Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ARIZONA > Arizona Prisons & Jail Specific Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Arizona Prisons & Jail Specific Discussions This forum covers topics & discussions specific to Jails and Prisons located throughout the State of Arizona.

Old 10-31-2019, 10:30 PM

Default Anyone have any experience with Ascp Yuma Dakota Unit IHP?

My son is on this unit. Itís been 2 months in IHP. No response for schooling, inmate letters or religious services. He is very frustrated and has 11 years to go. It doesnít seem to be anything that they promised when he signed up for IHP. Anyone having the same experience with their LO? Please feel free to share. I have called them and nothing ever gets done. Gotta love the system
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2019, 08:57 AM

IHP isn't part of the unit name.
My husband is there too and signed up for IHP as well. Pretty much means nothing. Only thing that benefitted from it was he got his phase level back instantly instead of having to wait like a year or whatever. Calling has never got anything done.
My man has been there for 5 months and the CO's have changed a lot so anytime he gets answer from one CO it changes and the new CO says something different.
He can sign up for the classes several times and get no response.
My man had to have someone he knew in a class tell the teaching CO his information for her to put him on the list but she said the class was full so he needs to wait for the next cycle which his specific program takes 8 months.

I know IHP has special food visits as well.
He might benefit better once on a different yard. My man was on partial IHP on a 3 yard before and it benefitted him more than being on full IHP on a 4 yard.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ricoluv29 For This Useful Post:
Pamelaspeach (11-07-2019)
Old 11-03-2019, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamelaspeach View Post
My son is on this unit. Itís been 2 months in IHP. No response for schooling, inmate letters or religious services. He is very frustrated and has 11 years to go. It doesnít seem to be anything that they promised when he signed up for IHP. Anyone having the same experience with their LO? Please feel free to share. I have called them and nothing ever gets done. Gotta love the system
IHP is a court order that has to be abided by DOC. It's about housing with other races. The "perks" for signing was not being phase 1 forever. Also more visit time, more food visits, the promise of tablets which Yuma is supposed to get June 2020. Video game time etc. My husband did 10 years on a 3 yard and had 1 class the entire time. He said its because he wasn't a priority. Guys doing long stretches are not top priority. He went to a 2 yard last December and finally got into a class, which he just completed. My husband still has court mandated drug classes he has to do. He said he probably won't get to take those until the last year of incarceration. Your son probably won't get much until he gets to a 3 yard or lower. You however can call or write the warden and ask questions. It always seems to help if they know there is someone on the outside
The Following User Says Thank You to CharleysGirl For This Useful Post:
Pamelaspeach (11-07-2019)
Old 11-07-2019, 01:30 AM

Thank you yet again for your information I am beginning to see that and also talked with the prison education head person and she told me the same thing. It seems a damn shame that they donít use this time for reforming and education. My son has 11 more years and is so frustrated. He is trying to do good and get his education and no one seems to care. The political bs is off his back but now he canít get an education. It seems very poorly run. Itís a damn shame.
Old 11-07-2019, 09:11 AM

I hope he stays strong and focused. Always remind him to just keep trying. Keep putting in for classes even if he hears nothing for awhile. Maybe try to send him his own books on specific education topics. Even though it wont give him a certificate or anything it can help his brain continue being filled with knowledge.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ricoluv29 For This Useful Post:
Pamelaspeach (11-13-2019)
Old 11-07-2019, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamelaspeach View Post
Thank you yet again for your information I am beginning to see that and also talked with the prison education head person and she told me the same thing. It seems a damn shame that they donít use this time for reforming and education. My son has 11 more years and is so frustrated. He is trying to do good and get his education and no one seems to care. The political bs is off his back but now he canít get an education. It seems very poorly run. Itís a damn shame.
It is very poorly run, not just Yuma but the whole system. No, they aren't interested in rehabilitation only money. We are all hoping the new director does something postive for our LO'S, but who knows? His track record at BOP isn't great. I do know that correspondence classes are available thru Rio Saldo but I'm not sure of the process. I know when my husband applied years ago he was denied a scholarship so he didn't apply again. So he's been working out and laying low for the past 10 years. Hopefully your son will find a hobby to pass the time.
Old 11-13-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoluv29 View Post
I hope he stays strong and focused. Always remind him to just keep trying. Keep putting in for classes even if he hears nothing for awhile. Maybe try to send him his own books on specific education topics. Even though it wont give him a certificate or anything it can help his brain continue being filled with knowledge.

Thank you . I told him the exact same thing. That is what we will focus on next. Creating a learning annex through self teaching!
He is very focused and Iím told him the squeaky wheel more than likely gets heard. I call him Julie from the love boat because he always planning and doing what propels him forward.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pamelaspeach For This Useful Post:
Ricoluv29 (11-15-2019)