Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Prison Talk Does your issue not fit into another forum? Post it here. Find support, answers and assistance.

Old 12-05-2017, 04:38 AM

Default China has very strict criminal laws

Small things may land you in prison. I am not referring to political crimes.

Illegal gambling, smuggling ordinary goods, operating a business without lisence, fake investment, firearms laws even toy replica guns, posessing even gun parts may all lead to imprisonment.

Chinese laws are harsh and very bad, even though sometimes the government do not always follow the law, but if they take everything seriously, it is very harsh.

When I was in jail, some people ended up there because they hurt someone in a fight, some were there because of some economic problem that labelled them as fraud, such as failure to pay a debt. Some people are expected to received long prison terms because they smuggled drugs, in China possession of methamphetamine more than 500 grams is punishable by death or life imprisonment.

Last edited by chunghwapost; 12-05-2017 at 04:54 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2017, 06:10 AM

Thanked 9,877 Times in 5,549 Posts

Those same offenses can carry substantial sanction in other parts of the world. But we get it...you committed multiple offenses in a country where you don't like the justice system. There is nothing new in this thread that you didn't have in your other threads on the subject.

Easy answer remains "don't commit criminal acts and you don't have to deal with the criminal justice system."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
MizzyMuffling (12-06-2017), Scott (12-06-2017)
Old 12-05-2017, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTexLyn View Post
Those same offenses can carry substantial sanction in other parts of the world. But we get it...you committed multiple offenses in a country where you don't like the justice system. There is nothing new in this thread that you didn't have in your other threads on the subject.

Easy answer remains "don't commit criminal acts and you don't have to deal with the criminal justice system."
I committed only one offense.
I disagree that some offenses can carry substantial sanction in other parts of the world, take operating a business without license for example, in some countries this may not even be considered a crime, in China one may receive 5 years of imprisonment.

I agree don't commit a crime if you don't want to face the criminal justice system, I also believe punishment should fit the crime. This may not be the case in China as a lot of crimes may lead to imprisonment and no bail granted. The criminal justice system has little mercy on criminal suspects.

Last edited by chunghwapost; 12-05-2017 at 07:57 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to chunghwapost For This Useful Post:
bmoreicon (12-05-2017)
Old 12-05-2017, 08:07 AM

These things will often land you with a substantial sentence in the UK!
The Following User Says Thank You to WARWICKSHIRE For This Useful Post:
MizzyMuffling (12-06-2017)
Old 12-05-2017, 08:22 PM

Thanked 9,877 Times in 5,549 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunghwapost View Post
I committed only one offense.
I disagree that some offenses can carry substantial sanction in other parts of the world, take operating a business without license for example, in some countries this may not even be considered a crime, in China one may receive 5 years of imprisonment.

I agree don't commit a crime if you don't want to face the criminal justice system, I also believe punishment should fit the crime. This may not be the case in China as a lot of crimes may lead to imprisonment and no bail granted. The criminal justice system has little mercy on criminal suspects.
Just recently, you were posting about having eff'ed up again...and given the diatribe at that time, it sure seemed like new offense conduct.

But yes, conducting certain business without required licensure can absolutely result in criminal prosecution, even in the United States.

Bottom line is that multiple threads on the exact same subject accomplish nothing productive...
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (12-06-2017), MizzyMuffling (12-06-2017), Scott (12-06-2017), sidewalker (12-06-2017)
Old 12-05-2017, 08:27 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 14,252 Times in 5,455 Posts

Quote:
When I was in jail, some people ended up there because they hurt someone in a fight, some were there because of some economic problem that labelled them as fraud, such as failure to pay a debt. Some people are expected to received long prison terms because they smuggled drugs, in China possession of methamphetamine more than 500 grams is punishable by death or life imprisonment.
Aren't these the same things people go to prison for here in the States? I'm just not clear on your intent.
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (12-06-2017)
Old 12-05-2017, 09:34 PM
Ex-Prisoner & ACLU Intern
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,110 Times in 844 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
Aren't these the same things people go to prison for here in the States? I'm just not clear on your intent.
OP seems to think the grass is greener on the other side.

