Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Bureau of Prisons Covid -19 (Corona Virus) news & information.
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Bureau of Prisons Covid -19 (Corona Virus) news & information. Please use this forum to share information concerning Covid -19 in the Federal Prison System. Please do not discuss individuals who have the virus.

Old 08-02-2020, 03:53 PM

Default Quarantine= inhumane treatment

I really don't know how much more these guys can take. They are being treated like dogs. Now my son's unit has been on extreme lockdown for the past 3 weeks which they are calling quarantine because someone tested positive...that someone was not on his tier. Only allowed 20mins Mon,Weds, Fri out of their cells to take a shower and make a 5min phone call...IF the CO permits it at all which is often the case. In one instance, my son wasn't allowed to shower for 4 days.All this with no timeline...indefinite period of quarantine...with no generalized testing going. The ineptitude of this country is playing out in extremes in it's prisons resulting in inhumane treatment.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to toxicshock For This Useful Post:
AyaStar (08-03-2020), fbopnomore (08-02-2020)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2020, 04:10 PM
Donation Award 

Default Quarantine

Yes; I agree. Where is your LO? Mine has been in FLORENCE FCI MEDIUM around 10 days, no call! Something is wrong. There are a couple of positive cases there posted on BOP. I waited 8 days and called today they won't tell me anything. They said prisoners are allowed calls. I said is there a lockdown? They said not right now. I said well I have not heard from my son in 10 days and I sent a Western Union wire for 200 last Saturday. I asked about free 500 minute calls per month they said yes. SO I don't get why he is not calling it must be the CO not allowing calls and only out to shower due to the virus. Very frustrating not being able to communicate. I am sending a letter in mail tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicshock View Post
I really don't know how much more these guys can take. They are being treated like dogs. Now my son's unit has been on extreme lockdown for the past 3 weeks which they are calling quarantine because someone tested positive...that someone was not on his tier. Only allowed 20mins Mon,Weds, Fri out of their cells to take a shower and make a 5min phone call...IF the CO permits it at all which is often the case. In one instance, my son wasn't allowed to shower for 4 days.All this with no timeline...indefinite period of quarantine...with no generalized testing going. The ineptitude of this country is playing out in extremes in it's prisons resulting in inhumane treatment.
Old 08-02-2020, 04:16 PM

Quote:
My LO has been in quarantine 4 weeks tomorrow. They've stopped testing and, if they go 10 days without symptoms, they're considered "recovered!" The staff, at
FCI Seagoville, keeps saying they'll go back to their units "sooner rather than later." It upsets me to hear the growing frustration in his voice. I try to console him but the "right" words just aren't there.
My prayers for you, your Loved One, and all families dealing with Covid in prison!
do97jdl (08-10-2020)
Old 08-02-2020, 04:36 PM

One call in 6 months. Less than 5 minutes.

How much more can they socially distance these guys?
Old 08-02-2020, 04:46 PM

My LO is in FCI Edgefield..possibly one of the least transparent FCI's even before covid hit. My biggest fear is that the bop is using the covid situation to punish inmates without any accountability...more than usual. It's an untenable situation. They'll just say they have to take extreme precautions to mitigate the spread of the virus. It's a pretense for poor treatment of inmates.
It's been a week since I've heard from my LO, but the stress of prolonged confinement is really taking a toll on his mental state based on what few phone calls I'm getting and letters he sends. The bop is taking advantage of this situation that is not in accordance with humane treatment.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to toxicshock For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (08-02-2020), John M (08-02-2020), nene_510 (08-02-2020)
Old 08-02-2020, 09:21 PM

My LO is at USP Pollock. They can't call in the quarantine unit at all & have no access to computers. It's been 9 whole days. He's not big on writing letters but I hope he will since that's the only way for us to communicate now.
Old 08-02-2020, 10:34 PM
Donation Award 

Default 4 weeks in quarantine??

