Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > OHIO > Ohio General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ohio General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Ohio that do not fit into any other Ohio sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 01-08-2017, 07:48 AM

Question Brother just sent to crc :( 6 years... Have questions

Hey everyone. I am new to this... My brother was just sent to CRC after being sentenced to 6 years! I'm wondering how soon he can get emails through jpay? He is currently still in his "lock down" period. Also, can anyone tell me info (or where can I find the info) on judicial release for Ohio? And last question, my sister in law was indicted on some of the same charges my brother has. They are married and have 4 kids. She currently has 4 pending felonies... Will CRC or his permanent prison deny her to have contact with him (visits, paper mail, email, phone calls) bc of her felonies? And how can she go about having contact with him? Thanks so much in advance! Any advice going through this would be wonderful. Our family is heartbroken. My brother is young and has never been arrested or in jail before. Him being slapped with 6 years is a lot for us to take in. What can we expect?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2017, 06:50 AM

Thanked 1,388 Times in 395 Posts

Judicial release is here.http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2929.20 The office of the public defender will have a packet you can download. The first thing I notice is the 6 years. He cannot apply until 5 have been served. The ability for her to visit will be up to the prison itself. I would not count on it.
I am not sure about Jpay in CRC. I know you can write to him, send pics and such. Since they changed the envelope policy, you cannot send him any until he hits home prison.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:14 AM

PTO Moderator 

I know that my fiancé, who is currently in an Ohio prison is able to communicate with other prisoners within Ohio (via US postal service - mail). I am not sure about CRC in Ohio... but In Michigan.. when you are in "classification" (CRC) you are unable to send or receive electronic correspondence. They were given a PIN # to be able to call family/friends about 10 days after they arrived. Be sure to have money on the phone account for him to be able to call. They were given 1 pre-stamped envelope (w/o paper) to write home. My son was in classification for about 45 days... the norm is about 30 days. hopefully this give you somewhat of an insight.. You will be able to find a lot of information on the Oho prison system here on PTO... I know they changed the mail policy but the only major change was unlimited pages, the use of colored envelopes, and only single folded cards are allowed.. but I don't see why you can't write snail mail during this time.

"Dios sabe porque hace las cosas"
Old 02-10-2017, 08:47 AM
The clock talks loudly

It takes about a week for the Jpay to be set up for him to access it. Once you have his inmate number you can go ahead and set up an account and add him and send him email. He will be able to get it once he receives his password. Phone calls are 15 minutes and cost 80 cents. Once they make a phone call they have to wait 30 mintues before they can make another one. That is supposed to change to an hour soon though. He will also only have 15 mins on Jpay at a time. His wife will most likely not be able to visit. She will need permission from her probation officer and the warden before she can. Once she out of trouble and off supervision she may have a better change of being allowed to visit. With that being said they can still write each other, jpay each other, and he can call her. Technically his whole time there he will be locked down for the majority of the day. My guy just left there yeaterday so if you have anymore questions feel free to contact me.