Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!






Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Prison Talk Does your issue not fit into another forum? Post it here. Find support, answers and assistance.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-05-2017, 04:38 AM
chunghwapost chunghwapost is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: May 2013
Location: China & Taiwan
Posts: 103
Thanks: 0
Thanked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Default China has very strict criminal laws

Small things may land you in prison. I am not referring to political crimes.

Illegal gambling, smuggling ordinary goods, operating a business without lisence, fake investment, firearms laws even toy replica guns, posessing even gun parts may all lead to imprisonment.

Chinese laws are harsh and very bad, even though sometimes the government do not always follow the law, but if they take everything seriously, it is very harsh.

When I was in jail, some people ended up there because they hurt someone in a fight, some were there because of some economic problem that labelled them as fraud, such as failure to pay a debt. Some people are expected to received long prison terms because they smuggled drugs, in China possession of methamphetamine more than 500 grams is punishable by death or life imprisonment.

Last edited by chunghwapost; 12-05-2017 at 04:54 AM..
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 12-05-2017, 06:10 AM
CenTexLyn CenTexLyn is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: TX-US
Posts: 14,163
Thanks: 524
Thanked 9,877 Times in 5,549 Posts
Default

Those same offenses can carry substantial sanction in other parts of the world. But we get it...you committed multiple offenses in a country where you don't like the justice system. There is nothing new in this thread that you didn't have in your other threads on the subject.

Easy answer remains "don't commit criminal acts and you don't have to deal with the criminal justice system."
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
MizzyMuffling (12-06-2017), Scott (12-06-2017)
  #3  
Old 12-05-2017, 07:41 AM
chunghwapost chunghwapost is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: May 2013
Location: China & Taiwan
Posts: 103
Thanks: 0
Thanked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTexLyn View Post
Those same offenses can carry substantial sanction in other parts of the world. But we get it...you committed multiple offenses in a country where you don't like the justice system. There is nothing new in this thread that you didn't have in your other threads on the subject.

Easy answer remains "don't commit criminal acts and you don't have to deal with the criminal justice system."
I committed only one offense.
I disagree that some offenses can carry substantial sanction in other parts of the world, take operating a business without license for example, in some countries this may not even be considered a crime, in China one may receive 5 years of imprisonment.

I agree don't commit a crime if you don't want to face the criminal justice system, I also believe punishment should fit the crime. This may not be the case in China as a lot of crimes may lead to imprisonment and no bail granted. The criminal justice system has little mercy on criminal suspects.

Last edited by chunghwapost; 12-05-2017 at 07:57 AM..
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chunghwapost For This Useful Post:
bmoreicon (12-05-2017)
  #4  
Old 12-05-2017, 08:07 AM
WARWICKSHIRE WARWICKSHIRE is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: warwickshire uk
Posts: 12
Thanks: 42
Thanked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Default

These things will often land you with a substantial sentence in the UK!
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WARWICKSHIRE For This Useful Post:
MizzyMuffling (12-06-2017)
  #5  
Old 12-05-2017, 08:22 PM
CenTexLyn CenTexLyn is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: TX-US
Posts: 14,163
Thanks: 524
Thanked 9,877 Times in 5,549 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunghwapost View Post
I committed only one offense.
I disagree that some offenses can carry substantial sanction in other parts of the world, take operating a business without license for example, in some countries this may not even be considered a crime, in China one may receive 5 years of imprisonment.

I agree don't commit a crime if you don't want to face the criminal justice system, I also believe punishment should fit the crime. This may not be the case in China as a lot of crimes may lead to imprisonment and no bail granted. The criminal justice system has little mercy on criminal suspects.
Just recently, you were posting about having eff'ed up again...and given the diatribe at that time, it sure seemed like new offense conduct.

But yes, conducting certain business without required licensure can absolutely result in criminal prosecution, even in the United States.