4 Weeks in Quarantine? WHY? Stopped Testing? WHY? unreal. Thanks for the prayers. I feel there needs to be a third party oversight to inspect the federal prisoners and results reported to the public like on the BOP site daily statistics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John M View Post
My LO has been in quarantine 4 weeks tomorrow. They've stopped testing and, if they go 10 days without symptoms, they're considered "recovered!" The staff, at
FCI Seagoville, keeps saying they'll go back to their units "sooner rather than later." It upsets me to hear the growing frustration in his voice. I try to console him but the "right" words just aren't there.
My prayers for you, your Loved One, and all families dealing with Covid in prison!
The Following User Says Thank You to YOGA62 For This Useful Post:
AyaStar (08-03-2020)
Old 08-03-2020, 08:02 AM

Dear all,
My heart goes out to you and especially your loved ones. I had the same experience earlier in the pandemic, not hearing from my LO for nearly a month, calls to the facility were fruitless.

I starting writing letters, daily, and sent books through Amazon. then quickly received letters from my LO telling me that the reasons for no calls are 1) the PAC # from the counselor was missing one digit, 2) they got only 15 minutes MWF to shower and use the phones, lines for both are long. Also that my letters and books were great emotional support and provided much needed ways to make the long days go just a bit faster.

Money on their books help. Lockdowns reduced kitchen work force, also food supply, so meal quality is not good lately. Being able to supplement with commissary purchases make their lives just a bit easier, even if purchase limit has been reduced since the pandemic started.

Stay strong, and don't let the ill-spirited system take pleasure in our misery! Live Well!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AyaStar For This Useful Post:
do97jdl (08-10-2020), fbopnomore (08-03-2020), Hurley123 (08-07-2020), John M (08-03-2020), natalie808 (08-14-2020)
Old 08-05-2020, 01:12 PM

Default Carswell

This is also happening with the women at Carswell, and they have had 4 inmate deaths due to Covid, they are eating bagged meals for the last month plus. My LO's release date is Oct. 2, she has been in for almost 8 years, she told me the last two weeks before you are released, you live outside in tents, shower's are also outside, and you must have 2 negative tests before released. She tested positive in early July. It's insane and inhumane.

Quote:
Old 08-05-2020, 01:13 PM

Default testing..

Added Note: My loved one also tested positive, and if you follow the BOP numbers they went from over 500 positives to now they have around 125. I asked her, how do they know if you are recovered, are they testing you again, and she said no. So where are these recovered numbers coming from????

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZNasty6612 View Post
This is also happening with the women at Carswell, and they have had 4 inmate deaths due to Covid, they are eating bagged meals for the last month plus. My LO's release date is Oct. 2, she has been in for almost 8 years, she told me the last two weeks before you are released, you live outside in tents, shower's are also outside, and you must have 2 negative tests before released. She tested positive in early July. It's insane and inhumane.
Old 08-05-2020, 04:30 PM
Donation Award 

Check out the BOP website and statistics. Here is one link. I check daily the news section which shows all the deaths and also the locations. My LO at Florence FCI has 2 positive cases for inmates and 2 for staff.

08/05/2020 - The BOP has 128,375 federal inmates in BOP-managed institutions and 13,675 in community-based facilities. The BOP staff complement is approximately 36,000. There are 1,807 federal inmates and 531 BOP staff who have confirmed positive test results for COVID-19 nationwide. Currently, 8,931 inmates and 751 staff have recovered. There have been 108 federal inmate deaths and 1 BOP staff member death attributed to COVID-19 disease. Of the inmate deaths, 4 occurred while on home confinement. Full breakdown and additional details ...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YOGA62 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (08-05-2020), toxicshock (08-06-2020)
Old 08-05-2020, 04:31 PM
Donation Award 

Default BOP Web Site

https://www.bop.gov
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YOGA62 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (08-05-2020), toxicshock (08-06-2020)
Old 08-05-2020, 06:59 PM

Default Carswell /early release

Quote:

She should qualify for early release /home confinement per AG Barr's 4/3 memo. Is there anyway you could call the warden, or better, call the public defenders office near Carswell to see if they can help. or call FAMM in DC, they can try and match you up with pro bono lawyers for that.

famm.org
Old 08-07-2020, 01:08 AM

Default Rights are being violated!!

