Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > AROUND THE WORLD > Canadian Prison & Criminal Justice Topics > Canada - General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Canada - General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Canada that do not fit into any other Canada sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:18 PM

Default Marriage while in Federal

Has anyone had any experience getting married while your partner is in Federal? I have some questions, how long does it take? What is the process? What was it like?

Anything you may be able to tell me would be helpful.

Thanks,
Old 10-10-2011, 01:10 PM

Hey... Ive heard it can be a long process (a couple months or so) My man and I are going to be getting married while he is in.... He has talked with Chaplains regarding us getting married and as soon as I find out more info then 'the process can take a couple months' I will be sure to keep you posted
Old 10-10-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy4ever View Post
Hey... Ive heard it can be a long process (a couple months or so) My man and I are going to be getting married while he is in.... He has talked with Chaplains regarding us getting married and as soon as I find out more info then 'the process can take a couple months' I will be sure to keep you posted

Thanks so much, I am interested in hearing how it goes,

all the best,
Old 10-21-2011, 11:54 AM

We were married in a federal prison in Ontario this year, and it took us less than a month to put things together. The institutional chaplains will NOT help, except that you can book the chapel through them and have your partner arrange for them to meet you at the gate with visitor's passes and take you to the chapel. You are responsible for providing an officiant who is approved at the institution and getting a marriage license in Ontario. You will have to take your partner's ID to city hall and explain why he can't attend to sign the marriage license application there, and then you will have to take it in to have him sign, maybe take his ID back again. Kingston City Hall will accept his Federal Pisoner ID card plus a letter from his PO verifying his Identity and birthdate, ask them first exactly what the letter needs to say. If you want him to have a ring you will have to send it through A & D at least 3 weeks prior for approval.

We were able to plan it in short order as we just wanted the ceremony, I did not bring in a dress or want to get him a suit, have flowers and food brought in, try for a pfv etc. and my only guest was my Mom, who was already on his visitors list. He had about eight friends from the inside attend, brought down a cake which he had made from items purchased at canteen, coffee, etc, and even arranged for the chaplain to have a cd and music player available for us to have a dance together. It was very sweet, but only lasted a few hours, he still had to go back to his cell for count, and then I visited him during regular visiting hours.

Don't expect any help from the institution, they tend to be unsupportive, so you just have to be gently firm that inmates have the right to get married, and that you are going to arrange it. He will have to see to things from the inside, which I am sure he will know how to do if he asks around...getting married is popular enough that he should know someone inside who has been through it.

Good luck and pm me if you need the name of an officiant in the Kingston area.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anj2015 For This Useful Post:
irishcanuk (10-21-2011), Jeremy4ever (01-21-2012), May (11-29-2011)
Old 10-21-2011, 01:03 PM

Congratulations on your marriage he work and thanks for the info. The effort that your man put into making a special day is just lovely, much nicer then a conventional wedding. Thanks so much that really helps.

Cheers,

Last edited by irishcanuk; 10-21-2011 at 01:10 PM..
Old 10-28-2011, 08:37 AM
Home

awwww that was sweet, Congrats!
Old 11-06-2011, 04:22 PM

When I was at my last PFV, there was a bride going in with her mum and officient, it was a nice thing to see, she looked lovely. I wish her all the best..