Even though the U.S. locks up far more people per capita than China does.

I think if he were to ever emigrate, he might find that his unconventional business practices might just as quick land him in trouble with U.S. authorities as he has found himself in trouble with the Chinese.

(Although, granted, jail/prison conditions over there don't look very nice at all. )
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nickel Timer For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (12-06-2017), miamac (12-05-2017), MizzyMuffling (12-06-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickel Timer View Post
OP seems to think the grass is greener on the other side.

Even though the U.S. locks up far more people per capita than China does.

I think if he were to ever emigrate, he might find that his unconventional business practices might just as quick land him in trouble with U.S. authorities as he has found himself in trouble with the Chinese.

(Although, granted, jail/prison conditions over there don't look very nice at all. )
Because I think US has a more free and fair judicial system. US is a democratic country, while China is a dictatorship, the legal system is not transparent and is corrupted, it is hard to receive a fair trial or seek remedies for cases against the government.

Yes US has a higher incarceration rate, I believe it has more to do with violent crime rate, US has more violent offenders than China. Chinese people are unsophisticated and has a culture that is shameful to be involved in criminal activity, maybe that is why, but it is not to say the Judaical system is better. China has lot of petty crime and economic related crimes such as corruption, fraud.
Old 12-06-2017, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Because I think US has a more free and fair judicial system. US is a democratic country, while China is a dictatorship, the legal system is not transparent and is corrupted, it is hard to receive a fair trial or seek remedies for cases against the government.

Yes US has a higher incarceration rate, I believe it has more to do with violent crime rate, US has more violent offenders than China. Chinese people are unsophisticated and has a culture that is shameful to be involved in criminal activity, maybe that is why, but it is not to say the Judaical system is better. China has lot of petty crime and economic related crimes such as corruption, fraud.
Im strongly disagree, the Chinese people I know are NOT unsophisticated - plus, it is shameful to be involved in criminal activity in MOST cultures, including China, USA and UK.

I think you may be the unsophisticated one, who is disgruntled at serving time for your criminal ways and are looking to apportion blame to your country. Perhaps you need some time of evaluating yourself and why you make the life choices that have landed you in this situation, take responsibility for your actions and stop blaming others.
Old 12-06-2017, 04:47 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,123 Times in 1,028 Posts

Please allow me to be blunt: stop whining and stop complaining. Don't do any crimes and stay out of all trouble, then it'll be all okay. It takes two to tango. Be an advocate and do something about it to make it all better.
Fridyrr.Likn (12-06-2017), miamac (12-06-2017), WARWICKSHIRE (12-07-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 11:05 AM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 14,252 Times in 5,455 Posts

Quote:
Have you been tried in the US? I would argue that many, if not most, feel that something was askew with the process they experienced.

Quote:
Yes US has a higher incarceration rate, I believe it has more to do with violent crime rate, US has more violent offenders than China.
Nah. I don't have stats at hand, but with habitual offender laws in most states, our high prison population has more to do with drugs and low-level repeat offenders.
Quote:
Chinese people are unsophisticated and has a culture that is shameful to be involved in criminal activity, maybe that is why, but it is not to say the Judaical system is better. China has lot of petty crime and economic related crimes such as corruption, fraud.
I think it's unsophisticated to be involved in criminal activity, as well. Funny how that works.

Perhaps the types of crimes earning prison sentences between the countries are different. Perhaps there are differences in the ways the courts proceed. But all of that is muted when you willingly and knowingly commit a crime in that country. You're basically signing up to participate in a flawed system.

So you either use this experience to improve that system, or you clamp down, do your time and get as far away from it as you can.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (12-06-2017), WARWICKSHIRE (12-07-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 02:19 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 17,335 Times in 10,459 Posts

China executes more prisoners than anyone else, and even has mobile RV execution buses, apparently so they can harvest organs efficiently. It doesn't sound like a very good option to me..