My LO has been in quarantine for more than 40 days now!!! He has never been given any results to testing!! He has never gotten sick!! He gets 1 sheet of paper and 1 envelope each week!!! No phone!! No other contact! I am getting more and more anxious each passing day!! I hired a lawyer day before yesterday to look into this! Yesterday I sent a dated and time stamped letter demanding to get a response!! They cannot be allowed to get away with this inhumane treatment!! He said they only feed them a sac lunch about the size of half a happy meal. He said he is starving!! He's lost all the fat off his body, not that he had much to begin with, that guy works out like crazy!! I can tell from his one page letter that he is beyond stressed, what this is doing to his mind.....it's heartbreaking
The Following User Says Thank You to Hurley123 For This Useful Post:
YOGA62 (08-07-2020)
Old 08-07-2020, 07:52 AM

Default 40+ days in quarantine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurley123 View Post
My LO has been in quarantine for more than 40 days now!!! He has never been given any results to testing!! He has never gotten sick!! He gets 1 sheet of paper and 1 envelope each week!!! No phone!! No other contact! I am getting more and more anxious each passing day!! I hired a lawyer day before yesterday to look into this! Yesterday I sent a dated and time stamped letter demanding to get a response!! They cannot be allowed to get away with this inhumane treatment!! He said they only feed them a sac lunch about the size of half a happy meal. He said he is starving!! He's lost all the fat off his body, not that he had much to begin with, that guy works out like crazy!! I can tell from his one page letter that he is beyond stressed, what this is doing to his mind.....it's heartbreaking
That is absolutely wrong! you are doing all the right things. I've also found that the local public defenders office often has the most current information, even if your LO does not qualify to have a public defender.

Working out is one of the best things you LO can do. It keeps body and mind both strong!
Old 08-07-2020, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Added Note: My loved one also tested positive, and if you follow the BOP numbers they went from over 500 positives to now they have around 125. I asked her, how do they know if you are recovered, are they testing you again, and she said no. So where are these recovered numbers coming from????
...that is a very good question. If they're not retesting for negative they can only go by whether the person is displaying symptoms...which they don't sometimes with this virus so they could be exposing others when they are still infectious. Or they are simply estimating an amount of time to wait the virus lifecycle out. Are any of your LO's getting masks?

Hurley123 ...that's an insane amount of time! They must be in one of the FCI's that is experiencing a peak infection rate similar to what Edgefield is going through now and why I have not heard from LO (just got the letter telling me he was not allowed to call for the next two weeks). It just doesn't sound like this is being handled with any competency. I'm hearing nothing about this in the media.
Old 08-07-2020, 07:22 PM

Default Masks, yes

Quote:
...that is a very good question. If they're not retesting for negative they can only go by whether the person is displaying symptoms...which they don't sometimes with this virus so they could be exposing others when they are still infectious. Or they are simply estimating an amount of time to wait the virus lifecycle out. Are any of your LO's getting masks?

Hurley123 ...that's an insane amount of time! They must be in one of the FCI's that is experiencing a peak infection rate similar to what Edgefield is going through now and why I have not heard from LO (just got the letter telling me he was not allowed to call for the next two weeks). It just doesn't sound like this is being handled with any competency. I'm hearing nothing about this in the media.

Yes, my LO said that they are required to wear masks while in public locations, i.e. common room.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AyaStar For This Useful Post:
do97jdl (08-10-2020), toxicshock (08-09-2020)
Old 08-07-2020, 09:43 PM

Interesting article...NOW they are introducing legislation to look in the BOPs handling of COVID...Seagoville FCI had staggering numbers and hopefully will be scrutinized for allowing it to get so out of hand.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/walterp.../#2c298a97326f
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bsbspouse For This Useful Post:
do97jdl (08-10-2020), Throwaway11 (08-08-2020), toxicshock (08-09-2020)
Old 08-08-2020, 10:36 AM
Donation Award 

[quote=Bsbspouse;7824649]Interesting article...NOW they are introducing legislation to look in the BOPs handling of COVID...Seagoville FCI had staggering numbers and hopefully will be scrutinized for allowing it to get so out of hand.

