Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > California Health Care Facility (CHCF)
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Health Care Facility (CHCF) Topics, Discussions and Information related to the California Health Care Facility

Old 01-25-2018, 08:16 PM

Alright, here’s how my story goes. BFF called me out of blue to tell me he was at CHCF. Said he has level 4 (I think) Kidney Failure. Dialysis 3x/week 4 days/s week. He is still up and moving around – even has a job pushing people to their various medical appointment. When he is getting dialysis they get to watch movies – He saw Wonderwoman, and I still haven’t.
He told me that at CHCF there is much less violence than other facilities. You aren’t going to have a bunch of really sick peopIe hittin’ each other, right? guess he ‘lives’ in a dorm. I have been to see him. Once at CHCF and the room was just a room. Lots of tables and chairs. Although I read somewhere that you could take in 1 & 5 bills, They searched to make sure that there was nothing but $1’s Vending machine pretty standard and a big area in the back – can get kinda cold. In person visit is as long as iy goes (3 I think) so you get a good amount of time – do make an appointment for whenever, I did early. I had ZERO wait time. ZERO. In the reception area you can buy tokens for $2/each.
So yes, people aren’t getting the best care in the world, but from my friend’s prevue, it isn’t terrible. He first told me “It isn’t the Holiday Inn, but it’s better than other places I’ve been”
So it is either better than you thought, or worse than I thought. My BFF may easily leave CHCF in a pine box from the Kidney failure, but right now, He’s getting good treatment. Blood tests all the time, Fluids around his heart, no prob. Maybe he’s lucky, but I sure hope that he’ll get out alive sometime in the next 10 years
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JustLilOlMe1012 For This Useful Post:
RedWoman76 (04-10-2018), TerrieDeWitte (09-23-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2018, 09:18 PM

Thank you for posting! Nice to know for those of us who haven’t gone yet. Good to know it could be worse for many of our loved ones there. And how it is from a visit perspective.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:43 PM

Thanked 1,251 Times in 520 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustLilOlMe1012 View Post
He told me that at CHCF there is much less violence than other facilities.

He first told me It isnt the Holiday Inn, but its better than other places Ive been
So it is either better than you thought, or worse than I thought. My BFF may easily leave CHCF in a pine box from the Kidney failure, but right now, Hes getting good treatment. Blood tests all the time, Fluids around his heart, no prob. Maybe hes lucky, but I sure hope that hell get out alive sometime in the next 10 years
Hope he does better than that.

I've visited 5 different CDCR facilities. Not bragging, just my reality. I agree with both of you. CHCF is significantly better than any I've seen. For inmates. For visitors. I'm glad he made it there.
The Following User Says Thank You to gvalliant For This Useful Post:
TerrieDeWitte (09-23-2018)
Old 02-04-2018, 10:20 PM

Question JPay coming?

My bff has been in CHCF for a loooong time. When I talked to him last week he told me that they were going to get JPay sometime in March and they would be able to communicate via e-mail for like $0.40 per message.

I know this is used elsewhere but I don't really know what's what. Anyone have experience with this, the info you get during 15 min on the phone or in a letter..never know what may have been "lost in translation"

Thanks so much!
K
Old 02-06-2018, 10:13 AM

Good point about misunderstandings online. Still sounds promising! At least they can learn how to use email for when they get out someday.
Old 02-16-2018, 06:16 PM

Default Son has just arrived there

My son is now at this prison...he is paralyzed from his armpits down and is in a single cell with a roll in shower....he says he only gets one visit a month from a doctor but the food is good...he has yard until 4pm daily and says the yard is for all levels of inmates....hope this helps
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to share For This Useful Post:
Tabookitty (02-17-2018), TerrieDeWitte (09-23-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 03:13 PM

Anyone know what facility A is here? My man's SNY too. That's all I could find out today from calling 916-445-6713, someone posted previously on this thread. He was moved sometime last week, I checked CDCR Website after not hearing from him for over a week. We normally talk every few days at least. So this move was unexpected....
Old 04-09-2018, 03:48 PM

Default Dont have much

But my bf told me last Thursday that they had a bus full of people come in (he called on a. Different day because it will be a little chaotic for a bit. Said they're busting at the seams. I'm flying up there for the weekend, will let you know if I hear anything
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JustLilOlMe1012 For This Useful Post:
RedWoman76 (04-09-2018), Tabookitty (04-09-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 11:58 AM

Wow! I got 2 calls from facility this morning! I don't know why he there, wont know till he calls me. It's been stressing me out and at least I know he gonna be ok.
One call from mailroom, the lady was nice, he got there 4/4. She gave me his mailing info but said he would be leaving approximately within a week and he is on medical side.
Then I got a call later from a Woman Lt., who mostly verified previous info. He cannot have Visits, which I hoped for, so his mom could go who is only 30 mins away. I kinda stressed her out too, enough so where she broke down crying and calling facility. I apologized for not just waiting till I had more info and got told, No! Let her know about her son's situations.
Feeling like I can breath now, gonna be waiting for his call..

Last edited by RedWoman76; 04-10-2018 at 12:09 PM..
Old 09-23-2018, 06:48 AM

Default Im sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by share View Post
My son is now at this prison...he is paralyzed from his armpits down and is in a single cell with a roll in shower....he says he only gets one visit a month from a doctor but the food is good...he has yard until 4pm daily and says the yard is for all levels of inmates....hope this helps
Im sorry to hear he is paralyzed- how horrible! I hope he has been able to have some peace and happiness there and can go home soon.
Isaiah 57:18 "I have seen his ways and will heal him: I will lead him also and restore comforts unto him and to his mourners."
Old 09-23-2018, 09:14 PM

Red face CHCF - Wheelchair bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerrieDeWitte View Post
Im sorry to hear he is paralyzed- how horrible! I hope he has been able to have some peace and happiness there and can go home soon.
I too am so sorry to hear. I would like to let you know that even if he only sees the Dr. 1x month. If something really serious comes up, they do take care of them.

A friend of mine has a position pushing wheelchair-bound inmates to their doctor appts. He actually has a few terrible conditions, but when he was very very sick a few weeks back, they took him to the closest hospital (that's what I mean about them taking care of the inmates) Can't comment on the food because he has a special diet.

I hope this will give you some peace of mind.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:51 PM

Default Phones, visits, etc?

I am told that my hubbie transferred here today. He will be on the non-medical side.

How are visits here? Are the CO's good? Is it laid back? Food?

What about the phone calls? Do the guys have good access to the phones? Are there sign-ups?

Does anyone know if they have to be on orientation before being allowed to call and have visits? or can they call right away?

Thanks for any help and advice you can provide!

Julia