Here's an article from the Atlantic Monthly, "Why China Executes so many people"
https://www.theatlantic.com/china/ar...people/275695/

Last edited by fbopnomore; 12-06-2017 at 02:29 PM..
Old 12-06-2017, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
China executes more prisoners than anyone else, and even has mobile RV execution buses, apparently so they can harvest organs efficiently. It doesn't sound like a very good option to me..
Interesting they execute white collar criminals.
Harvesting their organs is one way to turn a negative into a positive, i guess.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:39 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 17,335 Times in 10,459 Posts

Positive for the government, not so much for the guy/gal whose organs are being harvested.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post

Here's an article from the Atlantic Monthly, "Why China Executes so many people"
https://www.theatlantic.com/china/ar...people/275695/
That's true but usually receive death sentence if you commit something very serious in nature. As for organ harvesting I think some of them are exaggerated, even though I don't like government in China.

When I was in jail. I've met murderers but not all of them receive death sentence, however will still be locked up a long time if not life they are facing.

I did meet one though, he has to wear shackles all the time, but his case is still under appeal. I do not know the outcome because when I left he was still there fighting his case.

Most people I've met where thieves, drug dealers and users, people that hurt someone in a fight and fraudsters, petty offenses.

Last edited by chunghwapost; 12-07-2017 at 01:06 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to chunghwapost For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (12-07-2017)
Old 12-07-2017, 01:13 AM

I do not wish to commit a crime, I am against people that steal, rob or harm innocent people, but my business lead me in trouble with the law. The government do not like what I'm doing. There are lot of rules and sanctions against what I'm doing and some of them may not be fair and just, but if you are caught not following the rules you have to suffer.

Last edited by chunghwapost; 12-07-2017 at 01:25 AM..
Old 12-07-2017, 11:36 AM

I think some of the things you listed in as "small things" seem to be big things around the world. In the UK, firearm possession without a licence is an automatic 4 year sentence and possessing methamphetamine that's clearly more than personal use is also a jail sentence. I can also understand why owning a business without a licence I can be a 5 year sentence too seeing China isn't really a great place for ethical business practices.

I don't think you're being persecuted at all. The reason why China might have more severe sentences compared to other countries on certain crimes is probably because they need them.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:52 AM

https://www.chinalawblog.com/2017/05...jail-time.html

This is good article about how strict some laws may be
Old 12-11-2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTexLyn View Post

I take issue with that last statement, mainly based on personal experience. I did absolutely NOTHING wrong, yet was forced to deal with the criminal justice system. In the end, I was freed and soon to be expunged, but the psychological damage will always be there. It's not reversable. There are a shocking number of innocent people in the judicial system. The rub is trying to find out which ones really ARE innocent.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nines View Post
I think some of the things you listed in as "small things" seem to be big things around the world. In the UK, firearm possession without a licence is an automatic 4 year sentence and possessing methamphetamine that's clearly more than personal use is also a jail sentence. I can also understand why owning a business without a licence I can be a 5 year sentence too seeing China isn't really a great place for ethical business practices.

I don't think you're being persecuted at all. The reason why China might have more severe sentences compared to other countries on certain crimes is probably because they need them.
China has a serious population problem, and that no doubt can cause issues with clogged judicial systems, but the main reason they have more severe sentences and such is because they are an oppressive communist society.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:21 PM

Quote:

The U.S judicial system I suppose is a little bit better then China, but make no mistake about it, you need money to truly get a fair trial in the U.S. Think about this for a moment: The indigent defense attorney is paid by the state, therefore, they work for the state, and NOT the accused. The state also pays the district attorney, or the person who is trying to convicted the accused. Now do you think for even a moment that those two attorneys are getting paid (by the state) an equal amount? Nope. The state assigned attorney for the defense is paid pennies to defend you. The prosecutor, on the other hand, is paid a rather cushy salary, by the state. If you have alot of money, then you can hire your own attorney, and THEN you get a shot at a fair trial. The amount of money an attorney gets determines how much they have in the way of resources to be able to investigate on your behalf. The district attorney not only has their income, but they have the cops, detectives, and forensics, all at their disposal.