Bottom line is that multiple threads on the exact same subject accomplish nothing productive...
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (12-06-2017), MizzyMuffling (12-06-2017), Scott (12-06-2017), sidewalker (12-06-2017)
  #6  
Old 12-05-2017, 08:27 PM
miamac's Avatar
miamac miamac is offline
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

 

Join Date: May 2013
Location: ORnativeAZresCAtied
Posts: 8,327
Thanks: 10,725
Thanked 14,252 Times in 5,455 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunghwapost View Post
When I was in jail, some people ended up there because they hurt someone in a fight, some were there because of some economic problem that labelled them as fraud, such as failure to pay a debt. Some people are expected to received long prison terms because they smuggled drugs, in China possession of methamphetamine more than 500 grams is punishable by death or life imprisonment.
Aren't these the same things people go to prison for here in the States? I'm just not clear on your intent.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (12-06-2017)
  #7  
Old 12-05-2017, 09:34 PM
Nickel Timer's Avatar
Nickel Timer Nickel Timer is offline
Ex-Prisoner & ACLU Intern
Donation Award 
 

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Idaho, USA
Posts: 1,399
Thanks: 866
Thanked 2,110 Times in 844 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
Aren't these the same things people go to prison for here in the States? I'm just not clear on your intent.
OP seems to think the grass is greener on the other side.

Even though the U.S. locks up far more people per capita than China does.

I think if he were to ever emigrate, he might find that his unconventional business practices might just as quick land him in trouble with U.S. authorities as he has found himself in trouble with the Chinese.

(Although, granted, jail/prison conditions over there don't look very nice at all. )
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nickel Timer For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (12-06-2017), miamac (12-05-2017), MizzyMuffling (12-06-2017)
  #8  
Old 12-06-2017, 12:20 AM
chunghwapost chunghwapost is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: May 2013
Location: China & Taiwan
Posts: 103
Thanks: 0
Thanked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickel Timer View Post
OP seems to think the grass is greener on the other side.

Even though the U.S. locks up far more people per capita than China does.

I think if he were to ever emigrate, he might find that his unconventional business practices might just as quick land him in trouble with U.S. authorities as he has found himself in trouble with the Chinese.

(Although, granted, jail/prison conditions over there don't look very nice at all. )
Because I think US has a more free and fair judicial system. US is a democratic country, while China is a dictatorship, the legal system is not transparent and is corrupted, it is hard to receive a fair trial or seek remedies for cases against the government.

Yes US has a higher incarceration rate, I believe it has more to do with violent crime rate, US has more violent offenders than China. Chinese people are unsophisticated and has a culture that is shameful to be involved in criminal activity, maybe that is why, but it is not to say the Judaical system is better. China has lot of petty crime and economic related crimes such as corruption, fraud.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-06-2017, 03:55 AM
WARWICKSHIRE WARWICKSHIRE is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: warwickshire uk
Posts: 12
Thanks: 42
Thanked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunghwapost View Post
Because I think US has a more free and fair judicial system. US is a democratic country, while China is a dictatorship, the legal system is not transparent and is corrupted, it is hard to receive a fair trial or seek remedies for cases against the government.

Yes US has a higher incarceration rate, I believe it has more to do with violent crime rate, US has more violent offenders than China. Chinese people are unsophisticated and has a culture that is shameful to be involved in criminal activity, maybe that is why, but it is not to say the Judaical system is better. China has lot of petty crime and economic related crimes such as corruption, fraud.
Im strongly disagree, the Chinese people I know are NOT unsophisticated - plus, it is shameful to be involved in criminal activity in MOST cultures, including China, USA and UK.

I think you may be the unsophisticated one, who is disgruntled at serving time for your criminal ways and are looking to apportion blame to your country. Perhaps you need some time of evaluating yourself and why you make the life choices that have landed you in this situation, take responsibility for your actions and stop blaming others.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-06-2017, 04:47 AM
MizzyMuffling's Avatar
MizzyMuffling MizzyMuffling is offline
Registered User
Donation Award 
 

Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: NC & Germany
Posts: 1,921
Thanks: 1,825
Thanked 2,123 Times in 1,028 Posts
Default

Please allow me to be blunt: stop whining and stop complaining. Don't do any crimes and stay out of all trouble, then it'll be all okay. It takes two to tango. Be an advocate and do something about it to make it all better.
__________________
Follow your heart but take your brain with you...
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MizzyMuffling For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (12-06-2017), miamac (12-06-2017), WARWICKSHIRE (12-07-2017)
  #11  
Old 12-06-2017, 11:05 AM
miamac's Avatar
miamac miamac is offline
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

 

