children.
I pay for everything and get no benefits from the state and or government.

I pay for all my medical payments, all my bills, clothes, food, gas, transportation, tune ups etc, childcare, and my medical payments for the 3 of us are 460.00 a month. 20 dollar visits, 10 dollar perscriptions. 200 copay if admitted to hospital or one of my kids...100 for the emergency room and it ads up at times...and when my son was born, he was intolerant to regular infamil formula. which i could buy for a lot cheaper at costco and get 2x the amount.

after dealing with him screaming day and night for almost a month, the doctor recommended that I switch to a digestable formula called nutramigen. He warned me that it was VERY expensive and after trying other options, the change in my son was night and day. it is 25.00 for a 1 lb can and he goes through about 4 a week, costing me 100 a week for just formula. I never said a word though, but the cost of it was challenging to say the least. I called the company to see if I had options and all they did was give me cupons for $1 off. woohoo!! ya ok...well the doctor gave me 2 cans which i appreciated to get me started, and when I went in for his 2 month shots, a nurse practioner came in the room because she heard him screaming all the way from in her office. She said oh he's on nutramigen..wow.. that stuff is expensive. I agreed. 2 days later I got a voice mail from that woman who is NOT David's doctor to remind you, and said to stop by and see her. So I did a couple days later and she precedes to hand me 2 cases of formula and told me that when I started to get low, to call her and she would help me out. which she has not failed to do...I could not thank her enough for the kindness she has continued to show me and my son...and even in HMO's there are wonderful people..who are class acts. My thanks will never be enough to show that woman and just the simple thing of giving me free formula it truely touches my heart, and helps me realize there is still good in the world.

Thank-You Nurse Practioner Elizabeth

Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2003, 11:53 PM
Packer Fan

my former landlord is on the board of his church when he heard my hubby was going in prison he signed my kids up for angel lights which is where the members of the comunity picks a name of a child and buys them a christmas gift from there parent who is prison so they can say they got a gift from their daddy i was beyond words when he told me this he has done alot of other things to help me i will never be able to thank him enough

Old 10-21-2003, 12:11 AM
Da Ole Goat

I got a lot of little favors at the track from my customers. But this last Friday was a biggie. I worked on her son's bicycle at the store for hours getting it ready to race after he had really messed it up at home. (14 y.o. knows it all) LOL

She figured since I go streight to the track after closing I would be hungry and she bought me a KC dinner when I arrived, even tho she spent $125.00 for my work and parts.
Old 10-21-2003, 12:21 AM

Wenny,
Wow! thanks for sharing such a wonderful story. I bet that was so awesome.

Bray.....it was huge! What a wonderful lady.

I know what you mean though by little favors going out of their way makes such an impact.

Sometimes it's as simple as when I have worked late, having my daughter fed her dinner so I don't have to worry about it and her homework done at 10:00 at night, without having to ask.

Keep it up guys!!

Old 10-21-2003, 12:29 AM
Banned

I often think about this subject. Because a lot of times a person is in a position to really help another person out. When I was a depressed 19 yr old a young law student invited me to sit at her table at a crowded italian restaurant at the U. I got the courage to move out on my own.
when I was 24 I was eligible to buy a house because my apartment was condemned. I was single, and turned down by several mortgage companies after I found a little duplex I put a purchase agreement in on. The third guy said, do you still sell jewelry? I said sometimes yes. He said how much on a good month? This was 72, I said $100, he said ok, $200 and wrote it down. I got the house. It kept me off welfare later when I divorced with a 2 yr old. I've had people at my church give scholarships for my foster kids to attend a $400 camp. OH!! and the husband of a friend from my play group took my paternity case pro bono. I went into a rebound relationship and got pregnant as we were breaking up. I was the defendant in a paternity case because I wouldn't let him drop in whenever he wanted. When I was turning 39 my family came over and really fixed up and decorated my house which was looking pretty shabby. A year ago a crew of 4 from my sister's family who is a year younger came over and helped me paint my living room which was taking forever. ( texture paint) My sisters have often been there for me, taking my youngest child for day care when no one else would. She is mentally disabled and was very difficult when she was young, kicked out of three day cares in two months when I quit day care and went into a business.
I think this is how life is supposed to work, that you help out the people who come before you for some reason.
Old 10-21-2003, 12:34 AM
Banned

I think sometimes people who are more in tune, sense when a person really needs help, like with the formula!
Old 10-21-2003, 12:47 AM
Ghetto Boo

hey my name is chele , i been here awhile ,

last week , one of my ** i have over 35 now ** pen pals ,,,,

send me the new eric jerome dickey book , in a letter i wrote saying , i wont pay hard cover price , he got it from somewhere and i now own it !!! 15 stamps it took him

i write them , cuz they write me back ,

and i like mail !!

Old 10-21-2003, 02:13 AM
JOHNNY'S ANGEL

Short and Sweet......My Mom just paid off all my credit cards! I am paying her back, but wow, I am not paying all that interest each month! God is Good!
Old 10-21-2003, 05:58 AM
On my own

Before I was to be married, a woman I didn't know stopped into my office to ask a question and we started talking about my upcoming wedding, which was a week away and she made a comment about how happy my mother must be to have her firstborn getting married..She didn't realize that I hadn't spoken to my mother in a while and that she would not be attending my wedding..I became a little emotional and ended up telling her about the situation with my mom...she was very comforting and sympathetic and asked to describe my wedding dress, which was a halter around the neck style and she asked me if I had a silk shawl or gloves and I said no I didn't and she wished me a future of happiness and luck. I took my vacation two days later and when I came into the office to pick up my check, my boss said someone had left a package for me...That lovely woman had bought me a beautiful pair of arm length white silk gloves and handsewed a beautiful matching silk shawl with a note she affectionately signed "Surrogate Mom"...I will never forget her...Joy
Old 10-21-2003, 07:29 AM
Back 4 Round 2??

That was beautiful Mrs Maze, all of your stories are beautiful. I cant think of anything that someone has done for me that has been really meaningful to me but I will and get back to ya!
Old 10-21-2003, 09:02 AM
Green Monster Admin
Donation Award 

Well, this happened a couple of months ago and it just really meant a lot to me. I have a wonderful friendship with a male coworker, who has always been there for me like a big brother. For a while a couple of months ago we had been having huge fights constantly over work and personal issues. During this time I found out that I had to have a medical procedure done. I was in his office one morning and he knew something was wrong. He finally got me to tell him what was going on, and without missing a beat, asked what time he should pick me up on the morning of the procedure. Despite all the fighting that had gone on between us, it was a wake-up call to me to see that he still cares and doesn't take the friendship for granted.
Old 10-21-2003, 10:35 AM

I swear I've got a big old lump in my throat...baby formula, wedding gestures...wow! That's so wonderful.

This was a great idea!
I don't have one yet, but I'll come back.
Wendy
Old 10-21-2003, 03:49 PM

Joy that story about the handsewn shawl and gloves made me cry...