Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to the Federal Prison & the Criminal Justice System that do not fit into any other Federal sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 06-23-2019, 01:43 PM

Post What is it like in a Federal facility for elderly female inmates?

My wife just got sentenced and we are looking for answers to many questions about what she can expect. What is it like for elderly female federal inmates? Will she be able to stay in Florida? Are there any good forums or websites I can get helpful advice for her? How long does it take BOP to come to the jail to get her once she is sentenced?
What is it like for women in prison?
How much money will she need for commissary each month?
Thanks for your response.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2019, 05:53 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,825 Times in 13,134 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk. Here are the bop prisons that house female inmates.
https://www.bop.gov/locations/map.js...dScope=gfemale

Be sure to check the 37 page PTO female prison camps Sticky for information on what to expect.
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/sho...=50568&page=37

The federal prison forums have much information too.
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=186

If she is allowed to self surrender by her sentencing judge (be sure her lawyer requests it) she will wait at home, usually for a month or two, and then be told when and where to report.

Commissary, phones and email are somewhat complicated. The monthly commissary spending limit is around $325.00 (stamps, over the counter medications, phones and email don't count against the limit) but she won't need nearly that much after her first few months when she will need to buy a radio (for the TV audio), athletic shoes, sweatsuit, etc. Phone is limited to 300 minutes/month and costs 6 cents/min ( if you have a cellphone with a number that is a local call to the prison) or 21 cents/min for all other prepaid calls. Email costs 5 cents/min whenever she is logged into the system to read or write messages.

Ask any other questions that come up. Federal prisons have a steep learning curve,
Old 10-17-2019, 12:20 PM

I'm looking for some answers to a particular situation. My girlfriend was on parole and absconded from the halfway house. They gave her a 6 month hit while incarcerated she was randomly stripped searched and they found her Suboxone pills on her they gave her 30 days in the hole. What should we expect as far as her release date is concerned
Old 10-17-2019, 01:52 PM

I can talk about a 40+ year old but shes in california. I have learned a whole lot in the last year.
Old 10-17-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by candc5449 View Post
Well it was tough. But not as tough as jail fighting the case. The low lows and doubt and drama around a case is totally the worst. The jail system in los angeles is terrible too compared to prison.

jail - no sun - lots of lock up - unstable characters - limited everything - massive doubt and drama.

reception - like a "pre" prison - this is a waiting period to classify security levels and get the inmate to where they will spend their time. This is bad because I was only given 1 15min call with my wife a month! She managed to hustle jobs and stuff and it got better. But they enjoy 1/2 commissary spend, and visits are only on sunday through glass for 1 hour! Thats crazy considering i rode up 250 miles to see her.

Prison - shes getting sorted now in another facility. This is like a campus. Most things open all day and she can go around and take classes and fill out paperwork to get things like her teeth cleaned? visits are contact and sat and sun all day. Its like a high school they have to live at. Its weird so far.

camp - my girl is going to a fire camp. That will be the next experience.

I also can tell you about the transport, risks and all kinds of other fun stuff now that I have been educated to this level....

There's a few other guys here that are EXCELLENT at support and have helped me so much I don't know what the hell I would have done without. So pay respect and they will be there for you. There's not alot of us but we help each other best we can. Reach out any time.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to studebaker71 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (10-17-2019), patchouli (10-18-2019)
Old 10-17-2019, 03:01 PM
Until the end

Quote:
Originally Posted by candc5449 View Post
My wife just got sentenced and we are looking for answers to many questions about what she can expect. What is it like for elderly female federal inmates? Will she be able to stay in Florida? Are there any good forums or websites I can get helpful advice for her? How long does it take BOP to come to the jail to get her once she is sentenced?
Don't have any experience on BOP prisons. Just state, and it's very docile in her dorm, but it really depends on the prison and the state.

My wife uses $100 a month (that's plenty enough) in commissary for food and hygiene. An occasional expense when her shoes wear out, etc.
Old 11-08-2019, 03:06 PM

If your elderly female inmate has medical issues, she would have to be designated to a "Care Level 2" or higher facility. Medical in the BOP is hit and miss. Some places are very good about medical care (Butner, Rochester, Sandstone), and other places will let you get so bad that you're knocking on death's door before they lift a finger to help (Englewood and Terre Haute).

The BOP will do their best to honor a Judge's recommendation as to where to house an inmate. However, at the end of the day, security and inmate needs trump all. If your loved one is higher security, has more than basic medical needs, or has certain "Public Safety Factors" in her designation, then the BOP may have to place her in a facility to meet those needs - even if it's not very close to home.

About commissary, every facility has its own spending limits. But generally what I've seen is a spending limit of $360/month. Each BOP facility has a commissary list posted on its BOP web page, but most of these lists are outdated and several years old.

There will be a lot of up-front costs to get started. A combination lock for about $5, basic hygiene and shower sandals (about $10-$20), a radio (about $30-$50), and/or an MP3 player (about $90), a wristwatch (about $25-$60), some personal undergarments and recreational clothing (about $40-$60), paper, envelopes and stamps (about $12), a bowl and utensils for eating commissary food (about $8), OTC medicines (about $6), a pair of running shoes (about $50-$90), and of course a variety of drink mixes, sodas, ramen noodles, processed meats and cheeses, crackers, chips, snack cakes, etc.

But once she gets the one-time purchases handled, it'll just be cosumables and money for phone calls and emails. About $200 a month would probably be enough to keep her comfortable.

Female facilities generally tend to be less violent than male facilities. But that's "generally". Women can be rough and tough too. But as a matter of respect, inmates anywhere don't mess with the elderly. It makes them look bad. A Female Medium is equal to a Male Low facility. So anything Female Medium or lower should be pretty easy, safe time.

Best of luck to you both!

Last edited by bourret.brandon; 11-08-2019 at 03:10 PM..