Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > California Fire Camps
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Fire Camps Topics, Discussions and Information relating to California Fire Camps.

Old 10-10-2019, 03:10 PM

Default Possible fire camp enrolled!

Well I got a call from my girl. Unannounced they woke her up at CCWF and transported her to CIW and she is in the fire module now. They don't tend to say much to them, just move them and then they are in the module and everyone says "yeah you are in the forest service module"...

Does anyone know the deal?

Does any different percentages kick in right away?

I don't know if I can visit her, she says yes but the site and the data I see says that I need to do another visitor form?

Maybe this should be in the CIW thread? I don't know because shes in CIW, but in the forest service dorm or building or module or whatever. She hasn't had much info or way to speak to me, not much at all.

Thanks for any info anyone can share!
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2019, 03:17 PM
Green Eyed Monster

Dude, I have no answers for you but this seems like it is good news!

This is from an attorney website so I don't know the validity of it...

There are four main benefits of fire camp. First, one is relocated to one of 43 fire camps state wide, at which both adult males and females are allowed to have conjugal visits, and, as a side benefit, one is moved from the local jail (i.e. Pitchess). There are three “conservation (fire) camps” just for females. The 40 remaining camps are for adult male prisoners and one is for juvenile offenders.

Each camp has at least 85 firefighters ready to fight fires. They are most commonly housed in five cabins with 17 people per cabin. The juvenile camp usually has 80 firefighters. Each camp also has support personnel to assist in the logistics and supplies for the firefighters.

Second, the inmate does earn a small amount of money, which is minimal (about $10 per day), but it can add up. The inmate also does earn a minimum of two-for-one custody credits.

However, the work is tough. It includes clearing fire breaks, loading sandbags for future uses, restoring historical areas, maintaining parks and clearing dead, dry brush that is a fire hazard.

Third, since Prop 57 came into effect on May 1, 2017, a person serving time for a violent offense assigned to fire camp can earn up to 50% credit. This means for each two days served at fire camp, once one completes fire fighting school, the person receives credit for three days. So, for each two months at fire camp, the person receives an extra month of credit. This can add up fast and help reduce the total time in custody by quite a lot.

If a person is in prison serving time for a non-violent offense, that person can earn up to 66% credit, which means for each three days served in fire camp, that person gets credit for five days in custody. After three months, the person would have credit for five months.

Fourth, and perhaps most importantly, upon completion of one’s term, one receives a fireman certification that can help the individual find a job. In fact, the State of California, in limited areas, will hire a fireman with a felony record.

https://www.greghillassociates.com/w...-benefits.html

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4Bobby For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (10-11-2019), studebaker71 (10-10-2019)
Old 10-10-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Bobby View Post
Dude, I have no answers for you but this seems like it is good news!

This is from an attorney website so I don't know the validity of it...

There are four main benefits of fire camp. First, one is relocated to one of 43 fire camps state wide, at which both adult males and females are allowed to have conjugal visits, and, as a side benefit, one is moved from the local jail (i.e. Pitchess). There are three “conservation (fire) camps” just for females. The 40 remaining camps are for adult male prisoners and one is for juvenile offenders.

Each camp has at least 85 firefighters ready to fight fires. They are most commonly housed in five cabins with 17 people per cabin. The juvenile camp usually has 80 firefighters. Each camp also has support personnel to assist in the logistics and supplies for the firefighters.

Second, the inmate does earn a small amount of money, which is minimal (about $10 per day), but it can add up. The inmate also does earn a minimum of two-for-one custody credits.

However, the work is tough. It includes clearing fire breaks, loading sandbags for future uses, restoring historical areas, maintaining parks and clearing dead, dry brush that is a fire hazard.

Third, since Prop 57 came into effect on May 1, 2017, a person serving time for a violent offense assigned to fire camp can earn up to 50% credit. This means for each two days served at fire camp, once one completes fire fighting school, the person receives credit for three days. So, for each two months at fire camp, the person receives an extra month of credit. This can add up fast and help reduce the total time in custody by quite a lot.

If a person is in prison serving time for a non-violent offense, that person can earn up to 66% credit, which means for each three days served in fire camp, that person gets credit for five days in custody. After three months, the person would have credit for five months.

Fourth, and perhaps most importantly, upon completion of one’s term, one receives a fireman certification that can help the individual find a job. In fact, the State of California, in limited areas, will hire a fireman with a felony record.

https://www.greghillassociates.com/w...-benefits.html
I was reading her percentage will drop to 33% in camp. I don't know but weird thing is her parole eligible date is Feb anyways. So I don't know the total details. She is a seriously hard working girl already, and she doesn't do anything to get in trouble, this event was not from her looking for trouble at all. I hope it works out and she gets the training and gets through. I will love to see that shes getting some time out and in the nature as well as invigorating physical exercise. Shes one of the toughest souls I know already, I think the fires are probably going to be scared of her if she' s out there.

