Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > OREGON > Oregon Parole, Probation, Work Release, Halfway Houses & Community Service
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Oregon Parole, Probation, Work Release, Halfway Houses & Community Service All information relating to parole, probation, halfway houses, community service and electronic monitoring in Oregon should be posted here.

Old 11-10-2019, 08:17 PM

Question Hasn't met with Release Counselor - should he be worried?

My friend is at TRCI in Umatilla. His conviction was in Yamhill County, which is where he wants to be released to. While in, he got in an altercation with a guard and received a conviction for that.

He's been in nearly ten years and has only ever met with any kind of counselor once. He has yet to hear from a release counselor. He has put in for transfers, trying to get closer to home. He's worried he's going to get released to Umatilla.

To be honest, I don't really know how all anyone this works. I know that he has sent numerous "Kytes"? about not seeing a counselor and they just keep getting routed back to his counselors boss, no matter how high up the chain he tries to push them.

I'm just trying to help where I can. I've been trying to do some research to try to find housing/employment resources in Yamhill County if he does get released here, but I haven't found much because 1) He doesn't have a drug/alcohol addiction 2) He has a low "acres"? score 3) Most of Yamhill County's services are reserved for women, families, or homeless.

So I have a few questions.
1) Should he be worried that he hasn't heard from a release counselor yet?
2) Are there any advocacy groups/resources that might help him facilitate his making his release plan?
3) Is there a way for him to get transferred without seeing any kind of counselor? (His normal counselor won't make time to see him either).
4) Can he pick any county to be released to? I noticed that Lane, Marion, and Multnomah counties have a lot more resources than Yamhill County, so maybe he would have a better chance at success if he was released to one of those.
5) Any advice on release, resources, etc is definitely welcome.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2019, 09:17 PM

Standard 6 mo the to the gate 180 days to release they are shipped to the closest facility to where they are patrolling. If he assaulted a cop they might be Messing with him. They won’t parole him to Umatilla county just because he is at two rivers that is against the contract with the city. He will go to wherever the conviction occurred unless he successfully transfers to another county upon his request. He will see a release counselor 30 days before release.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kimimi For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (11-11-2019)
Old 11-11-2019, 06:49 AM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 8,546 Times in 3,341 Posts

They are supposed to release him to the county in which he was convicted, regardless of where he calls home. He can put in for a change of release, and there's a not-zero chance that it would be approved assuming he 1) has no family or support network in/near Umatilla/TriCities and 2) does have support/family in Yamhill.

Quote:
1) Should he be worried that he hasn't heard from a release counselor yet?
2) Are there any advocacy groups/resources that might help him facilitate his making his release plan?
3) Is there a way for him to get transferred without seeing any kind of counselor? (His normal counselor won't make time to see him either).
4) Can he pick any county to be released to? I noticed that Lane, Marion, and Multnomah counties have a lot more resources than Yamhill County, so maybe he would have a better chance at success if he was released to one of those.
5) Any advice on release, resources, etc is definitely welcome.
1. As Kimimi said, it's pretty typical for him to get moved to someplace with release programs around 6 months prior to release, and then to get his paperwork about 3 months prior to release (though I've heard of paperwork not getting to the person until a week prior to release.

2. His release plan is pretty much entirely under the direction of DOC. I don't know of any advocacy groups that can work with him on the inside to move this along. His best bet is to request an appointment with his counselor, if his counselor does not respond, then send a kyte to the next person up the chain explaining that he has not yet seen his counselor, that he'd like to see his counselor, and that the counselor is not replying to his kytes. He'll need to keep at this until he finally sees someone.

3. If he commits a crime egregious enough, he can definitely get transferred without seeing his counselor - I don't recommend that. So he really does need to advocate for his right to speak with his counselor.

4. He can request to be released to any county anywhere in the US. The difficult part is the paperwork. To release to a county in which he was NOT convicted, he'll need to request a release transfer. He may be able to do this through other channels than his counselor, I'm not sure (receiving and departures might have them?).

5. I think his best bet at the moment is to send at least 3 more kytes to his counselor requesting a meeting. The kytes should be worded civilly (no taking out frustrations on the counsellor), written so they're easily readable (penmanship), and make mention of the other dates on which a kyte was sent (e.g., "On October 31, I sent a kyte requesting a meeting with you, however, I have not heard back. I'm hoping this kyte reaches you. I need to set an appointment with you regarding my upcoming departure"). Definitely don't sound angry or hostile (no matter how angry he is) - all kytes are kept on record in both hardcopy and electronic form, so what he's trying to do is establish a paper trail.

I wish him luck. The biggest thing for him to figure out is if he's going to be releasing soon, if so, is he releasing to Umatilla or Yamhill. If his sentences are running consecutively, he would release to where the most recent crime was committed (Umatilla). DOC does attempt to get people back to their family upon release.