Another interesting article from cnn this morning about seagoville as well.

Cant link url do t have enough posts yet. But if somebody could link it Id appreciate it. It goes further about BOP and short comings

Wouldnt this be a great time to bring back federal parole? Forget the cares act.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Throwaway11 For This Useful Post:
Bsbspouse (08-08-2020), toxicshock (08-09-2020)
Old 08-08-2020, 11:12 AM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 23,978 Times in 13,762 Posts

Here's the link to the CNN article "Inside the federal prison where three out of every four inmates have tested positive for coronavirus".
https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/08/us/fe...nvs/index.html

"The Texas lockup where Giannetta spent his last days has emerged as the hardest-hit federal prison in the United States. More than 1,300 of the roughly 1,750 prisoners at FCI Seagoville prison and camp have tested positive for the virus, according to data from the federal Bureau of Prisons -- a stunning three out of every four inmates. So far, three inmates at the prison, including Giannetta, have died from Covid-19".

In a message denying his request for compassionate release, the prison's (Seagoville) warden wrote that "at this time COVID-19 is not considered extraordinary compelling circumstances" under the BOP's compassionate release policy, inmate George Reagan told CNN".

Last edited by fbopnomore; 08-08-2020 at 11:29 AM..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fbopnomore For This Useful Post:
AyaStar (08-08-2020), Bsbspouse (08-08-2020), Throwaway11 (08-08-2020), toxicshock (08-09-2020)
Old 08-08-2020, 01:36 PM

Quote:
I spoke with a lawyer yesterday too. Even though we should all know by know that lawyers are most of the problem....
Old 08-09-2020, 01:01 AM

He is not in a FCI, he's in a USP. Which he shouldn't even be there as his points are now at FCI level. I haven't heard a word from him. No letter this week. I know he's still in isolation or he would have called me first chance he got. I don't know if they are holding his mail. I don't know if he received the correspondence from his lawyer, or any of the mail I've sent him. I'm hoping he used his one piece of paper and 1 envelope to contact the lawyer! How can they get away with feeding them so little??? THIS IS INHUMANE!!! It is breaking my heart to think of him starving in there, alone, not knowing that I'm fighting for him........THIS IS NOT RIGHT!!!
Old 08-09-2020, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyaStar View Post
That is absolutely wrong! you are doing all the right things. I've also found that the local public defenders office often has the most current information, even if your LO does not qualify to have a public defender.

Working out is one of the best things you LO can do. It keeps body and mind both strong!
@AyaStar, thank you, I have been calling the PD office everyday. No return calls from her...
Old 08-09-2020, 02:14 AM

You kind of have to hope someone is queasy enough or finds the food repulsive enough and is able to pass it to someone else. That is pretty shitty, even when we are not in a pandemic. I just can't get over the food reduction and yet ordering packages are considered essential, yet real wages or hazard pay for inmate workers isn't. Very odd. All while guards go to parties and come back to work. Curious. Who is the real criminal and public safety concern here and now....

It is very hard to send humans relief and emergency packages when you don't know who needs them because they are being hidden and isolated. This is a time when we need more communication, not less. These prisons and jails triple dipping is getting old.

Last edited by frees; 08-09-2020 at 02:52 AM.. Reason: blood money; we don't support torture.
Old 08-09-2020, 10:00 AM

Default Federal defenders office

Quote:
@AyaStar, thank you, I have been calling the PD office everyday. No return calls from her...
Federal public defenders office, sometimes called "community defenders", are the ones I was referring to. State and country PDs are not quite up to the standard.

All the best!
The Following User Says Thank You to AyaStar For This Useful Post:
Hurley123 (08-10-2020)