Join Date: May 2013
Location: ORnativeAZresCAtied
Posts: 8,327
Thanks: 10,725
Thanked 14,252 Times in 5,455 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunghwapost View Post
Because I think US has a more free and fair judicial system. US is a democratic country, while China is a dictatorship, the legal system is not transparent and is corrupted, it is hard to receive a fair trial or seek remedies for cases against the government.
Have you been tried in the US? I would argue that many, if not most, feel that something was askew with the process they experienced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunghwapost View Post
Yes US has a higher incarceration rate, I believe it has more to do with violent crime rate, US has more violent offenders than China.
Nah. I don't have stats at hand, but with habitual offender laws in most states, our high prison population has more to do with drugs and low-level repeat offenders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunghwapost View Post
Chinese people are unsophisticated and has a culture that is shameful to be involved in criminal activity, maybe that is why, but it is not to say the Judaical system is better. China has lot of petty crime and economic related crimes such as corruption, fraud.
I think it's unsophisticated to be involved in criminal activity, as well. Funny how that works.

Perhaps the types of crimes earning prison sentences between the countries are different. Perhaps there are differences in the ways the courts proceed. But all of that is muted when you willingly and knowingly commit a crime in that country. You're basically signing up to participate in a flawed system.

So you either use this experience to improve that system, or you clamp down, do your time and get as far away from it as you can.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (12-06-2017), WARWICKSHIRE (12-07-2017)
  #12  
Old 12-06-2017, 02:19 PM
fbopnomore fbopnomore is offline
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 
 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 24,999
Thanks: 35,263
Thanked 17,335 Times in 10,459 Posts
Default

China executes more prisoners than anyone else, and even has mobile RV execution buses, apparently so they can harvest organs efficiently. It doesn't sound like a very good option to me..

Here's an article from the Atlantic Monthly, "Why China Executes so many people"
https://www.theatlantic.com/china/ar...people/275695/
__________________

Last edited by fbopnomore; 12-06-2017 at 02:29 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-06-2017, 03:46 PM
TTTy TTTy is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Arizona, USA
Posts: 27
Thanks: 4
Thanked 21 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
China executes more prisoners than anyone else, and even has mobile RV execution buses, apparently so they can harvest organs efficiently. It doesn't sound like a very good option to me..
Interesting they execute white collar criminals.
Harvesting their organs is one way to turn a negative into a positive, i guess.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-06-2017, 06:39 PM
fbopnomore fbopnomore is offline
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 
 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 24,999
Thanks: 35,263
Thanked 17,335 Times in 10,459 Posts
Default

Positive for the government, not so much for the guy/gal whose organs are being harvested.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-07-2017, 12:54 AM
chunghwapost chunghwapost is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: May 2013
Location: China & Taiwan
Posts: 103
Thanks: 0
Thanked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
China executes more prisoners than anyone else, and even has mobile RV execution buses, apparently so they can harvest organs efficiently. It doesn't sound like a very good option to me..

Here's an article from the Atlantic Monthly, "Why China Executes so many people"
https://www.theatlantic.com/china/ar...people/275695/
That's true but usually receive death sentence if you commit something very serious in nature. As for organ harvesting I think some of them are exaggerated, even though I don't like government in China.

When I was in jail. I've met murderers but not all of them receive death sentence, however will still be locked up a long time if not life they are facing.

I did meet one though, he has to wear shackles all the time, but his case is still under appeal. I do not know the outcome because when I left he was still there fighting his case.

Most people I've met where thieves, drug dealers and users, people that hurt someone in a fight and fraudsters, petty offenses.

Last edited by chunghwapost; 12-07-2017 at 01:06 AM..
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chunghwapost For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (12-07-2017)
  #16  
Old 12-07-2017, 01:13 AM
chunghwapost chunghwapost is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: May 2013
Location: China & Taiwan
Posts: 103
Thanks: 0
Thanked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Default

I do not wish to commit a crime, I am against people that steal, rob or harm innocent people, but my business lead me in trouble with the law. The government do not like what I'm doing. There are lot of rules and sanctions against what I'm doing and some of them may not be fair and just, but if you are caught not following the rules you have to suffer.

Last edited by chunghwapost; 12-07-2017 at 01:25 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-07-2017, 11:36 AM
nines nines is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: wales, UK
Posts: 134
Thanks: 11
Thanked 84 Times in 55 Posts
Default

I think some of the things you listed in as "small things" seem to be big things around the world. In the UK, firearm possession without a licence is an automatic 4 year sentence and possessing methamphetamine that's clearly more than personal use is also a jail sentence. I can also understand why owning a business without a licence I can be a 5 year sentence too seeing China isn't really a great place for ethical business practices.