Hope someone knows the deal on visitation and all that. I want to know what to do coming up this and further weekends.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:38 PM
Green Eyed Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by studebaker71 View Post
I was reading her percentage will drop to 33% in camp. I don't know but weird thing is her parole eligible date is Feb anyways. So I don't know the total details. She is a seriously hard working girl already, and she doesn't do anything to get in trouble, this event was not from her looking for trouble at all. I hope it works out and she gets the training and gets through. I will love to see that shes getting some time out and in the nature as well as invigorating physical exercise. Shes one of the toughest souls I know already, I think the fires are probably going to be scared of her if she' s out there.

Hope someone knows the deal on visitation and all that. I want to know what to do coming up this and further weekends.
Have faith, dear.

The Following User Says Thank You to 4Bobby For This Useful Post:
studebaker71 (10-11-2019)
Old 10-11-2019, 05:49 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 31,453 Times in 15,687 Posts

you should not need a new visitor application, your approval should follow to any facility she lands in.
As to if you can visit her now she may be in orientation, and not allowed visits. Its ALOT less time like maybe a week or so? 10days? Something like that.
Then you can visit when she's not working.
But someone pipe in here if this wrong. The whole fire thing may be different. Im not sure.

That's my dog's nose art

Old 10-11-2019, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewalker View Post
you should not need a new visitor application, your approval should follow to any facility she lands in.
As to if you can visit her now she may be in orientation, and not allowed visits. Its ALOT less time like maybe a week or so? 10days? Something like that.
Then you can visit when she's not working.
But someone pipe in here if this wrong. The whole fire thing may be different. Im not sure.
I'm wondering if I should ride down there this weekend or not. I cant find any information and shes saying to try but jeeze. I have been riding to fresno every weekend forever not missing one weekend that I am home so far. Matter of fact shes been down a full calendar year by the 16th and I have went every week to see her county and Fresno this whole time. Only one time I went to Fresno and they turned me away. She was in reception and I went on a Saturday. I am suspecting they are going to turn me away, she was just arrived in CIW from CCWF the 9th.
Old 10-12-2019, 06:10 AM

Donation Award 

Actually now that Im thinkin about it, if she's in school and not in an actual fire camp, I'd bet she has weekends off. (til she gets to a fire camp, then I am not sure at all how visits are handled)
But I'd still guess she will have to go thru orientation, and I dont think she can have visits til after that part is over. Let us know what happens if you would so you could share with others

That's my dog's nose art

Old 10-12-2019, 09:39 PM

Well I rode down today and I am very thankful I did. The visit form followed and they let me in. They also made a mistake and allowed us contact. I didn’t know what the deal was but it was amazing. They admitted it a mistake after about 3 hours. Before this the last time we talked without a phone, touched each other, kids hug anything was oct16 last year. I’ll say it was surprising and I almost passed out twice! They are classifying her Monday and committee is Thursday so by time I go again it will either be contact or she will be off to this camp training.

Crazy day. I’m worn out from it. I honestly have thoughts that it was not real.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to studebaker71 For This Useful Post:
4Bobby (10-14-2019), maytayah (11-09-2019), sidewalker (10-13-2019)
Old 10-13-2019, 10:28 AM

Donation Award 

Good, I am glad that you got to visit and that they messed up and gave her a contact visit. I'd have guess it was supposed to be a thru the glass visit but regardless........glad you got to see her. Fantastic!

That's my dog's nose art

The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
studebaker71 (10-14-2019)
Old 10-14-2019, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewalker View Post
Good, I am glad that you got to visit and that they messed up and gave her a contact visit. I'd have guess it was supposed to be a thru the glass visit but regardless........glad you got to see her. Fantastic!
Yeah and we finished our visit through glass. And let me tell you, the glass at CIW ain’t no joke.

1’x1’ with wire in it
She’s in a metal cage on the other side.
The cage has a 6” horizontal opening in front of the window!

It’s inhuman. It’s really really not something even for animals. It’s embarrassing we treat humans this way really. I can’t believe that.

So we chose not to do the Sunday visit. I would have come down Sunday and any day to see her but that condition was terrible and she started having PTSD from being in that cage a few minutes so we cancelled after an hour of that.

We are really hoping the committee is done this week for her to get real visits on the books.
The Following User Says Thank You to studebaker71 For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (10-14-2019)
Old 10-14-2019, 08:14 AM

Donation Award 

I know, it was the same way when I visited my hub while in reception at SQ.
He did ok with the confines.

It did hurt like hell when they came to get him and he had to put his hands thru this slot in back of him so they could cuff him.
Its really overkill.

That's my dog's nose art

Old 10-14-2019, 08:50 AM

Thanked 1,556 Times in 645 Posts

Chino is old and the non-contact visits are sh***ty little cages on inmate side. Worst non-contact I've seen in any old or new prisons thus far.

She caught a good break getting fire camp. If her EPRD is February, they will only get a short time out of her. Usually don't put people in camp if their time is too short (or too long). We are going into fire season so they could use the hands even if only for a few months.

Her 33% time will not kick in till she is done training. Improvement on her release date will be minimal. She will be doing something interesting and useful which is a good thing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gvalliant For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (10-14-2019), studebaker71 (10-14-2019)
Old 10-14-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvalliant View Post
Chino is old and the non-contact visits are sh***ty little cages on inmate side. Worst non-contact I've seen in any old or new prisons thus far.

