Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Criminal Immigration Issues
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Criminal Immigration Issues Dealing with INS and other related issues.

Old 04-26-2007, 08:47 PM

Default Should I be concerned?

I got a questionable email back from the parole board today about my fiance (I emailed them a month ago) -

"We understand Mr. Gallejes has been removed from the Boot Camp program due to his questionable alien status. When a final decision regarding possible parole is rendered he will be so informed and he will be able to notify you. In the event he is not paroled, he may expect to be discharged from prison at the expiration of his sentence which, according to the latest information we have received from the Ga. Dept of Corrections is May 12, 2008.

Thank you for writing. We trust this information will prove helpful to you."

He was scheduled to go to bootcamp for 90 days b/c he had 11 months already served, but they sent him to prison instead & set his TPM for June. Should I take this email as them saying he won't be paroled, or what? I went down to the parole board in March and stood in front of one of the hearing examiners and told her that he was illegal, which they already knew, because that is why the judge would not grant him probation. I had his visa application receipt letter in my hand. That lady told me it didn't matter, that his status will not affect his eligiblity for parole, but INS may pick him up when he is paroled. I sure as heck rather that happen than him have to max out in another year. I also went to the DOC in person and talked to a supervisor and she also told me that his status didn't matter to them, that INS will deal with that if they want to. When he was in diagnostics the parole board told him he should be paroled by june/july b/c he'd have 14 months out of 2 years served. I'm just wondering why this email didn't mention anything about June. When I called the prison last week to see if he had an INS hold on him she said no and that their system shows he should be paroled in June. I'm half way mentally prepared to head to mexico, we're not prepared for him to have to serve another year. Should I be worried or not?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2007, 09:00 PM

I have heard that they do not let anyone illegal or someone they are not sure of go to camp. On my husbands paper work it says no next to camp, due to INS hold.

It sounds like they are going to make a decision on his parole, and it may be because they are not sure of his status. So if they find he is illegal he may have to serve his complete sentence. If not maybe he will be paroled. This is all so confusing and no one seems to know anything that makes much sense. I hope he is paroled-but what will happen if he is. Will he be able to get his paper work to stay here? I don't trust the us, or INS, he could get paroled, report and be picked up again. I hope this all works out. I am sure someone on here can give you a much better answer.

Old 04-27-2007, 12:28 AM
Banned

The federal system did not allow non-citizens to go to boot camp, so maybe now some states are implementing the same policy.

But, the California C.D.C. had lots of not "boot camps," but private facilities and fire camps that non-citizens were not supposed to go to (non-citizens are supposed to go to only Level III or higher facilities), and this "rule" has not been followed. In other words, what the rule is and what is done are often different.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:16 AM
I am back yet again

OMG hugggssss to you, i hope that you find out real soon...i know that this time is so hard....waiting and not knowing is the hardest thing i have ever been through....just know that this is almost over and you all will be together when the time is right...hang in their...i wish i had some idea of what is going on but were are talking about the DOC and they dont even know what they are doing most of the time...esp. when it comes to INS. Keep us updated as you find out more info.