I don't think you're being persecuted at all. The reason why China might have more severe sentences compared to other countries on certain crimes is probably because they need them.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-07-2017, 11:52 AM
chunghwapost chunghwapost is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: May 2013
Location: China & Taiwan
Posts: 103
Thanks: 0
Thanked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Default

https://www.chinalawblog.com/2017/05...jail-time.html

This is good article about how strict some laws may be
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-11-2017, 02:11 PM
tdj tdj is online now
Registered User
 

Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Oklahoma U.S
Posts: 22
Thanks: 0
Thanked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTexLyn View Post
Those same offenses can carry substantial sanction in other parts of the world. But we get it...you committed multiple offenses in a country where you don't like the justice system. There is nothing new in this thread that you didn't have in your other threads on the subject.

Easy answer remains "don't commit criminal acts and you don't have to deal with the criminal justice system."
I take issue with that last statement, mainly based on personal experience. I did absolutely NOTHING wrong, yet was forced to deal with the criminal justice system. In the end, I was freed and soon to be expunged, but the psychological damage will always be there. It's not reversable. There are a shocking number of innocent people in the judicial system. The rub is trying to find out which ones really ARE innocent.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-11-2017, 02:13 PM
tdj tdj is online now
Registered User
 

Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Oklahoma U.S
Posts: 22
Thanks: 0
Thanked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nines View Post
I think some of the things you listed in as "small things" seem to be big things around the world. In the UK, firearm possession without a licence is an automatic 4 year sentence and possessing methamphetamine that's clearly more than personal use is also a jail sentence. I can also understand why owning a business without a licence I can be a 5 year sentence too seeing China isn't really a great place for ethical business practices.

I don't think you're being persecuted at all. The reason why China might have more severe sentences compared to other countries on certain crimes is probably because they need them.
China has a serious population problem, and that no doubt can cause issues with clogged judicial systems, but the main reason they have more severe sentences and such is because they are an oppressive communist society.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 12-11-2017, 02:21 PM
tdj tdj is online now
Registered User
 

Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Oklahoma U.S
Posts: 22
Thanks: 0
Thanked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunghwapost View Post
Because I think US has a more free and fair judicial system. US is a democratic country, while China is a dictatorship, the legal system is not transparent and is corrupted, it is hard to receive a fair trial or seek remedies for cases against the government.

Yes US has a higher incarceration rate, I believe it has more to do with violent crime rate, US has more violent offenders than China. Chinese people are unsophisticated and has a culture that is shameful to be involved in criminal activity, maybe that is why, but it is not to say the Judaical system is better. China has lot of petty crime and economic related crimes such as corruption, fraud.
The U.S judicial system I suppose is a little bit better then China, but make no mistake about it, you need money to truly get a fair trial in the U.S. Think about this for a moment: The indigent defense attorney is paid by the state, therefore, they work for the state, and NOT the accused. The state also pays the district attorney, or the person who is trying to convicted the accused. Now do you think for even a moment that those two attorneys are getting paid (by the state) an equal amount? Nope. The state assigned attorney for the defense is paid pennies to defend you. The prosecutor, on the other hand, is paid a rather cushy salary, by the state. If you have alot of money, then you can hire your own attorney, and THEN you get a shot at a fair trial. The amount of money an attorney gets determines how much they have in the way of resources to be able to investigate on your behalf. The district attorney not only has their income, but they have the cops, detectives, and forensics, all at their disposal.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
US prisoners sentenced under strict crack cocaine laws get relief KingsWifey Florida News & Events 5 11-07-2011 12:20 AM
China Searches For Criminal Condoms trick Asia and Pacific Prison & Criminal Justice Topics 0 11-10-2009 11:58 AM
Federal drug laws are strict Dee'swifey Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat 7 07-17-2007 02:09 PM
Iowa Criminal Code or Iowa Criminal laws on line to print off? misserinjoy IOWA Prison & Criminal Justice Discussions 9 06-12-2005 11:56 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:49 PM.
Copyright © 2001- 2017 Prison Talk Online
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Website Design & Custom vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media
Message Board Statistics