She caught a good break getting fire camp. If her EPRD is February, they will only get a short time out of her. Usually don't put people in camp if their time is too short (or too long). We are going into fire season so they could use the hands even if only for a few months.

Her 33% time will not kick in till she is done training. Improvement on her release date will be minimal. She will be doing something interesting and useful which is a good thing.
Yeah she told me that this week, today she sees counselor, and then Thursday is committee day. She told me that they start them training really fast like the very next week if all goes well. I am praying every day for her. This is kinda the last mile of things and when she gets through this I guess that will be the last placement she will have before running her time out and coming home. Its bad enough shes stuck, but the amount of moves and placements and all that from county, reception, CIW, and then camp its alot to go through. And every step of the way there is little to no information given. Just a guess..... Her reception time was like over 90 days which was tough. But she was able to get jobs and earn respect and some freedoms and calls and such. She is a very likable and good person. She doesn't do violence, drugs, or anything like that, and is VERY generous and compassionate. So throughout the whole time she keeps running into girls she has hooked up in the past, and have helped out and they have been helping her back over and over. One girl called me for her and used her own phone time to call me the other day. That was a nice tribute. I think it is nice to see that there are some girls in there that help each other.

I really hope she gets that counselor visit today and they make it all happen for her. Feb 18 is that day, but its a prop 57 day. I don't have much faith in the parole date because I don't know what they will determine. They might let her out, they really should, but they shouldn't have put her in in the first place. So I dunno what to think. This has just been a huge long nightmare.
sidewalker (10-14-2019)
Old 10-14-2019, 01:50 PM

Well I got a message from my girl that she saw the counselor at CIW and she is "endorsed" to fire camp! I think she sees the committee next and then pending that result, she will be enrolled and training the next following week!

I am praying. She gets this and she will have turned this whole situation around and become my hero! hahah
4Bobby (10-14-2019)
Old 10-14-2019, 01:58 PM
Green Eyed Monster

Amazing news! I will keep my fingers crossed.

The Following User Says Thank You to 4Bobby For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2019, 03:20 PM

Thanked 3,744 Times in 1,755 Posts

Yay lots of blessings!

The Following User Says Thank You to onedayatatime13 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2019, 01:49 PM

well she had Committee today. Seems everything is a go. They had a really positive review and along with her counselor, she is endorsed by this panel as well. I was also able to order her first package right away too. Walkenhorsts. Her list was funny. Mostly vanity items! I hope its me she wants to look good for hahahah Of course! We get a real visit this weekend too. Hoping we can keep the good fortune rolling forward.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to studebaker71 For This Useful Post:
4Bobby (10-17-2019), sidewalker (10-18-2019)
Old 10-24-2019, 07:04 PM

Well the visit went well, except for in trouble for kissing her too good. She has been registered to camp and starts Monday.

She got her package today too. She couldn’t stop crying on the phone. I feel so bad for her because it was just essentials you make her feel and look good. I’m glad that she got it.

All is well and we’re on to the next chapter of this nightmare.
4Bobby (10-25-2019), sidewalker (10-31-2019)
Old 11-08-2019, 01:02 PM

Well just as an update to anyone interested, my girl passed the physical stress test for the fire program.

The test is 3 miles timed hike with 40lb weight applied. I think the time is 40 min.

She did it with 10 min to spare. Inmates are not allowed to run during this test, just walk fast. I think the temps were getting pretty warm out there too, in the 80's.

She is 43 years old
She is 120lb

I am so so proud of her I can't even describe the feeling. She is on fire awesome.

Out of the class there was three girls including her that passed. The rest had to go back to the drawing board.

Next up she is given her "oranges" uniform and they do the classroom stuff and then at the end a final test and then they deploy to one of the three available camps. I just hope she gets Malibu, its the closest to me.

Funny fact: On visitation last week she drank 3 Gatorade (20oz bottles) one right after another in the first ten min of our visit. She is turning into a little power pack machine!!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to studebaker71 For This Useful Post:
4Bobby (11-08-2019), fbopnomore (11-08-2019), sidewalker (11-10-2019)
Old 11-09-2019, 04:01 AM
Lil British Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 11,410 Times in 4,737 Posts

Congratulations to your lady on passing her fire selection. Firefighting takes grit and stamina. Much respect to a sister firefighter.

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army.
The Following User Says Thank You to maytayah For This Useful Post:
studebaker71 (11-09-2019)
Old 11-10-2019, 08:56 AM

Donation Award 

I tell ya, the inmate firefighters kicked some serious ass up here during the latest large fire up here.
And for once.....the media put a positive spin on them. (we have a few threads here regarding this)

That's my dog's nose art

The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
studebaker71 (11-10-2019)
Old 11-10-2019, 09:32 AM

Of course I’m worried for her, but yesterday i saw her in a new light. She looks really strong and has an aura about her. She’s looking like she is carrying herself different, more confident. She haven’t had any drug or other “problems” going in but this program still did something like boosted her confidence or something. I’m really proud of her.
fbopnomore (11-10-2019), sidewalker (11-11-2019)