I know I haven't given you much information that you didn't already have, but ... it's how the system works.

Welcome to PTO. I hope to see your name around more often, though I'm sorry you need to be here at all.
The Following User Says Thank You to GingerM For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (11-11-2019)
Old 11-16-2019, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerM View Post
They are supposed to release him to the county in which he was convicted, regardless of where he calls home. He can put in for a change of release, and there's a not-zero chance that it would be approved assuming he 1) has no family or support network in/near Umatilla/TriCities and 2) does have support/family in Yamhill.

1. As Kimimi said, it's pretty typical for him to get moved to someplace with release programs around 6 months prior to release, and then to get his paperwork about 3 months prior to release (though I've heard of paperwork not getting to the person until a week prior to release.

2. His release plan is pretty much entirely under the direction of DOC. I don't know of any advocacy groups that can work with him on the inside to move this along. His best bet is to request an appointment with his counselor, if his counselor does not respond, then send a kyte to the next person up the chain explaining that he has not yet seen his counselor, that he'd like to see his counselor, and that the counselor is not replying to his kytes. He'll need to keep at this until he finally sees someone.

3. If he commits a crime egregious enough, he can definitely get transferred without seeing his counselor - I don't recommend that. So he really does need to advocate for his right to speak with his counselor.

4. He can request to be released to any county anywhere in the US. The difficult part is the paperwork. To release to a county in which he was NOT convicted, he'll need to request a release transfer. He may be able to do this through other channels than his counselor, I'm not sure (receiving and departures might have them?).

5. I think his best bet at the moment is to send at least 3 more kytes to his counselor requesting a meeting. The kytes should be worded civilly (no taking out frustrations on the counsellor), written so they're easily readable (penmanship), and make mention of the other dates on which a kyte was sent (e.g., "On October 31, I sent a kyte requesting a meeting with you, however, I have not heard back. I'm hoping this kyte reaches you. I need to set an appointment with you regarding my upcoming departure"). Definitely don't sound angry or hostile (no matter how angry he is) - all kytes are kept on record in both hardcopy and electronic form, so what he's trying to do is establish a paper trail.

I wish him luck. The biggest thing for him to figure out is if he's going to be releasing soon, if so, is he releasing to Umatilla or Yamhill. If his sentences are running consecutively, he would release to where the most recent crime was committed (Umatilla). DOC does attempt to get people back to their family upon release.

I know I haven't given you much information that you didn't already have, but ... it's how the system works.

Welcome to PTO. I hope to see your name around more often, though I'm sorry you need to be here at all.
Thank you both for your responses. They were more helpful than anything else I have been able to find. I let him know.

He has been sending Kytes once a week. He just received a response from someone who said that his counselor isn't his counselor anymore and wouldn't be responded. He also said that he couldn't help him because he doesn't have his case, but he would let him know when he is assigned a new counselor.

- Seems like a terrible time not to have a counselor to me.

The altercation with the guard was the most recent crime and it was in Umatilla, but it was a long time ago - 4 years maybe? So I hope they wouldn't be giving him a hard time about that now.

He had been requesting to be put into some release programs for quite a few months after not being able to reach his counselor, but just got a response that he would need to meet with his counselor to get referred into them (which he had tried to do), but now that he has less than 6 months to the gate, he wouldn't even qualify.

His Dad moved to Hawaii a couple of years ago and his brother doesn't have any room at his place in Yamhill county, so I am hoping that won't hurt his release.

Does anyone know if he gets released to Umatilla, does he have to stay there and be homeless? or will he be able to put in some sort of transfer once he's out?
Old 11-16-2019, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 8,546 Times in 3,341 Posts

He can put in for a transfer to a different county as soon as he knows who his counselor is. He would send a kyte to his counselor requesting a transfer to whichever county he wanted to release to and listing the reason why. Best to give the reason that he has "social support" there, and not any other reason (no mentions of love or girlfriend or anything like that).

You can help him by looking him up on the Oregon Offender Search here: http://docpub.state.or.us/OOS/intro.jsf

At the bottom, on the left side, you'll see his caseload number and his counselor's name. You can send that to him. If he waits to hear who his counselor is from the staff, it'll be a long wait. I've had to send guy's their counselor's name and caseload before because they weren't able to get the information on their own.

Once he gets the information from you, he'll be able to send kytes to the right person about both his release and a county transfer. There's no guarantee on the county transfer, but DOC generally wants to release people to somewhere where the newly released person has a social support network. Study after study shows that social support is critical in decreasing the likelihood of recidivism.

As for what would happen if he released to Umatilla, well, it wouldn't be pretty at all. For now, let's hope that he can get this all lined up and release to where you are so you can help him.
The Following User Says Thank You to GingerM For This Useful Post:
Visitor611 (11-16-2019)